Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 hours and counting for door handle ranger repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
replace all 4 of my 1st gen door handles with the new 2nd gen version
Point of clarification:
Did they actually say "2nd gen"?

Last time I discussed the handles with a service center (when mine were replaced after Teslive), I heard something to the effect that (back then) they were already on version 5 of the door handles.

Point of clarification:
Did they actually say "2nd gen"?

Last time I discussed the handles with a service center (when mine were replaced after Teslive), I heard something to the effect that (back then) they were already on version 5 of the door handles.
No, he used the term "newer design"--I adopted 2nd gen from other discussions.

A kid lying down sleeping, and therefore unrestrained by a safety belt, is also a safety concern. If you’re involved in an accident and your kid is lying on the backseat sleeping and therefore unrestrained, that kid risks all kinds of injuries including death.
He never said anything about a kid lying down unrestrained on the back seat. In the scenario presented, the kid was sleeping up against the door, which apparently could pop open at any moment. Even with the child restrained, this would rightly cause any parent to panic. Children are usually put in the passenger side rear seat, so the driver is put in a position where they feel their child is in danger and there's no real way to get that door closed from the driver's seat. Like it or not, doors popping open while in motion is a major safety issue.

Hell, I would panic if I was sleeping in a moving car and suddenly my door popped open and I'm a full-grown adult. Even awake and fully alert would trigger something along the lines of "Oh s#@$!"

I think Plug Me In is right... When the doors are "locked", they shouldn't respond to the exterior handles (faulty or not) so this situation would not happen at anything but extreme low-speed.

dfitz206... Something is weird about your car.... I know first hand that the switch definitely happened somewhere between the mid 5,000's and the mid 8,000's...

All low speed incidents. Auto lock at (?) 10 mph I bet would prevent the doors from opening due to a door handle fault.

Since the door latches are electric solenoids activated by an electrical switch in the handle, my guess is that door "locks" are just software. I don't think there's any kind of mechanical decoupling of the handle and the latch. If so, "locking" the doors would likely have no effect on this issue.

Since the door latches are electric solenoids activated by an electrical switch in the handle, my guess is that door "locks" are just software. I don't think there's any kind of mechanical decoupling of the handle and the latch. If so, "locking" the doors would likely have no effect on this issue.

Perhaps the software is set to ignore door handle inputs while in the "locked" state?

He never said anything about a kid lying down unrestrained on the back seat. In the scenario presented, the kid was sleeping up against the door, which apparently could pop open at any moment. Even with the child restrained, this would rightly cause any parent to panic. Children are usually put in the passenger side rear seat, so the driver is put in a position where they feel their child is in danger and there's no real way to get that door closed from the driver's seat. Like it or not, doors popping open while in motion is a major safety issue. /…
You’re right. I misread and/or misunderstood. Thanks for pointing that out. Have amended the referred post.

- - - Updated - - -

If you mean the new handles that have a little "give" before engaging, that VIN is too low. I'm 10007 and have the original style...
I don’t really know. I just forwarded the info from that post in the other thread…

Alright, this post is the final straw. How is this not a major safety issue that warrants immediate recall and repair of all affected VINs as a preventative measure? You know, like every other manufacturer does?

The door handles aren't one off issues. Neither are 21 inch tires wearing down and blowing out < 10k miles. Neither are the child jump seats with handles that kids can pull and eject themselves out.

But maybe I'm going off a little half-cocked w/ my frustration. You said the doors opened while in motion? Can you describe what actually happened, maybe make me feel a little better. Having a day-nightmare about door opening while a kid is laying on it sleeping and they fall out of the car. That's what being a parent will do to you.
What action are you taking since this is the "last straw"? Should we be watching the news reports?

What action are you taking since this is the "last straw"? Should we be watching the news reports?

The last straw is where me giving them the benefit of the doubt finally meets the point of realizing that they are too focused on profits and their stock to take the important (but embarrassing) steps of communicating important safety issues to affected customers. If they have to recall, so be it. They did that minor one which didn't seem like a big deal and was more of an exercise in benevolent PR, but it's okay for customers to run around with door handles that can apparently open on their own? C'mon.

They have to be aware of the issue from their service center narratives. Wake up, Tesla.

The last straw is where me giving them the benefit of the doubt finally meets the point of realizing that they are too focused on profits and their stock to take the important (but embarrassing) steps of communicating important safety issues to affected customers. If they have to recall, so be it. They did that minor one which didn't seem like a big deal and was more of an exercise in benevolent PR, but it's okay for customers to run around with door handles that can apparently open on their own? C'mon.

They have to be aware of the issue from their service center narratives. Wake up, Tesla.

We should have a contest to see who can make a post with the most assumptions. :rolleyes:

Yes, we're way off topic but the original conversation has pretty much run it's course. Now I don't feel guilty about the following:

Doors spontaneously opening is a safety issue. Whether at 5 mph or 50 mph. It's also a serious black eye for Tesla if there's a report about a child cracking his head on the pavement after falling out of the car because he's not buckled up correctly and leaning against the door. We've heard several reports about this but don't know the specific reason why (or at least I haven't read a reason). It's expensive to replace all of those original handles but it's cheaper than the alternative (not just a potential lawsuit but the negative publicity) if that's what's causing the problem. Is it recall worthy? I think so. It's appears to be a bigger issue than the faulty ignition recall I received on our old Audi.

I don't have all the information that Tesla has, nor am I in the auto industry, so I don't know all the thresholds and implications. Therefore my opinion is not as informed as it might be. However, as a consumer, and owner, if I heard that several doors had spontaneously opened I would expect a proactive fix. Full disclosure: I am VIN 83xx so have the new handles.