TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

6 days after confirm and no VIN?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Buddy, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Buddy

Buddy Member

my model S was confirmed on 10July and I have not received a VIN# as of today, 16July. I have spoken with Tesla headquarters and my DS, both saying this is common/normal. They assured me I am on schedule for a July-August delivery.

I can't help but ask this forum because I keep seeing people confirm their orders and get a VIN assigned the same day or following day.

Any experience you have with this would be appreciated.

• Dislike x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. buchacha

buchacha New Member

@Buddy, I'm in the same boat, my model S was confirmed July 11th, with no Vin#, however, my delivery timeframe shows late Sept - early October. Can't believe it's up to three months wait time in Texas.

3. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Based on the Model S tracking spreadsheet I would say this is highly abnormal. VINs get issued pretty much the day the order confirms unless the customer requested a specific delivery date.

4. Buddy

Buddy Member

Received a VIN today, 7 days after confirm date.

I hope this isn't indication of how backed up Tesla is. I'm expecting a late August-September delivery.

5. cplaw

cplaw Member

Confirmed 7/11 and got VIN assigned today, so you will probably get it shortly.

6. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

I guess it varies based on production schedule and so on. Once they've identified a production slot for your car, am guessing this is where the VIN gets assigned.

7. Mknac

Mknac Member

Confirmed on July 15th and haven't heard anything more. When I ordered the week before the website said September delivery.

8. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Tesla could be getting ready to make a batch of RHD cars so LHD cars have been pushed out a week. This is only speculation though....

9. OneSmallStep

OneSmallStep Member

Have a quick semi-related question: I ordered on 6/29, confirmed on 7/6, VIN assigned on 7/8 after contacting DS. My order was initially put in system incorrectly as an October (deferred) delivery by OA, so after confirmation I contacted DS and told him i instead wanted first available delivery. He told me I am in system for late August delivery, but "My Tesla" page has always said this under my VIN: "We are processing your order and will provide an estimated delivery date." I know the DS tends to be more reliable than the MyTesla page but is this common? Under the "What's Next" heading it shows "We are processing your order and will provide an estimated delivery date..." and under Pickup it shows Delivery as First Available (it initially said October), so i think things are headed in the right direction. But i'm just curious for those that ordered and confirmed as an earliest delivery date if their MyTesla page says something else or has a delivery window even before it has entered production. I'm hoping that production starts soon based on the order tracker and all will be updated accordingly, but as i'm sure everyone knows it's a little nerve-wracking at this point. Thanks.

10. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Surprised. I received the VIN# same day it was confirmed 7/1. Page shows late Aug/early Sept. as well. But DS believes it will be mid August. We'll see................

11. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

I did NOT confirm, and tried to cancel multiple times. It seems to have auto-confirmed, and I immediately got a VIN.
    Strange - you guys who want a VIN can't get one, and I get one and can't proceed.

Was there a button somewhere that I missed that said "confirm" or "not confirm".
    How do I unwind this?

12. Buddy

Buddy Member

The only option I know of currently is that it will automatically confirm 7 days after you order. I wanted to confirm early but was told I couldn't.

13. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Tesla is the one that confirms the order, not you. Did you call the Tesla 800 number at talk to anyone?

14. Sugacookie

Sugacookie Member

It Took one day to receive my Vin after the order was confirmed.

15. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I thought I was done after 2 changes. One day before confirmation I made another change. I am usually not so wooly at making decisions but i'm glad Tesla has that 7 day window :)