Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seat vs. 7 seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll actually have LESS usable space in that configuration than having the center channel open between the middle seats in a 6 seat config.

Sometimes I wonder if Tesla created the 5 seat option just to set up their pricing structure exactly 5k above the Model S 70D. I would not be surprised to see the 5 seat option disappear with in a year just like S 40 which they created to reach a low price target.

I am going to go with 6 seat too. Did the "Meet the Model X" yesterday in Costa Mesa and definitely prefer the 6 seat for added cargo and space. My friend was sitting in the back during our drive and noticed after about 3 seconds that it was so weird that there were no arm rests. I don't think kids will care/notice but adults who are used to sitting in the front definitely will.

We originally ordered 7 seat. Now that we finally got to spend time inside both the 6 and 7 seat version, we are leaning towards changing our order to the 6 seat. It just feels so much more spacious. Sitting in the 3rd row of a 6 seat also gives you a nice view of the huge windshield and the entire cabin feels open.

You'll actually have LESS usable space in that configuration than having the center channel open between the middle seats in a 6 seat config.

And you know this because you have seen a five seat configuration and know how much space will be freed by the removal of the third row?

- - - Updated - - -

I think their might also be a market for a 4 seat option. Rarely need a seat for a 5th person, and that seat is the most uncomfortable due to crowding. Might be best to have just 4 seats with that nice open area between them.

I agree, a four seat option would be great.

And you know this because you have seen a five seat configuration and know how much space will be freed by the removal of the third row?

True, nobody has seen a five seat config. Although it doesn't seem like it would add that much space when removing the third row since they sit on top of the motor/inverter box. My guess is that you'll gain about 15" of vertical space where the seats were.

I think their might also be a market for a 4 seat option. Rarely need a seat for a 5th person, and that seat is the most uncomfortable due to crowding. Might be best to have just 4 seats with that nice open area between them.

There are two different ways to spin four seat, each with advantages for some sorts of tasks.

For executive types or folks looking to balance rear seat comfort with maximum space, a second row four seat car makes sense.

For extreme cargo space, you could have a "third row" four seat car - no middle row at all, one massive load floor in the middle truly at floor level. If the third row got a flip after the fold, you could create a long, flat, low load floor from front to rear instead.

No, but I understand the physics involved here and spoke to the guys at the factory. The 3rd row seats sit on top of a 'box' that's about 8" off the floor level. That box covers the rear drive assembly. It can't get smaller. It's level with the lower setting on the rear cargo shelf/cover. If you remove the rear seats you gain the 6-8" of vertical space that the folded seats consume. That's it.

I like the idea of building a support that fills the space between the 2nd row seats (in a 6-seat config) and aligns with the level of the folded 3rd row. This would be useful not just for sleeping/cots as mentioned upthread, but also for transporting longer items. On a solo road trip, that support plus a memory foam topper, a pillow, and comforter would make RV charging very comfortable!

Yup. I will not be buying an X until there is a 4 seat option. Don't need 3rd row, don't want middle seat.

I doubt that will be an option, I can't see too many people configuring like that. It would be a super custom order.

The ratio of orders between 6 and 7 is roughly 1:1 (according to ModelXTracker).
I think it'd be reasonable to assume that there'd be a similar 1:1 split between 4 and 5. As evidenced by this thread, taking out the middle seat makes a big difference in the feel and utility of the car, so some people would prefer 4 for the same reasons some people prefer 6.

Even if it ends up being only 5% of buyers, why refuse them and leave that money on the table? If you're going to the trouble of offering 5, why not offer 4?

The ratio of orders between 6 and 7 is roughly 1:1 (according to ModelXTracker).
I think it'd be reasonable to assume that there'd be a similar 1:1 split between 4 and 5. As evidenced by this thread, taking out the middle seat makes a big difference in the feel and utility of the car, so some people would prefer 4 for the same reasons some people prefer 6.

Even if it ends up being only 5% of buyers, why refuse them and leave that money on the table? If you're going to the trouble of offering 5, why not offer 4?

I understand the reasoning, I just don't see how having a 4 seat SUV makes sense :\

The seats in the Model S fold down so that's almost better in most regards.

My wife took possession of her new 7-seat MX on Wednesday. We have 3 kids and a dog and she loves the 3 middle row seats.

I'm planning to order my own MX and I definitely won't be ordering the 7-seat option. In my opinion the 6 seat option is far better and more practical unless you absolutely need the extra seating. The 2nd row middle seat is narrower than the adjacent seats, hinders the view with the rear view mirror, it makes sitting in the 3rd row very uncomfortable for any but the smallest adults and worst of all is not comfortable for an adult due to reduced width and head hitting the roof (I'm just under 6' tall).

I understand the reasoning, I just don't see how having a 4 seat SUV makes sense :\

The seats in the Model S fold down so that's almost better in most regards.

Doesn't make sense to you. Makes perfect sense to me. I prefer the height of an Suv over a sedan. No people to haul, just my spouse and I and the dog. We do two major road trips a year and want to bring as much of home with us as we can. A 4 seat version(no middle row) makes perfect sense for the Chinese as well who want that executive, chauffeured feeling.