TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

6.4 kWh now?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Fallenone, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

I just found that on TE's official website it's not 6.4 kWh, not 7 kWh. Anyone know anything going on?

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

I don't KNOW. But I recall they reserve about 5% on the car battery to keep it from bricking. May be similar.

3. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

Yeh I suppose TE also has this too. Maybe the thread for the S85 != 85kWh made them more cautious about labeling the battery size?

4. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I applaud this move. Tesla is trying to (at least a little) clean up their spec quotes to what is reality. Either that, or this is the version 2 that is different.

5. Aussie

Aussie Member

The reason is a different one. The Panasonic cell isn't made for high cycle life. Doing 500 cycles in a car at 300 miles range each gives you 150,000 miles, a respectable performance for a car. However in home storage, you are charging and discharging once a day so the battery would be gone after 1.5 years. So get to the 3000 cycles required for storage, Tesla is doing a few things: limiting charge and discharge to lower C rates as much as possible, not leaving the unit at very high or low charges, controlling temperature and keeping extra capacity so the initial degradation isn't so visible (and to not having to fully charge).

6. strood

strood Member

The Australian first Powerwall owner said his was rated to 5,000 cycles. That's certainly impressive if true

7. Robertj

Robertj Member

Tesla Powerwall lands in NZ

tesla-v3.jpg

TESLA ENERGY POWERWALLHAS LANDED

vector-trans3.png

Thank you for getting in touch with us about the Tesla Energy Powerwall.

We've had some exciting developments here at Vector, so we wanted to update you on them.

We’ve received our first shipment of Tesla Energy Powerwall batteries – among the first to ship globally. Our job now is to fine tune our system to work perfectly with the Powerwall unit, and make sure everything complies with our own safety and efficiency standards, plus of course all the New Zealand regulatory requirements.

As New Zealand’s only Tesla Energy Powerwall distributor and installer, we’re keen to get as many of these awesome units powering homes, businesses and schools as soon as possible.

In the meantime, we'd love to know a little more about you to help us deliver exactly the solution you need. So if you have three minutes, we'd appreciate you taking our survey - and to thank you for your time, you go into a draw to win a Tesla branded Tech Vest.

Have a look here if you have any questions right now, otherwise we’ll be in touch when we have further news to share.

Regards,
    The Vector Team

0800 70 70 30
    www.vectorsolar.co.nz

Vector_Logo.png

Unsubscribe from this list

shadow.jpg

open.php?u=1b1f631fab83d415830d147f4&id=b0bc67e914&e=9126c577fb.gif

8. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

That sounds right, something like ~1.5 cycles/day over the 10 year warranty period.

9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Full article at:
    Tesla confirmed having discontinued the 10 kWh Powerwall for backup power to focus on daily cycling version

I was wondering about that.

10. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

So the 10kwh version of the Powerwall was just vapor ware?

• Love x 1
  11. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

More like the S 40 I'd say. Not enough people wanted so it was discontinued.

12. Ampster

Ampster Member

Yes, and part of the explanation is that the payback of a daily recycler helps justify the cost.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

No, it was real. But the market response to the two Powerwall versions likely caused Tesla to reconsider producing it, for now. Keep in mind that the 7kWh Powerwall can be used as backup if needed. This was confirmed to me by the person at Tesla Energy that I have been dealing with. The 10kW version was backup only.