Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-20 Mobile Connector No lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I've installed a 240v circuit in my garage, and I have power to both cables at the receptacle. However, when I plug in the mobile connector, there are no lights, yet when it's plugged into a 5-15 receptacle, I do have lights.

I'm wondering if I have made some simple mistake in the install?

I can't test the charge with the MY as it's currently in the shop having a heater sensor fitted (we only had it two days!).

Thanks in advance.

Ensure breakers are on. There should be two breakers, one for each hot line to the socket. 6-20 does not have a neutral connection.

Double-check that you have 120 Volts from each of the horizontal sockets to ground (round socket).

Apologies if I seem to be treating you like an amateur. Just don’t know your skill level.

The one time I encountered a 6-20 receptacle - while stopping over at a distant friend’s house - I didn’t have the correct adapter. Like getting into the keg party and discovering it’s “bring your own cup night!”

If you have ~240 volts between the blades, it should work. Check that voltage. (It should have a double (2 pole) breaker, or a pair of single breakers with a bar between them to ensure they turn on and off together.)

Ensure breakers are on. There should be two breakers, one for each hot line to the socket. 6-20 does not have a neutral connection.

Double-check that you have 120 Volts from each of the horizontal sockets to ground (round socket).

Apologies if I seem to be treating you like an amateur. Just don’t know your skill level.

The one time I encountered a 6-20 receptacle - while stopping over at a distant friend’s house - I didn’t have the correct adapter. Like getting into the keg party and discovering it’s “bring your own cup night!”

No apologies needed, and thanks for the response. I've just checked with a multimeter and it's 120v to each side. The breaker is a double pole 20 amp.

I am very much an amateur, but thought this would be in my skill capacity! With power to the receptacle, I don't understand how there are no lights siding but there are when it's plugged into a regular socket.

I'm even wondering if it doesn't show lights until it's plugged into the car (but can't check until January 10th unfortunately).

If you have ~240 volts between the blades, it should work. Check that voltage. (It should have a double (2 pole) breaker, or a pair of single breakers with a bar between them to ensure they turn on and off together.)

Thanks for the response. Double pole breakers installed, with just one receptacle on the circuit. 120v siding each side with the multimeter.

Thanks for the responses everyone! So I checked with the multimeter and I was reading zero volts between the hot wires. I then checked my double pole breaker and it was indeed sitting on just one phase. 30 seconds later the breaker was moved and now pushing out 240v!

The mobile charger now lights up :)

Now I just wait for the return of my Y...

Thanks again for your help

Reactions: ratsbew