Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 month old Tesla model 3 losses 7 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your warranty is 8 years or 120,000 miles for 70% retention. Meaning, it has to be less than 217 miles left. Meaning you have to lose 93 miles. If your battery is truly degrading that fast, you might qualify for a replacement in year 7 or 8. Mine has degraded 4-6 miles in 1 year 14,000 miles. I'm not actually sure my battery degradation is actually that steep, but at this rate - I'll never qualify. Hopefully in 6 years I can trade in for a much better Tesla. I may be wrong, but I think most battery replacements are for sudden drops or complete failures. These are rare - but aren't related to gradual degradation.

Watching the battery degrade is like slapping yourself in the face. It is annoying - but really pointless. Drive your car and have fun!.

Like some of you, I'm also charging my LR AWD (310 claimed max miles) up to 90% every night. Because I haven't charged it to 100% yet, I don't know what the estimated miles would show. I have couple of questions.

1. Is it really necessary to charge up to 100% and drain to 10%, then repeat 3 times? Or is it only necessary for calibrating? If yes, when do you normally need calibrating?
2. Is it completely OK to charge every night? I only charge at home up to 90% every night from 12:00am, and I usually drive around 60-70 miles per day. I just want to know what is the best practice to preserve the battery health.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
1. No. The displayed range is an estimate, as state of charge can’t be measured directly, and the estimate may be off by a few miles depending on a car’s recent charging pattern. (Usually it’s worse for people who think they’re saving the battery by only charging to 60 or 70%, and that’s not you) But so what? If you drive 60-70 miles/ day and charge every night, why does it matter if, for example, your displayed range of 289 miles at 90% is really 295 or 285? It has no bearing in the use of your car. When you take a long trip you’re going to supercharge where the superchargers are and it doesn’t matter if your car has a few miles more or less of range than what’s shown.

2. That’s perfect. It’s what I’ve done since 2013 starting with my Model S. Tesla recommends plugging in when you can. Multiple smaller charges are better than waiting until you “need” a charge. It just becomes a habit- pull into garage and plug in.

Let the battery management system manage the battery and just enjoy your car.

I am 1400 miles in and have only charged to full once and that was in my first week and it only went to 305 and said it was full. I took that as, things will vary once and a while.

I think I will do another full charge here soon and see what it says again

Strange, I Charged to 100% on like day 5 of owning and only got 305

I charged to 100% for the first time after about 10,000 miles and it got to 302. Now, at 36,000 miles, it varies between 298 and 302. I rarely charge it to 100% - maybe five times over the life of the car. The Stats app is nice for checking on it periodically. I keep the car display on % instead of miles.

The night I read this post, I decided to see what my 100% SoC reading would be. It was 302. That was lower than the last time I charged to 100% back in February 2019. Back then I was getting 308. And the very first time I ever charged to 100% was March 2018, and it was 308. So it seemed like I had "lost 6 miles since 5 months ago.

But last night, I set my charge limit to 100% again, and this morning, it read 308.

So.... In my case, I've owned the car for 16 months, put 18k miles on it, and my max SoC reading is exactly the same. No apparent loss. And I'm one of those people who charge to 60% in the summer and 80% in the winter.

What I never did was test this when the firmware that supposedly bumped LR RWD to 325 happened. I never noticed any difference in my set point SoC, so I figured the max would still be the same, and I have one of the unlucky cars that didn't get the increase in range.

I would be curious to know if people who DID notice an increase in range still have it.

My 'full' reading has been decreasing over time. The first time it was 307 or 308, within the first month of owning it. The last couple times it maxed out at 292-293. The car has 24,000 miles on it. I did try the most-repeated method of getting it to recalibrate - discharging to 10%, letting the car sleep, and then charging up to 100, twice in a row. Instead of gaining miles back through recalibration, this actually made the estimate drop by 6 or 7 miles.

Wondering whether there’s a meaningful difference between indicated range in dual motor and rear motor cars.

Both of our cars indicated about 308 (100% road trip charge) when new. Of course, the dual motor car is slightly less efficient and burns through its indicated miles slightly more quickly.

My wife’s RWD still charges to 277 @90%, even after 20 months and 20,000 miles.

My P3D- dropped to the low/mid 260s after only 2 months and 3,000 miles and has remained there ever since.

Our charging and usage patterns are similar, and we’ve cycled both cars from 100% down below 20% on road trips.

Just wonder whether there’s a similar pattern in everyone else’s data ...

17K miles on my LR RWD Model 3 and the last full charge I put on it said I had 324 miles. I do a full charge about once every other month. My full charges are on my NEMA 6-20 plug in my garage which gives me 15 miles every hour. My standard charges are to 70% to 80%. Three or four times a week I get an opportunity charge at work on a standard 110 plug which covers my commute for the day.

So overall, losing one mile (at best) in one year of ownership seems very reasonable.

Reactions: nvx1977
Mine was 307 when I first got it. Then they did an update that pushed it up to 316, but the last time I went on a trip it only charged to 299. I'm closing in on 30,000 miles. The last trip was at 25,000 miles. I can't really say it dropped over 5% from new, because it didn't charge to 316 new, but it definitely dropped 5.7% since the last time I took a trip. October 2018, 316 miles / July 2019, 299 miles.

17K miles on my LR RWD Model 3 and the last full charge I put on it said I had 324 miles. I do a full charge about once every other month. My full charges are on my NEMA 6-20 plug in my garage which gives me 15 miles every hour. My standard charges are to 70% to 80%. Three or four times a week I get an opportunity charge at work on a standard 110 plug which covers my commute for the day.

So overall, losing one mile (at best) in one year of ownership seems very reasonable.
We have the same car. How in the world are you getting 324?

Reactions: Grendal