Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-15 Adaptor not charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Is this a 6-15 UMC adaptor recently purchased from Tesla? That's a pretty rare thing.
A 6-15 is 240v 15A. Do you mean the 'spare' connector instead? Can you post a photo?
Do you mean a 5-15, i.e. 110v 15A?
If you do mean a 6-15 I would check the voltage of the outlet. I know that if the UMC sees 110v instead of 240v, the hot and neutral conductors have to be wired right or you get a strange error. I'm thinking your 6-15 outlet might be wrongly wired to be 110v.

NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A NEMA 5-15 is your typical grounded outlet 15A 120 (110) outlet with two flat vertical slats (one taller than the other) and a circular ground beneath. I'd venture to say these are the most common outlets in the US and are what you would use with the 120 (110) mobile charger (yellow). A 6-15 is supposed to be a 240 (220) outlet with two flat horizontal slats and a circular ground beneath. Since both are 3 wire outlets, you could wire a 6-15 receptical on a 120 (110) circuit, but that would generally be dangerous unless specially labeled and would not be to code. I would imagine that a 240 (220) mobile charger would complain if you plugged a 6-15 into a 120 (110) circuit. I'm guessing it might also complain if the ground was not connected.

I'm not an electrician so there could certainly be some special application of which I'm not aware.

Do you have a receptacle tester? Such as:
http://www.transcat.com/ideal-industries-61-501-61-501

Test the outlet. If you are using an extension cord, test the cord. Years ago I found that an extension cord I just purchased had the hot and the return wires switched. Simple devices might not notice that error, but the Tesla will!

-----

Sorry--my brain was not working. It just registered that you are stating this is a 6-15 pigtail outlet which is only a 110v/15A, and not the 5-15 outlet. Here is a chart of the NEMA outlets that you might find:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._pins.svg/1036px-NEMA_simplified_pins.svg.png

If it truly is a 6-15 outlet, I don't think Tesla makes any compatible adapters. However, you could make your own adapter. Just be careful, and always test receptacles before using non-standard adapters.

Last edited: