Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 or 7 seat configuration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We went with 7. I prefer the look of the 6 and the long item storage, but unlike many of the 6-buyers here, we have 3 kids and we often drive as a complete family, which means 2-1-2 or 2-3-0 with gear in the 3rd row. If we had only 2 kids, we'd have gone with the school bus option (6 seats). Instead, we put the little ones (5 & 3) in the 3rd row carseats and the 5-foot 0-inch oldest child in the middle row (with 2 in-laws, when applicable, so they no longer rent a separate vehicle). The little ones are both able to buckle-in and -out of their carseats as well as operate the middle row. I also don't like the potential for a middle row carseat to smush up against the front row. And when needed, we can cart two more friends instead of one, which is good for the soccer mom/dad responsibilities. As far as rear-viewing, many people transition to using the rear camera and/or autopilot, so I'm not overly concerned with the reduced visibility in the middle channel. My only issue is we have to wait for both the FWD and middle row to move up every time we arrive somewhere. With the 6, you only need to wait for the FWD to open and the 3rd row occupants can scurry out in half the time. There is no right choice because we all select based on our needs, but the issues above were the ones I found most important to that choice.

Reactions: ccutrer
Been lurking in this thread, but I'll add my $0.02 just because, hey, why not? Gotta keep that post count up LOL

For me it came down to availability -- picking up a CPO on Saturday that is a 7-seater. If I were ordering, I'd get a 6-seater. But in some ways the 7-seater will be appreciated. Example: we have a couple, with their two kids, visiting us in a few months. When we visit them we all travel in their 7-seater Honda Pilot SUV. It is nice to only have to take 1-car to get places. When they visit us we've used two cars in the past; now we won't have to split across two vehicles.

However, we typically won't need more than 6 seater. The most we'd ever really need is 6 because we are family of 3 (9-yr old daughter, my wife, me). Beyond that, it is just my mother and my in-laws (3x total) for 6 grand total. That is it, locally. If we're out with another couple and their kids (4x) that is very rare that we'd all go in a single car, anyhow. And my brother is also a family of 3x, so when he would visit, we'd still only be 6 total.

IMO, the pros/cons are rather minimal. I've test driven for as long as 24-hours a 7-seater, and the rear visibility is lower, but not horrible. Storage capacity is again marginalized, but how important that is really depends on your needs. If you're hauling stuff and don't need ANY passengers, then the Model S works just as good -- or a 5-seater X, too, with the fold down second row. Really, the X is meant to be 6 or 7 seats (at least, in my eyes), for sake of hauling people, not stuff.

Though I'd prefer to open middle so my daughter could more easily get the 3rd row without having to wait for the middle seats to move forward/backward, having the 7th seat will prove nice occasionally. And since I decided to get a CPO (to save $), I'll be curious long term to see if/when I desire the 6-seater version instead. Something tells me my next/7th Tesla will be another Model X, likely a 100D down the road, with AP2 hardware. :)

Been on the fence for this one and went with 7. My 24 hour test drive was with a 6 seater and my oldest (5'10") sat in the 3rd row with out issues and my 2 youngest in carseats in the 2nd row. In our current SUV, everyone sits in the 2nd row and the 3rd row seats are always folded flat for more cargo, ie strollers, Costco shopping, etc... For the X, picked the 7 seater for the same reason. If we need to carry more people, we'll have that extra tiny seat in the 2nd row and the 3rd row, perfect for the in-laws ;)
Are you aware that the middle seat in the second row has very little headroom? I'm 5'-10" also, and I couldn't straighten my neck sitting in that middle seat. You can't attach car seats in the middle seat, so your oldest will have to seat there or in the 3rd row. Not much headroom in the 3rd row either. I guess with only him (her?) in the 3rd row, they can twist their legs off to the side, but I don't think it will be very comfortable. Too bad you couldn't test a 7-seater instead. That and the 6-seater are totally different experiences.

EDIT: After continuing reading, I see that you could put the car seats in the 3rd row and the older child in one of the 2nd row seats. So that will work if you're okay with the youngest being farther away.

It is funny how many of us are toiling with this decision - it is a credit to Tesla and their design that we even have the option of 5,6 or 7 seats, which AFAIK does not appear on the equivalent German engineered vehicles.

My wife wants 7 seats for the 2 or 3 journeys we will need them for, whereas we have ordered 6 based on the best use for the majority of the time

I have to say that is an extremely optimistic perspective on this. :D Big part why Tesla offers 5, 6 and 7 seaters is because none of them are very optimal solutions. 7 seater does not fold in the middle, 6 seater came to allow people to carry longer items and does not have captains chairs but simply a removed middle chair... and 5 seater is a budget solution, sure it folds but it also has none of the looks or grace of the monoposts.

Germans do have 2+3, 2+4+2 and 2+3+2 configurations, for example Audi Q7 does. And they fold every which way, they have things like ski pass-throughs and pulldown armrests etc. and those seats were designed for that purpose, not just one seat removed. So, a lot of interior catching up to do for Tesla! The 5 seater was not really a very big step forward for them, let alone the removal of ventilation in the front...

All that said, I think in the 6 seater Tesla created a quite a nice car by accident. Sure it is freak show and not optimal without any support for the passengers there, but the monoposts do look quite nice standing by themselves and the middle seat removed makes it all airy, while allowing adequate cargo space potential. So, looks wise, the 6 seater is a nice car in the end.

p.s. Personally went with the 6 for the looks and the potential for longer items. People carrying wise 5 seats would be enough for me, but it lacks the premium feel for me. So the 6 seater remains my favourite choice today, but would of course prefer folding down on the second row as well as things like second row arm rests and trunk covers. So, a redesigned 6 seater interior along those lines would be perfect for me. YMMV of course.

truly an agonizing decision but i think i am going to go with the 6 seater.

it still really sucks there is no armrest for the 2nd row seats and your "inner" arm is just dangling there.

WHERE ARE THE AFTERMARKET 2ND ROW CONSOLE/ARMREST SOLUTIONS?!?!?!??!

You can't attach car seats in the middle seat, so your oldest will have to seat there or in the 3rd row.

You can certainly attach car seats in the 2nd row center seat of a 7 seater. That's why there's a tether anchor installed on the seat, with instructions on how to use it in the owners manual. Given the height restriction, it's actually the best use of that seat in my opinion.

The only issue is that in order to use it, it has to be a seat belt installation, as there are no LATCH anchors for the middle seat.

In case anyone is wondering how they fit, the car seat lady did a review of seats in a 7 seater. Including rear facing for the 3rd row. You are being redirected...