Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 hours old and two major issues: brake lights, headlights and car won’t turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
was ok for a couple hours. Walk away worked after putting into park. Then I noticed the auto headlights would turn on in bright daylight. Then when parking and trying to do a walk away, the car wouldn’t lock. Take lights and headlights stay on. Can’t even open the charge door from the app, screen, button on charging plug button. Called service and had to leave a voice message. Sad start to Tesla ownership!

I did try the reboot (with foot on pedal) and no luck. Did not call roadside as I wasn’t stranded but effectively the car is not drivable as it can’t be turned off (locking works from the app and card key). Also tried unpairing my phone as a key but no dice.

Also noticed that the on screen car icon brake lights stay on when accelerating. They don’t stay on all the time but they aren’t super responsive like the turn signal indicators on the car icon. I know there is regen that triggers the brake lights but didn’t expect it to happen when lightly accelerating.

I don’t understand. How is it not locking when you say you can lock it? Is auto lock on walk away even selected?

Did you turn auto lights off?

Yes, tried to turn the auto lights off and no luck.

The car will lock with the card key tap to the b pillar. I can lock the car from inside and with the app. Walk away doesn’t work anymore. Also, for all of the above scenarios, the headlights and tail lights will stay on when in P.

So to clarify, even if turn off the headlights from the screen, close the door, and lock the car with the card, the taillights stay on. So doors lock but mirrors don’t close and charging door won’t open.

Maybe something with the brake switch?

it almost sounds like your car thinks you're in constant proximity to the car. Maybe disconnect phone key and then set it up again.

-edit-
disconnect phone key = removing your phone from the car system from being a key. I think it's in the Locks menu.

Still waiting 4 hours later after leaving a msg. Will try the shut down. I don’t think it’s a proximity issue because when I had my phone setup as a key, it would show disconnected when far enough but the car was still not locked.