Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seat vs. 7 seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from the Meet the Model X event in Greenwich, CT. I'm 6' 5" and sat in both the 6 seater and 7 seater. To make it quick, I ended up ordering the 6 seater. Not only did I like the extra legroom for the third row, but the car seemed a lot more spacious, and seeing out the back window was much easier.

I originally selected the 7 seat option and then changed it to 6 seats. I am so glad I did! Everything people have said here is true - the vehicle seems more spacious, better access to 3rd row, better visibility, more cargo options (I moved a 7 ft artificial Xmas tree with no problem).

In addition, my border collie is thrilled with her new personal space between the two back seats. I put a blanket on the floor for her on longer trips and she loves having a spacious, stable place to stretch out and nap. She was never very fond of laying down on car seats.

I originally selected the 7 seat option and then changed it to 6 seats. I am so glad I did! Everything people have said here is true - the vehicle seems more spacious, better access to 3rd row, better visibility, more cargo options (I moved a 7 ft artificial Xmas tree with no problem).

In addition, my border collie is thrilled with her new personal space between the two back seats. I put a blanket on the floor for her on longer trips and she loves having a spacious, stable place to stretch out and nap. She was never very fond of laying down on car seats.

Would you post a photo of your dog enjoying her new space between the two seats? I am considering swiitching to the 6 seat vesrsion for this reason.

For sure the 6 seater.

Pro's
- More room for longer objects ( Bike/Skis/Racks etc ) because the second floor doesn't fold
- Easier access to the third row for your kids/friends
- More viewing options to the third row
- Better interaction for the 4 people in the back among themselves
- Cheaper

Con's
- If you have 5 kids you would need a 7 seater
- On the occasion that you have 6 friends that you want to take with you, you can't

So if you'r scenario isn't one of the mentioned above at the con's then I would really suggest to take the 6 seater

( I changed my reservation from 7 to 6, altough I am not invited to configure yet because I am located in Holland :smile:)

I'm 6' and sat in Elons 7 seater's third row for 10 minutes at the launch event without feeling crumbled at all.
Our dog, a cockapoo, can easily fit under the second row seats plus I like to put my coat or jacket on the back seats. I would be afraid they might end up on the floor in a 6 seater.
l also think the FWD make less sense in a 6 seater since you don't really need them.
The only thing I'm not sure in a 7 seater is if the skies fit inside. I prefer a ski rack though to keep the snow out of the car.
The only disadvantage of a seven seater is that I might not see the police following me when speeding, but that's far more unlikely than my jacket falling down from one of the single back seats in a 6 seater.

Two more reasons for a seven seater:
Our two year old likes to drop toys or picture books on the seat next to him which makes it much easier for us to return them to him when those things are lying on the floor.
Second: The real reason I will get a seven seater is our dog who prefers to sit on the back seats to look out of the window searching for cats and then when he is tired he lies down. A single second row seat is not big enough to lie down and I'm afraid he might miss a cat looking out through the small third row windows. At least with the seven seater I give him a chance to choose.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: than when those things are lying on the floor.

I'm 6' and sat in Elons 7 seater's third row for 10 minutes at the launch event without feeling crumbled at all.
Our dog, a cockapoo, can easily fit under the second row seats plus I like to put my coat or jacket on the back seats. I would be afraid they might end up on the floor in a 6 seater.
l also think the FWD make less sense in a 6 seater since you don't really need them.
The only thing I'm not sure in a 7 seater is if the skies fit inside. I prefer a ski rack though to keep the snow out of the car.
The only disadvantage of a seven seater is that I might not see the police following me when speeding, but that's far more unlikely than my jacket falling down from one of the single back seats in a 6 seater.

I don't think skis can fit in the 7 seater no matter what you do... but I don't have direct experience with this other than sitting in the 7 seater at the launch event.

I don't think skis can fit in the 7 seater no matter what you do... but I don't have direct experience with this other than sitting in the 7 seater at the launch event.
I think he means he does not want snow melting inside of his car so the rack is better.

It's funny though that some dog owners want the six seat version and some want the seven, all for the same reasons. I think we need to ask the dogs instead of their 'companions'.:smile:

I could take my dog to the Geneva auto show. Do you think they would let him try the back seats?:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

If you put one second row seat all the way to the front? The carving skies are quite short. But as I mentioned before I prefer a dry car plus the ski edges can make nasty scratches. So better to keep them outside.

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 10.46.03 AM.png

I find that ironic. The pleather was a reaction from the vegan share-holders. The 6-seater was a reaction from the folding 2nd-row community. Maybe he should consult with us more often. ;-)

Yes. It's disappointing that they couldn't figure out such important stuff on their own. They might need to reflect on their decision making to prevent reoccurrence of such events. It's okay to make mistakes, but it's dangerous to repeat them. However, their handling with allowing six seat option was very good. It actually transformed a problem into an asset. A sign of great minds at work at Tesla.

Last night we had my parents and the wife's parents over. And we had to go for dinner together. The minivan fit 6 of us and the baby in car seat comfortably. I'd been pestering the wife for considering the 6 seat, but this was final nail in the coffin. We couldn't do this without a 7 seater. And the wife is OK with sitting in the rear seat with the baby and in a few years the children will be happy to be back there.

For the most part, we will be able to carry 5 and keep the 3rd row folded down for luggage.

I am with you Vizir. I have plenty of kids, parents and others who will fill all 7 seats. I am in the people hauling business for the next 10+ years. We're I not, I'd probably still go with 7 as 6 is still an awkward config since the 3rd row isn't level with he second row. That is, if you take the middle seat out of second row, you don't get one flat surface through to rear hatch as the 3rd row rests on a bump that is literally part of the frame.

That said, I respect and appreciate everyone's thoughts on 6 vs 7 and like the fact that TM is offering the 6 for people who don't need 7. More options will attract more buyers, which is good for TM and the BEV movement in general.

I am with you Vizir. I have plenty of kids, parents and others who will fill all 7 seats. I am in the people hauling business for the next 10+ years. We're I not, I'd probably still go with 7 as 6 is still an awkward config since the 3rd row isn't level with he second row. That is, if you take the middle seat out of second row, you don't get one flat surface through to rear hatch as the 3rd row rests on a bump that is literally part of the frame.

That said, I respect and appreciate everyone's thoughts on 6 vs 7 and like the fact that TM is offering the 6 for people who don't need 7. More options will attract more buyers, which is good for TM and the BEV movement in general.

Two hours ago I was going to reply that I was in your camp (I have three kids). Just got home from the test drive event and found the 7 seat layout to be bordering on ridiculous. It was horrible. See my notes here:
Any More Test Drive Reports From The Tour? - Page 2