Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-50 vs 14-50 upgrade installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the added cost is about $195-275, mostly dependent on the cost of the 14-50 outlet and GFIC breaker. So what do we get for the extra money?

1. Charge at 40A instead of 32A on a 50A circuit. Charge at 48A on a 60A circuit
  2. The mobile connetor that came with the car stays in the car so it is not forgotten when needed
  3. The wall connector is waterproof so it can be installed outside
  4. It supports power sharing when multiple wall connectors are installed
  5. It receives firmware updates. Power sharing was added via a firmware update. Also added was the ability to lock the connector to only Tesla cars, or just to one car
Of course not all of these apply to everyone, so it may still not be worth it to many people.
Literally none of those apply the the OP, yet everyone is trying to peddle the wall charger.

The wall charger is $495 vs $45 for the UMC adapter and using the UMC that already came with the car. That’s $450 difference. Breaker cost and wiring cost is a wash since you would need a new breaker for either the wall charger or upgraded outlet.

1. He only wants to install a 40A circuit so it won’t charge any faster than the mobile connector.

2. Would be nice, but depending on usage habits would never need to use it away from home.

3. He’s installing it indoors

4. Not something OP is doing

5. That’s nice but as long as it can charge the car idk if a charging cable can update its own firmware or not.

The 48A charging is the main benefit, but even that is of minimal benefit. Most people only use a fraction of their battery in their daily driving and plug in overnight, so even a 16A EVSE would be more than sufficient to replenish the amount of used battery charge overnight.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and ATPMSD
Literally none of those apply the the OP, yet everyone is trying to peddle the wall charger.

The wall charger is $495 vs $45 for the UMC adapter and using the UMC that already came with the car. That’s $450 difference. Breaker cost and wiring cost is a wash since you would need a new breaker for either the wall charger or upgraded outlet.

1. He only wants to install a 40A circuit so it won’t charge any faster than the mobile connector.

2. Would be nice, but depending on usage habits would never need to use it away from home.

3. He’s installing it indoors

4. Not something OP is doing

5. That’s nice but as long as it can charge the car idk if a charging cable can update its own firmware or not.

The 48A charging is the main benefit, but even that is of minimal benefit. Most people only use a fraction of their battery in their daily driving and plug in overnight, so even a 16A EVSE would be more than sufficient to replenish the amount of used battery charge overnight.
I agree here. I’m mainly after double the charging especially during winter when my range is significantly impacted.

6-50 plug and it will be a selling point if the new owner is a welder.
14-50 is a way bigger selling point in a garage nowadays. You can also install a WC and wire a neutral so that it can easily be removed and converted to a 14-50 or another EVSE by the next owner.

We plan on selling in 3-4 years so honestly we would not need more than what the 6-50 can offer. The next step for us would have to be to upgrade the panel to get more anyway so I am not looking to do that.

Panel upgrade is $4,500 so not really. That’s what I’m sticking to a 40amp.
If you advertise it properly, you could easily get more than your money back for the panel upgrade. It's rather strange but a lot of people don't like doing upgrades for whatever reason, and overbid on houses with upgrades already done. Whether this will still be true in 3-4 years and whether it will still be a sellers' market is anyone's guess though.