Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 Seat vs 7 Seat Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I learned so far about the 6/7 seat options:
(1) The center console on 6 seat option will most likely NOT be available to Sig res holders by year end
(2) The center console for 6 seater MAY be offered in the future as an option at an additional cost, even though one forgoes the 7th seat without credit!
(3) There are no arm rests on the outer 2 seats in 6 seat option
(4) The center seat of the 7 seat option is NOT easily removable if one was to replace it at a later date with a center console. Could probably be done but not trivial and likely expensive.

What I am still trying to get confirmation on:
(1) There was a video of a pull-down arm rest embedded into the 7th seat in Elon's VIN #1, does anyone know if this is standard??? We already know that Elon's car had custom rims so this is not a given. See last 15secs of this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32KjAnZ-_6E&index=12&list=PLlPCwNXIVZpx3-BUPHxYNwSaqm_n1J_W_

- - - Updated - - -

7th seat embedded arm rest.png

- - - Updated - - -

The 7 seat option on configurator looks very different:
7 seat pic.png

...There was a video of a pull-down arm rest embedded into the 7th seat in Elon's VIN #1, does anyone know if this is standard???...
Some buyers are assuming it is. I would hope that as part of product improvement, it would be included with all the Seven Seat Interiors. (If it is NOT included, then a separate cushion of leatherette or leather could be placed on the existing seat to simulate what is shown in Elon's Model X.)

However, I have written to both of my Inside Sales Advisors with links to that exact video. No response has occurred. Is "no news, good news" or are they asking questions to others, and we will find out later?

The question you ask is very important. Although I have ordered the Six Seat Interior, not having a removable console included at delivery or perhaps later is a concern. Are we missing something else in the decision? Seeing the arm rest in the video the other day pleased me, so I was sending and posting the link because "a picture is worth a thousand words". (I know, many appreciate less words!)

But let me add my own personal list of the positives for each choice. Please list some of your own, as I don't have the same needs as you do.

6 Seats: Eliminates discomfort for 2nd row passengers (low head room or shoulder bumping with bench alignment). Allows maximum leg room (towards the center) for rear seat passengers. Possible console option (or space for a plastic cooler or pet area). Cargo space for long objects. Leg space if one person sleeps on the rear folded seats with head to the rear. A spacious feeling to the cabin. Adds uniformity by removing the narrow seat. Access to the rear seats at all times.

7 Seats: Extra seat for another passenger. Excellent view seat giving a center view to the Big Sky windshield. Arm rest as seen in Elon's Model X. A seat belted platform for an object such as a plastic cooler. Center seat could be moved forward to give extra shoulder room for all three passengers and help add some center leg room for the rear passengers. A center seat for sitting next to twin infant car seats.

When you think of all the possibilities, it really is a challenging choice. I look forward to spending time with someone else's 7 Seat Interior to compare the features with my Model X.

Last edited:
You might find this quote from another thread helpful:
3rd row folded, 50" from back of middle seats to hatch when middle seats are all the way back, 60" if they are in their full forward position. 27.5" from folded rear seats to C pillar cross beam, which appears to be a constant as there's a beefy support for the FWD hinge there the full length of the back.

In 6 seat config. You have a 15" gap between the middle seats and an 80" linear space to the back...

Thank you for your inputs/thoughts. I only have another day to decide but am now leaning back toward the 7 seater. I think that an empty space between the seats would look and feel awkward to the passengers and I can't get passed the fact that I would be giving up a beautiful 7th seat and not getting anything in return. I do prefer captains chairs over a 3 seat 2nd row personally, so I'll just have to hold out hope that Tesla comes up with a middle-seat/console swap solution in the future at a reasonable cost.

The Cadillac Escalade squeezes three passengers in the rear fold down seats. Note the empty space in the second row to get to the rear seats.

01_perspective_img_1.jpg

The riders certainly must appreciate the folding arm rests. I am pleased that Tesla is offering both the 7 and 6 seat interiors.

I discussed 6 seats vs 7 seats with my wife yesterday. We concluded that the only viable option for us is the 6 seat configuration with the center console. I'm not sure if I can get my wife to agree to buying the car with the hope that there will be a center console at some point in the future, though. Tesla should really include the center console as a replacement for the middle seat at no cost.

Center console and armrests, please. [emoji4]
Armrests aren't important for me if the center console is included. The center console is after all a giant armrest.

But an empty space there without armrests or a center console isn't good enough for us, the car would just seem *unfinished*. Maybe I'll be able to convince my wife if there's a firm promise from Tesla that this will be a cheap option with delivery in X months, but that might not be good enough, given the years of delay on the premium center console on the Model S.

Not necessarily if its the pedestal mount that is the issue and not the seats itself, which is what many think from the comments made by EM.
But if they are having trouble producing them pedestal in quantity perhaps the 6 seat configuration where there are only 2 instead of 3 pedestals would be the preferred first builds. You can build three 2 seat second row Xs (6 seat config) instead of only two 3 seat second row (7 seat config)!! :)

Not necessarily if its the pedestal mount that is the issue and not the seats itself, which is what many think from the comments made by EM.

It was my understanding that it was the actual seat, rather than the pedestal. "Monopost" was the actual term used and I believe it was used as an adjective to identify and describe the 2nd row seats. The actual quote was, "The monopost seat in the second row is still a challenge".

My DS called today with an answer to one of my questions. Sigs with 6 seat option will have the center console included as well. He even went on to say that he was asked to check whether we use an Apple or Android phone. Apparently there is a phone plug-in, perhaps similar to front center "hands-free" feature, and, although "they will provide both cables", we can specify which phone type we want initially set up. I was too surprised to ask many questions, like will the console be removable etc. but will attempt to find out.

This was in the same call where he reported confirmation that all Sigs will have 72 amp chargers.

My DS called today with an answer to one of my questions. Sigs with 6 seat option will have the center console included as well. He even went on to say that he was asked to check whether we use an Apple or Android phone. Apparently there is a phone plug-in, perhaps similar to front center "hands-free" feature, and, although "they will provide both cables", we can specify which phone type we want initially set up. I was too surprised to ask many questions, like will the console be removable etc. but will attempt to find out.

This was in the same call where he reported confirmation that all Sigs will have 72 amp chargers.

Good news on both fronts. Thanks for letting us Sigs know.

This would be very welcome news. Not happy at how this is being communicated though ..as others have pointed out! I originally configured a 6-seater but after being told by several reps that the center console would not be offered, changed to a 7-seater. It just didn't seem right that one would give up a 7th seat and not get anything in return! Perhaps Tesla came to their senses and corrected this injustice ..maybe another reason for the delay in deliveries. Just emailed Testa to confirm and make the change back to a 6-seater! Keeping my fingers crossed. Shouldn't be so difficult, but I'm glad that they are listening - another huge benefit of this community!

This would be very welcome news. Not happy at how this is being communicated though ..as others have pointed out! I originally configured a 6-seater but after being told by several reps that the center console would not be offered, changed to a 7-seater. It just didn't seem right that one would give up a 7th seat and not get anything in return! Perhaps Tesla came to their senses and corrected this injustice ..maybe another reason for the delay in deliveries. Just emailed Testa to confirm and make the change back to a 6-seater! Keeping my fingers crossed. Shouldn't be so difficult, but I'm glad that they are listening - another huge benefit of this community!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this appears to be a case of Broken Telephone! Tesla just replied to my inquiry and said the following:

The information you received that a center console for those that chose a 6-seat option would not be available is correct. Signature orders will receive a premium front console that has integrated phone plug ins.

..back to the 7-seat configuration for me. Not happy right now!