TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

6-2 UF-B to 14-50

Discussion in 'Technical' started by acentre, Jun 2, 2016.

1. acentre

acentre Member

I currently have 6-2 UF-B wire to power a siemens versicharge ev charger. Can I use a 14-50 plug to replace the charger and use the mobile connector, using the existing wire?
    thanks

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Not legally, because it has only two conductors and a ground, you need three. You could use that cable for for a 6-50 if you can find an out of production adapter for the Tesla UMC.

3. acentre

acentre Member

Could I use a wall adapter with the 6-2 UF-B? Does the mobile connector use a neutral wire?

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

The 6-50p does not use a neutral wire. If you put a 14-50p to be a proper installation you need to wire the neutral also, otherwise someone could plug something else into your plug and cause problems or damage to what is plugged in. The mobile connector does not use the neutral.

5. acentre

acentre Member

thank you
    I will purchase a new wall unit, which is direct wired and does not use a neutral wire.