Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced this today while on the Hume Highway (close to the Barton Highway turn-off). I assume it's part of range assurance. I didn't follow the instructions (continued on at the speed limit) and made it to my destination with ample charge remaining.

image.jpg

I experienced this today while on the Hume Highway (close to the Barton Highway turn-off). I assume it's part of range assurance. I didn't follow the instructions (continued on at the speed limit) and made it to my destination with ample charge remaining.

View attachment 76928

The "drive slowly" warnings were introduced with 6.1 version software with the trip prediction graph. I have seen that and the red warning a few weeks back when I got down to 3% remaining.....(I knew the route home that I was following and wasn't likley to hit traffic so wasn't too bothered).

Maybe the front camera couldn't tell there was glass. I remember running full force into a glass sliding door when I was a kid…

Perhaps, but I thought the auto brake feature was radar based. And then of course there is the sonar shield. Both of them could detect glass. It is only the camera that may have difficulty detecting a cloaked ship.

Last edited:
In fact, when in cruise control on an open road, I have noticed that if I suddenly come upon traffic lights with a stopped vehicle, the car does not seem to recognise it and land up jamming on anchors. Not good. The collision mitigation feature, I think only works if already in cruise control and detecting other cars, but I could be wrong.
While a lot of us are using cruise in the city, it really is only meant from on ramp to off ramp.

In fact, when in cruise control on an open road, I have noticed that if I suddenly come upon traffic lights with a stopped vehicle, the car does not seem to recognise it and land up jamming on anchors. Not good. The collision mitigation feature, I think only works if already in cruise control and detecting other cars, but I could be wrong.
While a lot of us are using cruise in the city, it really is only meant from on ramp to off ramp.

Yes Dborn, I have had the same observation in my BMW i3. I am guessing sometimes the radar is not receiving back a strong enough signal at that moment. Maybe the gradiant of the road is different to the car and the return beam is missing its mark. So you do always have to pay attention of course. But I have also noticed that in close proximity city driving the auto brake does kick in and one time it deliberately stopped me from buzzing a slow coach that pulled in front of me... I am guessing Tesla works on the same principle. Just can't understand how someone parking could accidentally end up through a shop front. So I reckon it is not idiot proof and there are a tremendous amount of them out there... Even behind the wheel of a Tesla.... The inference being that if the driver was stupid enough to do that, then the stupidity extends to overriding any auto brake feature that was in play anyway...

Regrettably, my late father, who was living in America at the time, did something similar but not nearly as severe. His foot slipped or something. That particular issue is relatively common in Florida..... He stopped driving permanently soon after.

Me too actually. My dad had just come back from the doctor's with a new but restricted authorisation to drive his car limited to a few kms radius from his house. The first thing he did was to back the car into our concrete wall. He stopped driving after that. Dad's car didn't have any tech features but I am not sure they would have made a difference. I guess the moral of the story is that the tech features perhaps euphemistically called autopilot, are really just driving aids at best... Not automotatic drivers....