Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TACC is amazing. It takes a little getting used to, but it will stop the car completely if the car in front stops, go into a hold mode and just needs a tap on the accelerator to get you moving again in TACC mode still. It works quite well on windy roads, but tends to follow the car in the adjacent lane if there is no car in front of you at times. I also noticed all the surround sensors are working now, not just the front and back ones.

The cruise control works pretty well as everyone is commenting, but it does make some mistakes. Today while coming up a hill with a blind rise and a traffic light at the top it accelerated (Since it not have a car in sight), and then did not actually stop as it failed to see the Stopped car. I had to jam on brakes!! The traffic light is just over the top of the rise. Does indeed take some getting used to.
Also, today got to see The collision warning. It doesn't do anything but it flashes a graphic on the dashboard with a red explosion between two cars and an urgent sound. It does pull you up. It should be noted that there was no danger the time, and I probably have it set too sensitive. Just as well it does not jam on the breaks, if it did, it could actually cause an accident.

The reversing lines are very accurate. For us probably OK in white, but a different colour such as yellow might be better. I can see that in snow it would be a real issue. Thank god most us here don't need to worry about that!! Maybe this is advance planning for global warming? Haha.
The trip prediction graph was exactly spot on over an admittedly short route, 25 km. since I don't have any immediate plans for a road trip, this was the best I could do in the short term.
Haven't tried the speed up when overtaking yet.

All in all, a really good update. Now, if they fixed the gps to offer alternate routes, show speed cameras etc.... We would be looking really good!!!

Last edited:
I was a bit disappointed by the parking sensors before 6.1, the car didn't seem to know the difference between an obstruction in front or to the side, the update has substantial improved the intelligence of the sensors and I get very many fewer false stop warnings.
I'm still getting to grips with the new steering wheel controls but they seem to have more intelligence too, I opened the pano but my passenger complained of the heat of the sun; when I pressed the scroll wheel it seemed to offer the closed position immediately where before I had to spin the wheel all the way back to get to closed.
The backup lines are also making me a better parker but I'm still finding it really difficult to get the car parallel to the curb.

Did you get to try the auto high beams too? They look pretty awesome in one of Bjorn's videos

Yes!
I drove home from Nth Canberra to Burra last night after 9pm and only touched the dimmer lever once - to make sure it still worked- it doesn't if the Auto dimmer is on!
Car was a bit confused by bright roadside signs sometimes but overall the system works amazingly well.

How does one program a return route into the GPS? That is, from say home to a destination and back. (mainly for the purpose of the energy prediction graph). Also, any info whether one can program a multistop route? Far as i can see, as yet, you can't.

How does one program a return route into the GPS? That is, from say home to a destination and back. (mainly for the purpose of the energy prediction graph). Also, any info whether one can program a multistop route? Far as i can see, as yet, you can't.

Hi Dborn, check out Bjorn Nyland indepth review of update 6.1 on his youtube site link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVD8fmMwWPA
He talks about the return navigation from around the 5min 20 sec mark

So I was playing with the TACC on the freeway yesterday with the speed set to 80. I was behind a car doing about 50 that pulled out of the lane and I immediately began accelerating as expected. Then a car pulled into the gap that had opened up in front of me from the other direction. I smugly sat there and waited for my car to notice it and decelerate again. Except it didn't! It kept getting faster and the collision warning went off. I hit the brakes and pulled back with nothing happening but I definitely got a small fright.

On researching this I discovered that this is actually normal expected behaviour. In the release notes for 6.1 it states 'TACC has limited capabilities to detect vehicles merging into your lane at close distances, in whichcase driver intervention may be required'. It sounds like this is pretty normal in other makes of cars with adaptive cruise control as well.

I thought I should post this here as many others have probably not read the release notes in any detail (I hadn't) and the enthusiasm for this feature can quickly overwhelm your caution.

From my limited playing, i have noticed this too. I now don't really think it is suitable for Sydney streets in particular, with all the hills and blind rises. It would be OK, possibly on the expressways and longer straightaways, but if there are a lot of roundabouts etc, not so good!. speeding up as you go into a roundabout (with no other cars around) not a good idea!!

Tested the "Autopilot"

I put in a destination on my GPS
Got out on to the main road
Turned the AutoPilot on and jumped in the back seat for a nap
This is gonna be great!
I will just need to land, i.e. park the car manually when i get there, since the car cant do that yet...

I woke up on the tow truck!

I can confirm it didn't work like I expected!

:)

View attachment 71825

But seriously, the should have just called it Active Cruise Control....