Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6/3 NM-B on conduit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are ”potentially“ wet but it does not matter as they are specifically called out in the code.

No they are not wet locations. They are dry locations and it is perfectly acceptable to fun NM cable in conduit on those areas.

The GFCI requirement has nothing to do with them being wet locations, but rather shock hazard due grounding paths other than the grounded conductor.

No they are not wet locations. They are dry locations and it is perfectly acceptable to fun NM cable in conduit on those areas.

The GFCI requirement has nothing to do with them being wet locations, but rather shock hazard due grounding paths other than the grounded conductor.
Sorry, I failed to answer your properly, darn iPhone. OK, my response was off but the issue is that you mis-read the rule. It lists a number of specific locations, and then at the end of the paragraph it includes additional locations with a global addition of “Indoor Damp and Wet Locations.”

Here is the paragraph for easy reference, I added the “as well as” below for clarity.

Bathrooms, Garages and Accessory Buildings, Outdoors, Crawl Spaces, Basements, Kitchens, Sinks, Boathouses, Bathtubs and Shower Stalls, Laundry Areas, (as well as) Indoor Damp and Wet Locations.

Sorry, I failed to answer your properly, darn iPhone. OK, my response was off but the issue is that you mis-read the rule. It lists a number of specific locations, and then at the end of the paragraph it includes additional locations with a global addition of “Indoor Damp and Wet Locations.”

Here is the paragraph for easy reference, I added the “as well as” below for clarity.

Bathrooms, Garages and Accessory Buildings, Outdoors, Crawl Spaces, Basements, Kitchens, Sinks, Boathouses, Bathtubs and Shower Stalls, Laundry Areas, (as well as) Indoor Damp and Wet Locations.

Bathrooms, kitchens, and garages are dry locations. Indoor damp locations would be a sauna, indoor pool, or shower.

You seem knowledgeable. What does this mean? If I have 6/2 NM-B Romex cable, can I safely run it in 1" ID PVC? 0.75" ID PVC?

but
“While the National Electrical Code does not expressly forbid inserting NM cable inside conduit, it is, in practice, very difficult to do so and very few professional electricians will do such an installation.”

Last edited:

but
“While the National Electrical Code does not expressly forbid inserting NM cable inside conduit, it is, in practice, very difficult to do so and very few professional electricians will do such an installation a.”
I wouldn’t do it for distances >10ft but it’s fine to stub down to a panel or the outlet

And note you can’t install nm cable in conduit at all if the conduit is outside.