Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-50 vs 14-50 upgrade installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
I’m planning on upgrading my 6-20 Nema to get double the charging. I don’t have an RV or anything so the adapter would stay plugged in the mobile connector 24/7. A 6-50 will save me some cost in wire and I really don’t need the neutral for this kind of load. Thoughts?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Do the 14-50, or at least, run the N wire.

If anything in the future you can easily swap to something else. The labor is the hard part. a single wire means you're much more future proof.
We plan on selling in 3-4 years so honestly we would not need more than what the 6-50 can offer. The next step for us would have to be to upgrade the panel to get more anyway so I am not looking to do that.

Get the Wall Connector instead, it is only $200-300 more when you consider the total cost of a 14-50 or 6-50 install. If you want to future proof you can add the Neutral as @SabrToothSqrl suggested.

I suggest you don't penny pinch. You spent a small fortune on the car, don't cheap out when it comes to charging it.

Get the Wall Connector instead, it is only $200-300 more when you consider the total cost of a 14-50 or 6-50 install. If you want to future proof you can add the Neutral as @SabrToothSqrl suggested.

I suggest you don't penny pinch. You spent a small fortune on the car, don't cheap out when it comes to charging it.
Panel upgrade is $4,500 so not really. That’s what I’m sticking to a 40amp.

We plan on selling in 3-4 years

The Wall Connector can be configured for 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 & 60 amp circuits, and you can take it with you! But if you are selling in 3-4 years than run the netural as this will be a selling point for a potenatal buyer with an EV (or a welder) as they can install anything they want.

For me, one of the biggest advantages of the Wall Connector is I am able to keep the Mobile Connector in the car, so it is never forgotten.

The Wall Connector can be configured for 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 & 60 amp circuits, and you can take it with you! But if you are selling in 3-4 years than run the netural as this will be a selling point for a potenatal buyer with an EV (or a welder) as they can install anything they want.

For me, one of the biggest advantages of the Wall Connector is I am able to keep the Mobile Connector in the car, so it is never forgotten.
I agree, but the panel upgrade is way too much for me to even worry about. I’m ok with the 40amp as I normally use free PlugShare chargers nearby as well. Technically the 6-20 is even ok as When I wake up it’s fully charged unless it’s 20% or less.

But if I am leaning towards the 6-50 the wall connector is just overkill. Is there a tax rebate still on it?

IRS From 8911, works for either the 14-50/6-50 or the wall connector. It is a 30% tax credit (up to $1,000 total credit) towards all hardware and labor. Read it to be sure it is still as the same.

There has never been a better time to purchase the Wall Connector. The current price is $55 lower than the old price. I'm not sure if you can use a 40 amp breaker with the 6-50 the way you can with the 14-50 (per the NEC.) The 24 foot charging cord on the latest Wall Connector is what would make me switch from the Mobile Connector so I would not have to back into my garage to plug in to charge. The Wall Connector can be configured for a 40A circuit easy as 1-2-3. When you get ready to move you can remove the Wall Connector in under 30 minutes.

IRS From 8911, works for either the 14-50/6-50 or the wall connector. It is a 30% tax credit (up to $1,000 total credit) towards all hardware and labor. Read it to be sure it is still as the same.

The federal alternate fuel vehicle refueling property tax credit expired at the end of 2021.

Are you sure? This is from the 8911 about page;

"Use the January 2022 revision of Form 8911 for tax years beginning in 2021 or later, until a later revision is issued."
Yes. Congress did not act at the end of 2021 to either renew or extend this tax credit. Form 8911 can still be used for home charging installations that were completed by December 31, 2021.

'm not sure if you can use a 40 amp breaker with the 6-50 the way you can with the 14-50 (per the NEC.)

Pretty sure you can, Using a 50A plug and receptacle is allowed on a 40A circuit because of an exception in the Electrical Code. The exception is because 40A receptacles do not exist, or rather, are not part of the NEMA standard.

Well, to me it would simply depend on cost. If running the neutral was $75-100 more, I’d just do it.

Regarding wall connector vs outlet, be sure to consider cost of the gfci breaker & good outlet. WC doesn’t need a gfci or outlet.

Personally I’ve never used the mobile connector anywhere, so that particular argument doesn’t change my view one way or the other.

I say if you’re running a new wire anyways then just run the neutral as well. The cost difference in wire or labor should be minimal unless it’s a very long or complicated run.

14-50 is also more common than 6-50 so if you get a 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector you could potentially use it in more places in the future.

Idk why everyone is pushing the wall connector when it would be of zero extra benefit with much added cost vs just buying a new adapter for the UMC. Especially if there’s no rebate. And it would be much harder to take with you vs just literally unplugging from the outlet when you move.

Reactions: 1plavs
Idk why everyone is pushing the wall connector when it would be of zero extra benefit with much added cost

So the added cost is about $195-275, mostly dependent on the cost of the 14-50 outlet and GFIC breaker. So what do we get for the extra money?

1. Charge at 40A instead of 32A on a 50A circuit. Charge at 48A on a 60A circuit
  2. The mobile connetor that came with the car stays in the car so it is not forgotten when needed
  3. The wall connector is waterproof so it can be installed outside
  4. It supports power sharing when multiple wall connectors are installed
  5. It receives firmware updates. Power sharing was added via a firmware update. Also added was the ability to lock the connector to only Tesla cars, or just to one car
Of course not all of these apply to everyone, so it may still not be worth it to many people.

Reactions: brkaus
So the added cost is about $195-275, mostly dependent on the cost of the 14-50 outlet and GFIC breaker. So what do we get for the extra money?

1. Charge at 40A instead of 32A on a 50A circuit. Charge at 48A on a 60A circuit
  2. The mobile connetor that came with the car stays in the car so it is not forgotten when needed
  3. The wall connector is waterproof so it can be installed outside
  4. It supports power sharing when multiple wall connectors are installed
  5. It receives firmware updates. Power sharing was added via a firmware update. Also added was the ability to lock the connector to only Tesla cars, or just to one car
Of course not all of these apply to everyone, so it may still not be worth it to many people.
Don't leave out the 24 foot charging cord. That is almost 6 feet longer than the charging cord on the Mobile Connector.

Reactions: ATPMSD