TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

6.2 Prediction & Speeds

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by sandpiper, Apr 7, 2015.

1. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

So, I had my first chance to take a trip with 6.2 yesterday. It started with a 298 km leg in approximately 0 degrees C, but otherwise a nice clear day. I found the range prediction to be inaccurate, and I'm curious what assumptions it's making in it's calculations.

In my case, it predicted that I'd arrive with 27% of the battery left. In reality I ended up with about 16%. I drove about 5 km over the limit with HVAC off. I was certainly one of the slowest vehicles on the road and so spent the entire time locked on cruise.

On thing that confused me is that it was predicting a trip time of about 3:50. That's ridiculous for a 300 km trip, where the limits are 65% at 100 km/h and the balance at 90km/hr.

Is there anywhere where the software will tell you what assumptions it's making for speed and so-on, similar to what EV Tripper Planner provides? Without that, the predictions are a bit meaningless. It would also be nice to be able to dial in a speed factor.

As it is, I found this new "range anxiety eliminator" to be close to useless. I still needed to watch my estimated range and set my speed as required to make sure that I arrived with a comfortable buffer.

My two cents.

2. commasign

commasign Active Member

I have the same questions. My assumption was if the car is stationary when you set a destination, the prediction would be based on speed limit, while if the car was already moving, the prediction would be based on current energy usage. I don't think either is the case. Driving from Harris Ranch SC home, the predicted end SOC kept dropping about 1% every 5 minutes or so despite keeping the car at a steady 70mph (the speed limit). I wonder if the speed offset in the speed assist page factors into the calculation. I.e. if you set speed offset to +10mph, will the predictions assume you drive at speed limit +10mph? Haven't had a chance to test this though. I agree that it would be great if the software would allow you to adjust parameters such as anticipated speed, HVAC usage, desired buffer, etc.,