TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

6 month evaluation

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Hitman007, Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

So this marks a little over 6 months of owning our X. We have a 6 seat 90D with every option except Premium Stereo and dual chargers. Overall I am very happy and we only have had one visit to service to remove a broken trim clip that was rattling around inside the driver door. The X performs very well and other than the occasional gremlin doing things like opening a falcon wing door for no reason, the software is 99% bug free. The only thing on my "bugs me" list is my streaming audio seems to cut out for no reason even when I have a good LTE signal. It will last anywhere from 2-10 seconds. Also if I am listing to a song and park the car, when I return it starts the song over from the beginning. Before the software upgrade it would remember where the song was and start from that point. This just started happening after the last software upgrade. Other than that the only engineering issues are lack of folding seats in my model, lack of storage and lots of road noise similar to a Honda of Nissan. My particular unit has good build quality and a nice fit and finish. Mine was a August 2016 delivery.

• Like x 3
  2. gnguyen

gnguyen Member

Can you elaborate on the lack of storage? I have a family of four and we're planning on doing frequent road trips. We currently have a 2012 Prius V wagon that gets pretty loaded up with stuff for travel.

Our 6 seater X75D order should be coming in late March/early April. I'm hoping it's at least on par if not better than the Prius V, in terms of both storage and road noise. I'd be pretty disappointed if the X were not better.

3. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I have a 90D 7 seater but we are also a family of four and do long (>400miles) road trips often. Fold flat the rear seat which I assume is same in your car as mine and you get plenty of storage (I have stored five large international travel type of suitcases in that space which obviously you don't need that much stuff for a road trip) Drinks and food typically go in frunk. And with no middle seat I think you got more space for the second row folks to put their stuff.

4. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

@Hitman007 - it's great to hear from people who have perfectly fine built cars as normally people like you and me don't report anything here. Glad you are also enjoying your X.

• Like x 1
  5. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

Yes. By lack of storage I am talking about the center console and glove box. Compared to other SUV type vehicles there is not much for small item storage in the X. The under dash console storage area is very small and if you use the two cupholder inserts there is not room for anything else. And where most SUV's have a large center storage bin that doubles as an arm rest, not the X. The center unit is just an armrest with the two shallow cupholders. And the glove box is small. When we cleaned out just the glove box and center storage unit of our Honda Pilot I had a medium size box full of stuff. I was only able to get about 25% of that stuff into the Tesla if that helps you visualize the storage area.

6. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I'm on 7 months of ownership and very happy with the car so far. Been to service once for some minor fit and finish issues everything else is great.

7. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I agree in terms of console/glove box spaces, it does fall short. I am driving a Yukon as a rental while my X is in service and its console is huuuuge..like you can fit in a small cooler. But I will be so happy when my X is back. The Yukon was not happy making a very wide U turn in my cul-de-sac :eek:

8. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

And that big fat Yukon will not go 0-60 like the X when merging in traffic....

9. stefan.bc

stefan.bc I see dead headlights!

Hi,

Some questions:

Do you have the ghosting issue or maybe it doesn't botther you?
    Did the FWD scratched the paint before the SC visit?
    Did you noticed paint cracks on the lower frame of the FWD? Image attached
    Did the leather on your seats looked wrinkled and ugly?

Attached Files:

10. Yinn

Yinn Member

Coming from a Toyota Sienna, I believe I had the kind of excess storage and cup holders...so many cup holders.

We found the lack of a storage in the armrest annoying at first, but we have adjusted. The center console can hold a small box of tissues and still be configured for two cups. We put our lotion in the cubby and use the glovebox for misc.

What we've come to realize is that we had more space in the minivan, but it was mostly filled up with stuff we didn't really use. For the stuff we did use, we just needed to buy smaller sizes.