Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 months in... Charging already going south

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, what is highway speed for you? That's a big difference. Do you have smooth speed control? That makes a difference even at the same speed. Both of these factors are identical in an ICE also.
We'll I started off at 65-73, with CC on. Then I was getting warnings that I needed to lower my speed to <60 then <55, then <50 then <45 to make it. I lowered my speed some -- which wasn't safe as everyone else around my was not & yet my range kept slowing lowering, percent by percent. I was trying to keep the energy needle as neutral to as possible when CC wasn't on.

Worst case scenario for me has been charging at Supercharger at <10% SoC, in 27ºF, unpaired, but after a 35-40 minute drive. This leaves the 70D battery warmed at initial charge time. Peak charge rates was 72 kW tapering to 60 when I reached 50% SoC.

I have a 70D, and that's spot on as to what I experienced with a 90% charge (I'm assuming the OP meant 90%).

At first I was a little alarmed like the OP, but then I realized it's just a seasonal thing. It will go back up during the spring/summer.

You'll still have some range loss, but it's not as dramatic as the loss the range indicator gives you during the winter.

We'll I started off at 65-73, with CC on. Then I was getting warnings that I needed to lower my speed to <60 then <55, then <50 then <45 to make it. I lowered my speed some -- which wasn't safe as everyone else around my was not & yet my range kept slowing lowering, percent by percent. I was trying to keep the energy needle as neutral to as possible when CC wasn't on.
When those speed reduction warnings appear, it's time to tuck in behind an 18 wheeler. Drafting is an excellent range booster.

1. Was that 115 kW sustained over more than 2 minutes?
2. Which battery size is your car?
I've had my 70D for just a few months now and I've experienced about 101-105kW SpC rates at 2 sites below 28% SoC.. and it was awesome!

It tapered down to 90kw but held steady up to almost 60% then it dropped to 60/70kw rates after.

This of course was at a BIG newer site with lots of stalls. Everything else here just gives 40 to 60kw usually.

3. Was the battery warmed by, say, previous driving over 15 minutes?

I had been driving for an hour on the highway @75 or so in 8-10 deg f temp.
I didn't sit in the car, I went inside for tacos and it was charged when I came back out to 90% (my set point)
P100d ap2
there was one other S at the SC station, 2 stalls over

I had been driving for an hour on the highway @75 or so in 8-10 deg f temp.
I didn't sit in the car, I went inside for tacos and it was charged when I came back out to 90% (my set point)
P100d ap2
there was one other S at the SC station, 2 stalls over

Okay, a P100D with a warm battery from an hour of fast driving. In that case that rate makes sense. A 70 kWh car can't reach that in ideal conditions, and nobody can do that on a cold pack.

Bought a 70d 6 months ago. Started out 80% charge getting 215 miles. Once did a 100% and charged to 240. Would go to super chargers occasionally and the first time could not believe how fast and the amperage it was at. Fast forward 6 months and 3 updates and now 80% (daily charge) only gets 204 miles. Daily driving does not even come close to getting the miles as it did brand new. It is a lot colder as we are in the middle of winter and bought the car in the summer (Virginia). Did not realize the heater drains way more than the a/c. Lastly, superchargers..... was in need of a quick charge to get back home from 1 hour away, Got to the supercharger with 100 miles left thinking we could back to 200 in about 20 min or so and the charger would only charge at 26kw. Thought it might be a bad charger so moved over to the next one and same thing, after about 10 min only went to 35kw and stayed there. 8 superchargers and we were the only one using it.

- anyone have charging issues after the 8.0 update
- is the cold weather that bad on the charging and or daily driving mileage
- are others experiencing same super charger issues.

I have experienced Supercharger slowdowns. You should call the number listed on the Supercharger when this happens in order to report the issue: 877.798.3752.

3. Was the battery warmed by, say, previous driving over 15 minutes?
I learned on our recent road trip that you really need to drive for at least an hour at 20f to get the 90kw+ charge rates. We discovered this after only getting 40kw after driving at 55 mph or so for 45 minutes which isn't enough to warm up the pack.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
I learned on our recent road trip that you really need to drive for at least an hour at 20f to get the 90kw+ charge rates. We discovered this after only getting 40kw after driving at 55 mph or so for 45 minutes which isn't enough to warm up the pack.
Not sure of the precise point in time, but agree that it takes time. My non-scientific approach is using regen as my guide. Until regen is fully kicked in, my battery is still too cold for full strength charging. Just a gauge, but it works for me as there is such a noticable impact to regen from a cold/cool battery which is why charging upon arrival home, reaching destination or amid long distance travel is optimal. A warm batery already exists.