Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 months to repair Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stenkb

Roadster 938 Model S 5957 Model X ?
Nov 23, 2009
Lethbridge, Alberta
So my roadster had a Hit n Run the beginning of December (nothing much I could do about that....) and so the fun begins....

Dec 1 ,2010 - car hit n run
the next month and a half I spent dealing with incompetent insurance people...
Jan 15, 2011 - arranged transport to have my car shipped to Seattle for repair...
Feb 1, 2011 - car arrives in seattle for repairs and waits for parts from Tesla
Mar 15, 2011 - parts for repairs finally arrive - and am told repairs will take 4 - 5 weeks
if repairs go as planned (even though I can't understand how it can take so long) that will take me to April 22
April 22 - car possibly repaired, now to transport it back to me
May 10 - car returned to me repaired I hope.

6 months to repair a Roadster.........
:wink:

link to pics of the damage - which for the most part is cosmetic.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/4792-some-!-!**!-side-swiped-my-roadster-in-a-hit-and-run?p=54152#post54152

Last edited:
Well to be fair to Tesla, ignoring the insurance incompetence that's 4 months. It's still a long time, but I guess it's to be expected with carbon fibre. Must feel like waiting for the initial car delivery all over again...

I went through a similar story minus the insurance part (I am a very happy Geico customer). It took four months between crash and getting the car back. I suspect that the manufacturer of carbon fiber body panels gives priority to orders coming from the factory over the ones coming from body shops.
That wait was longer than when I initially ordered the car (that took 6 weeks).
I wonder how long will one have to wait for body panels to be made after the production stops...

Well to be fair to Tesla, ignoring the insurance incompetence that's 4 months. It's still a long time, but I guess it's to be expected with carbon fibre. Must feel like waiting for the initial car delivery all over again...

I do have that anticipation build up again from all this waiting......especially since my 2010 Roadster is getting a facelift and when I get it back will have the new 2.5 front bumper and rear end. Then when I get it back I will have my new carbon fiber door sills, door pulls and air vents to install......should be looking pretty sweet by then!

I do have that anticipation build up again from all this waiting......especially since my 2010 Roadster is getting a facelift and when I get it back will have the new 2.5 front bumper and rear end. Then when I get it back I will have my new carbon fiber door sills, door pulls and air vents to install......should be looking pretty sweet by then!

Oooh nice! I'm thinking of getting the CF sills and pulls. I don't think I'd be able to get a 2.5 upgrade past my, uh, CFO.

Had an accident 20 Feb 2011

Here's my experience so far:

21 Dec 2010: 2010 Roadster 2.5 delivered to my door
20 Feb 2011: Ford F-150 backs into my Roadster 2.5. Trailer hitch punches square hole in nose, breaks right hood support.
25 Feb 2011: After filing insurance claim with other driver's insurance and speaking with Jake and Andrew at TM, we identified a bodyshop that can handle exotic cars/materials in my local area.
26 Feb 2011: Roadster delivered to slected bodyshop
4 Mar 2011: Roadster disassembled from windshield forward to identify all damages - find cracked CF subframe, broken CF radiator crossmember - plus visible damage identified earlier plus other internal damages.
4-18 Mar 2011: Attempt to identify and order needed parts from Tesla, after several e-mails of photos, Jake comes to Phoenix to view Roadster and catalouge parts needed on 16 Mar 2011. Parts ordered 18 Mar 2011.
25 Mar 2011: Cost of parts obtained, estimated cost of repairs $10,500.

Once parts arrive will not take long to repair. However, not all parts in stock. Nose must come from England, could take 4 weeks. Other parts, 2 weeks. Might have Roadster back by Earth Day (22 April 2011).