Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 or 7 seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you all find the legroom in the rear-most seats in the 7 seat model?

We have a 6-seat (w/ no console) but agonized about 6 vs 7 for a long time, pre-purchase. We test drove the 6 seat model and really liked the access to the rear-most seats so that's what we went with. However, my first time seeing a 7 seat model was at the Tesla store yesterday and it seemed to not have enough room for even my 9 year old's legs with his younger brother in the seat in front of him. I'm curious if we just had the seats too far back or if there's a legit amount of legroom in the back that I wasn't seeing.

The middle row of the seven slides front to rear, allowing you to balance second and third row leg room. The car in the showroom was probably all the way to the rear.

We've had 7 passengers in our X several times when family visits.

Moving the middle row forward helps to increase leg room in the back row.

Moving the front seats forward helps to increase leg room in the middle row.

The biggest issue is on the driver's side - if the driver needs more leg room - the person sitting behind the driver may have less than in the other seats.

Reactions: Mattzilla
...Is that part of extra cost over the 5 seat version?...

Yes. I have 5 seats so no extra rear air conditioner for me.

...we might need more air conditioning.

If you don't turn off the "Cabin Overheat Protection" feature, it does make a difference in how passengers feel how less hot the car is.

Cabin Overheat Protection keeps your cabin below 104F while traditional cars would not have that feature and those cars might feel much hotter than that when passengers get in.

It's even better if you manually turn on the air conditioning from your app remotely prior to going to the parking lot.

For my 5 seater Model X, my passengers feel fine with the air conditioning.

Reactions: SaniDel
I actually did an experiment with my passengers by turning off "Cabin Overheat Protection" on some days and then with it turned on some other days.

Although 104F is very hot but that's cool enough for the HVAC to catch up much quicker with the cool air and my passengers do feel the HVAC works much better on days that I keep the feature on and complained it's not working as fast on days that I purposefully turned it off without telling them.

For fussy passengers, of course, I make sure to remotely turn on the HVAC prior to leaving for the parking lot.

We decided on the 7 seat config for a few very simple reasons.

1. Supplemental AC. Both the 6 and 7 get this but there is no question that there is better cooling than the 5 seat. My 2 year old and my puppies don't like overheating.
2. Cargo space. We don't give anything up with the 7 seat. If we want to fold them down we can.
3. 7 passengers(though the ones in the rear have to be hobbit like)

We decided on the 7 seat config for a few very simple reasons.

1. Supplemental AC. Both the 6 and 7 get this but there is no question that there is better cooling than the 5 seat. My 2 year old and my puppies don't like overheating.
2. Cargo space. We don't give anything up with the 7 seat. If we want to fold them down we can.
3. 7 passengers(though the ones in the rear have to be hobbit like)
We've got to have the additional A/C in Phoenix!

Yes. I have 5 seats so no extra rear air conditioner for me.

If you don't turn off the "Cabin Overheat Protection" feature, it does make a difference in how passengers feel how less hot the car is.

Cabin Overheat Protection keeps your cabin below 104F while traditional cars would not have that feature and those cars might feel much hotter than that when passengers get in.

It's even better if you manually turn on the air conditioning from your app remotely prior to going to the parking lot.

For my 5 seater Model X, my passengers feel fine with the air conditioning.

We have a dog and use Dog Mode quite a bit. The rear AC is important to us for that reason- keeps that “way back” area nice for our pup.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo