Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6.1.2.2.113 installed. Now I have XM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I had not. However, from perusing the forums, I was under the impression that no Pano roof= no XM. Not true?

I think that is true for orders going forward as of a certain date but when they announced it, previous orders would still have it.

Also, it was definitely the reboot that brought it back. When I took delivery of my P85D with a specific 6.0 software (don't remember the revision now) XM was not there. I did a reboot and XM was back.

To my knowledge the presence of XM radio should be dependent only on whether you have the ultra high fidelity sound system.

This was changed, according to the Tesla design studio. Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors

Under Ultra High Fidelity Sound, it says:

XM satellite radio antenna is only compatible with the All Glass Panoramic Roof

Originally, before the first deliveries, Tesla had said you would need the pano roof for XM, but then apparently found a solution to antenna placement, and offered XM with or without the pano roof. They must have decided there was some issue with that configuration.

Tesla has no better engineering than that? An XM antenna is an easy thing. Many simply install it in the dash. I don't know where mine is but I do not have the pano roof. So it has been done already and I don't see any reason to undo what they have already accomplished?

OTOH based on the title of this thread I was sort of hoping to hear Tesla was now providing owners with free XM, possibly for reducing 3G bandwidth consumption of internet radio. Now that I have Slacker trained its quite acceptable, even nice to be able to skip a song I'm not in the mood for, and blacklist the stinky songs. But there are hiccups. Usually when transitioning from WiFi to 3G. And then today 3G dropped out completely for hours until I reset the center console. Then a bit later dropped yet again. Update is scheduled for tonight. 3G was dead when I parked but it did connect to WiFi. So we'll see what happens.