Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seat versus 7 seat - need HELP please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be a silly question, but I'm curious. Do the 3rd row seats fold down independently, or only as a tandem? I apologize if this has been covered previously. But, I'm somewhat new to the forum and Tesla community. We live in the midwest, and so they do not have an X at the local showroom. I've taken the plunge, as frankly I've never even seen an X, let alone sat in one....honestly, haven't sat in an S yet either. Faith in Tesla, I guess. In our Odyssey, we've taken out the middle chair in row 2. So, we've always sat 2-1-2 or 2-2-1. We've had it 8 years, and the kids are now 10, 7, 5. Actually, we plan on keeping the Odyssey so the 6 vs 7 decision is more an esthetics decision, or a mirror/vision issue (which, apparently with the cameras and such, really shouldn't be that much of an issue anyways, right?)

But, do the 3rd row seats fold down independently, or only both as tandem?

This may be a silly question, but I'm curious. Do the 3rd row seats fold down independently, or only as a tandem? I apologize if this has been covered previously. But, I'm somewhat new to the forum and Tesla community. We live in the midwest, and so they do not have an X at the local showroom. I've taken the plunge, as frankly I've never even seen an X, let alone sat in one....honestly, haven't sat in an S yet either. Faith in Tesla, I guess. In our Odyssey, we've taken out the middle chair in row 2. So, we've always sat 2-1-2 or 2-2-1. We've had it 8 years, and the kids are now 10, 7, 5. Actually, we plan on keeping the Odyssey so the 6 vs 7 decision is more an esthetics decision, or a mirror/vision issue (which, apparently with the cameras and such, really shouldn't be that much of an issue anyways, right?)

But, do the 3rd row seats fold down independently, or only both as tandem?

Independently

Out of curiosity, for those with the 7 seater and two car seats in the outer seats - how much room is there for an adult between them anyway? We are able to do it in our Model S, but it's very tight - as in, unreasonably tight. Is is similar in the Model X?

Family of four here, so the six seater was the obvious choice. If we had one more, I probably would have gone with the 7.

More space in the middle seat as compared to model S. So with two big car seats it really makes things much more comfortable for the adult in between.
I can definitely understand the need for six seater too as anyone in the back over 5'10"ish is gonna feel cramped. Also family of four but it's great having a full middle row. But that's just our preference

We just got our seven seat and I would agree with hdnyc's comments and others. The kids are fine with the back row. The rear view mirror is not that big of a deal. We wanted the flexibility to haul as many as possible when needed, and when we don't we keep the third row folded flat.

That said you do need to adjust the middle row to give the third row adequate room when people sit back there.
Overall, I think it's personal concerning how many people you are planning to haul, but it is nice to have option of 7.

Overall comfort in all rows is leagues better than other SUVs and minivans we have owned or been in. Folks that set in second row consistently comment on comfort of seats.

Reactions: gpetti
I have my 7 seat X now and I'm very happy. We have never (so far) needed the third row but we have definitely used the middle seat in the second row when one of us needs to sit back with the twins or if we have a fifth passenger (common for us). On our recent road trip we had the back (with seats down) full of luggage so it was good not to have to use one of the third row seats and obviously much easier to tend to the babies. As noted elsewhere, the third row is less comfortable than the second row if you do have to sit there, particularly if you're tall, so having an extra second row seat is great. (To be clear the third row is still better than many other 7 seat vehicles.) The visibility does not bother me at all it is very similar to my model S and even without the headrests, the visibility is of limited use without side mirrors and the rear camera. I can still get a good view of traffic behind regardless of the "7th seat". I do understand that if you regularly had to use the third row (e.g. 4 rear passengers) not having the second row middle seat makes things much less claustrophobic for the third row passenger.

it's easier to see the cop in your rearview mirror with 6....but beyond that it actually makes the rear two sits more liveable, from making it less claustrophobic since you have that open space to get your legs through in the back, and also for extra storage on trips or sticking in long objects. If you have 2 kids it's perfect (and room for grandma, grandpa when needed or a friend for each)...if you have 3 kids or really need to transport 7 then....

What is happening directly behind you while you are driving that concerns you so much? I am much more concerned about things in front and to the left and right. If I am backing up and need to see behind me I use the rear view camera.
Other cars of course. Maybe in the US it's different because of the keep your lane system, but in Europe you tend to change lanes frequently to bypass slower vehicles. And then it's good to know who's driving behind you.

In my limited experience carrying 5 or 6 people in my 6 seat X, people find it much easier & quicker to access the third row using the space between the two 2nd row seats, rather than moving the 2nd row seats forward. Plus, there's more leg room for the third row passengers. So if you don't need 7 seats, there are advantages to the 6 seat configuration.

We were pretty set on getting 7 seats, but changed to 6 seats after seeing a 7 seater. It's much less claustrophobic and allows for more leg room in the 3rd room which is sorely needed. The 7th seat is also a bit tight and unusable for even moderately tall people due to the beam in the center.
Being able to put longer things in the car should also be a plus.