Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6,000 Free Supercharger Miles for Taking Delivery by Dec 31st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question.

If I change car, can I use the remaining free miles?

I'll give back my company car, and I'll buy privately another M3 (or MY). What happens to my remaining 5k miles?
Unless you have both cars registered to accounts in your own name at the same time you will lose the free miles.

You have to transfer from one to another using a second account in your own name before removing the original car. I went through this process extensively with Tesla prior to switching and retaining my original referral miles. It will kit work any other way.

Reactions: giorgosa
Unless you have both cars registered to accounts in your own name at the same time you will lose the free miles.

You have to transfer from one to another using a second account in your own name before removing the original car. I went through this process extensively with Tesla prior to switching and retaining my original referral miles. It will kit work any other way.
Thanks, just to be clear.

I'll change the email address of my account (as I have my current work email which won't be valid).

Then do I need to have both cars under my account for some days in order to keep the miles?

Or do I need a brand new account to have again both cars for some days?

Thanks, just to be clear.

I'll change the email address of my account (as I have my current work email which won't be valid).

Then do I need to have both cars under my account for some days in order to keep the miles?

Or do I need a brand new account to have again both cars for some days?
You need two accounts & it only works this way:

Keep the current car and then buy the new one so you own both at the same time (if you sell the current car before the new car is on your existing account Tesla will delete any remanning supercharger miles)
  • Original account with current car and new car on it at the same time (SuC miles still registered against current car)
  • Create a new account with a different email address
  • Transfer via the app ('Sell') the existing car from the current account to the new account, leaving only the new car on the original account
  • At that point, as soon as the original car is removed from that account the SuC miles stay and can be used by the new car
  • The original car on the new account no longer has free miles and any SuC sessions will be charged to your registered card.
  • Now you can physically hand back or sell the original car
However, I did this with two Teslas both purchased for cash and fully owned by me - it may not work if a company car is involved, only Tesla can tell you that. I made my transaction sitting in the Tesla Service Centre with their advisor on the phone and online to Tesla Netherlands as nobody seemed to have done this previously in order to retain the free miles and they weren't sure it would even work (it did)

You need two accounts & it only works this way:

Keep the current car and then buy the new one so you own both at the same time (if you sell the current car before the new car is on your existing account Tesla will delete any remanning supercharger miles)
  • Original account with current car and new car on it at the same time (SuC miles still registered against current car)
  • Create a new account with a different email address
  • Transfer via the app ('Sell') the existing car from the current account to the new account, leaving only the new car on the original account
  • At that point, as soon as the original car is removed from that account the SuC miles stay and can be used by the new car
  • The original car on the new account no longer has free miles and any SuC sessions will be charged to your registered card.
  • Now you can physically hand back or sell the original car
However, I did this with two Teslas both purchased for cash and fully owned by me - it may not work if a company car is involved, only Tesla can tell you that. I made my transaction sitting in the Tesla Service Centre with their advisor on the phone and online to Tesla Netherlands as nobody seemed to have done this previously in order to retain the free miles and they weren't sure it would even work (it did)
Thank you! Really appreciate it!

I am a bit worried that I am going to lose the miles, as it is a company car I won’t be able to transfer it to my second account (only if leasing company does it, but I doubt they’ll do it a few days before getting the car back).

I’ll send an email to a Tesla advisor to get a guidance and I’ll try to negotiate it as part of my new order…

Thank you! Really appreciate it!

I am a bit worried that I am going to lose the miles, as it is a company car I won’t be able to transfer it to my second account (only if leasing company does it, but I doubt they’ll do it a few days before getting the car back).

I’ll send an email to a Tesla advisor to get a guidance and I’ll try to negotiate it as part of my new order…
Back of a fag packet calculations, 6000 miles is a couple of hundred quid of SC fees.
Definitely worth trying to hold on to them but hardly worth losing sleep over in the context of the purchase of a £50k+ car, IMHO

Reactions: giorgosa