Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6,000 Free Supercharger Miles for Taking Delivery by Dec 31st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, looks like they are extending the dates a bit, to 9th Jan:

Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 09.44.31.png

For info for those business lease, I didn’t get any emails about this, and have checked this morning and they are showing in my loot box. Collected 16th so presume they are adding in date order?
Business lease MY RWD ALD

The one thing to watch with lease and company cars is the date that matters is the date Tesla delivered to the intermediary which may be a few days earlier than the delivery date to you. Hopefully it doesn't cause a problem with anybody on here.

Reactions: giorgosa
Anyone with Lex on a Company lease had confirmation this will be applied? Tesla advised it’s up to Lex.
Spoke to Tesla yesterday they said it was up to Lex. Spoke to Lex this morning and they said they would email Tesla to get it added to the account. Just spoke to Tesla again and they said nothing needs to be done - it’s all automated from Tesla to the car and will happen this month 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: Mr Puzzles
I got the response below from Tesla:

‘So far, the Free Supercharging miles have only been added to customers who are not on lease.

This is why you know people who have them already. It takes longer for it to reflect on lease orders given we have to work with / via the leasing institution. You can rest assured that your free miles will be added shortly.’

I think we’ll get the miles soon.

Reactions: RDPM
I got the response below from Tesla:

‘So far, the Free Supercharging miles have only been added to customers who are not on lease.

This is why you know people who have them already. It takes longer for it to reflect on lease orders given we have to work with / via the leasing institution. You can rest assured that your free miles will be added shortly.’

I think we’ll get the miles soon.
Just got mine so it looks like they’re working through them 👍

Reactions: giorgosa
This may well be a dumb question (brand new EV driver!) - but how will they know when you've used 6,000 miles? I assume there is some way of calculating how much you charge vs miles but assume it's only approx?
They don't. You get a kWh credit which may or may not roughly equate to 6000 miles.

iirc they roughly use the conversion of 400kWh for 1000 miles. Watts that ;) 2.5 miles/kWh? So I'm guessing a 2400kWh credit?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
In my opinion, life's too short to stress about how this is calculated.

Think about it - you could drive like a loon & run at an average of well over 600kWh or like a nun and achieve something like 250kWh (or much lower on some summer journeys) & every time you supercharge you add energy in kWh's not miles. Tesla is using an average based on the cars' theoretical EPA/WLTP or whatever to calculate this but showing as miles because it's easy for anyone to comprehend. Realistically they should just give us a total of available free kWh's of course, but it's not such a marketable headline.

Before the original scheme closed in 2021 I earned 12,000 'miles' and my first car averaged 253kWh over 32 months & 23000 miles. The simple way I look at that is... the energy I consumed 'from' supercharging (~8000 miles deducted from the original total) contributed to that efficiency but I'm sure that if my car had averaged much higher, I would have used more than 8000 miles of the original. It's all a hypothetical calculation because you could also drive gently after supercharging to eke out the miles those kWh's gave you but more aggressively other at times - who knows what came from where? No different to variances in mpg.

Of course, life would be so much simpler if energy suppliers would just bill all energy consumed on home smart meters as miles wouldn't it?

Just appreciate and enjoy your free miles!

(I have just under 4000 miles left to use by May 2024 with my current car)

Last edited:
I love it when people are so blazé about the free miles because they have lots of it and people like me, look upon you with jealousy because I don’t have any

🤓

6,000 miles with home charging and "best" Off Peak rate is £100-quid ... so look attractive, but actually is not going to buy a lot

If you are driving somewhere (Australia?!!) and use them at a Supercharger at, say, 40p / kWh then its around £600 :cool:

But if you aren't driving somewhere and go to Supercharger just to "claim" them, and you optimally only charge "sweet-spot" 10% - 70%, then you are going to be sat at the Supercharger for 12 hours ... which is £50 an hour. Bit more than minimum wage, but ...