TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

6 lidars?

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by ZeApelido, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Member

Found this lovely vehicle on the Peninsula. Obviously a startup, I got out and tried to ask them more, but they were secretive (claiming stealth mode) and would only verify lidar (duh). I'm assuming varying orientation x 6 is to improve SNR of mapping for testing. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. Tam

Tam Active Member

Could it be that they can't afford one expensive Google-Style LIDAR so they get 6 cheaper ones instead?

3. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Reminds me of this badboy

[​IMG]

4. Troy

Troy Active Member

To me, it looks like with that many lidars, they could calculate the speed of other cars around them in all directions. That might be what they are trying to achieve here.

5. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Could be the startling start of some smart taxi-service startup. They might be starting up by HD-mapping the start of the neighborhood, you know, for starters

6. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

One reason for this may also be preparing for minituriaziation of LIDARs, I doubt the massive roof modules will persist in the long run - perhaps something more akin to Faraday Future prototype with smaller extending LIDARs or Audi "Elaine" prototype with multiple integrated (low front diffuser) LIDARs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

They could just be testing lidars from different vendors at the same time although the placement is a bit weird.

8. ZeApelido

ZeApelido Member

Seemed to all be velodyne

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

That's the direction I'm leaning - I can't imagine that they need 6 LIDAR turrets to guide the car, and they all look to be identical units, so the comparison option seems out - but by running a bunch of them in parallel, they can make a more complete HD map more quickly.

I wouldn't have guessed that any application needed that many, but the evidence suggests that someone thinks it's helpful to them...