Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-50 adapter is backwards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I purchased a 6-50 adapter from Tesla’s website. I was excited to be able to finally charge from home instead of going to the superchargers every couple days. Well it turns out that the prongs on their adapter are in the wrong spots. The large prong should be where the small prong is and vice versa. At first I thought the electrician needed to come back and turn the outlet upside down, but after closer inspection I realized what happened. Just emailed Tesla about it. Hopefully I get a quick response. I’ve attached a pic from their website and another of what they actually sent me.

Attachments

• E99418ED-FF08-4953-A2A4-6489615765B8.jpeg
    E99418ED-FF08-4953-A2A4-6489615765B8.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 5858F704-05B6-4DA8-A146-37641724B640.jpeg
    5858F704-05B6-4DA8-A146-37641724B640.jpeg
    508.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
For OP's reference, here's a table of straight-bladed NEMA plugs and sockets:

In the far left column (Configuration), the image on the left is the PLUG, as viewed looking at the blades, and the image on the right is the SOCKET, as viewed looking at the holes. For the plugs, the letters G (ground), W (neutral), X (hot 1), Y (hot 2) and Z (hot 3) refer to the resources which should be connected to those terminals.

What can be confusing with this table is that the normal socket orientation used in homes for 120V power is the ground (round) pin down. It's shown in the table as up, which may require some mental gymnastics to figure out which blade is which.

• Informative
Reactions: GWord and Rocky_H
Sounds like the OP is trying to pull a fast one on us, since this adapter isn't sold by Tesla.
I don't think that's what's happening here (i.e., pulling a fast one). The OP posted in another thread about getting a 6-50 NEMA adapter but ran into some problems with the Tesla Shop. Recommended getting the adapter from EVSEadapters.com if time was of the essence and that's where I believe the adapter in this thread came from. That the OP received a 5-50 instead of a 6-50 can be an issue with the wrong adapter being ordered (OP's error) or the wrong one shipped (EVSEadapters.com's error).

ref: 6-50 adapter

I don't think that's what's happening here (i.e., pulling a fast one).

Yeah, I think the error is that when they said this (per your link):

1645404951074.png

They referred to that in the original post above as "Tesla's website", when that's actually a non-Tesla, aftermarket product site.

Not only is it the wrong adapter, but it looks used - it's dirty and the one prong appear to be bent.

That plug you're showing in the image is a NEMA 5-50 plug (125v 50A nominal). Tesla doesn't manufacture that and it is only available aftermarket.
Correct. I was mistaken. I attempted to purchase it multiple times from Tesla’s site but my cc kept getting declined. Must’ve been in their end. I actually did buy from a third party. For some reason attempting to buy from Tesla got stuck in my head.

Reactions: Resist and GWord
Thank you for clearing that up.
No biggie :cool:

FWIW, EVSEadapters.com has pretty stellar reviews, heck, I've recommended them myself, hopefully this is just an outlier, and you'll have to update this thread with how their customer service responds.
Here’s a customer service update. I’ve emailed them once and called them once and left a voicemail during the past week. So far no reply.

We never saw an answer to this question that was asked about this:
1. Did you mix up the plug type and accidentally order a 5-50? And they sent what you ordered?
or
2. Did you actually order a 6-50? And then they mixed it up and sent you a 5-50 by mistake?

It's important which of these it was and determines if this is a customer service issue at all.

Reactions: Gokada