Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seat vs. 7 seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wasmithorg

Model 3 Performance
Dec 20, 2015
Lynden, WA
Which configuration do people prefer (assuming you only expect to carry 6 people or less) and why?

I'm trying to decide. 7 seats could be handy, but after sitting in it, I didn't like the idea that I hit my head on the ceiling when sitting in the middle seat (I'm 6' tall). Also the rear seat passengers could stretch out between the two 2nd row seats in the 6 seat configuration.

Yesterday my husband and I went to the Meet the X in Chicago. We were really surprised at the difference between the 6 and 7-seater. We configured a 7 seater, but after seeing the 6-seater, I would say if you don't need the 7 seats, definitely get the 6 seater. It makes the 3rd row a lot roomier. For us, we just have to have the 7 seats, we have 3 kids and a big extended family and will need that 7th space.

Unless you have a need for a seventh seat, I think the six seat has a bunch of advantages - everything from better rear vision to more third row seat room (space for all the feet) and better cargo room. It's even less expensive.

I had ordered and confirmed a Model X for 7 seats but had been debating for a while on whether 6 or 7 would ultimately be better. I had my reasons for going with the 7 seater, such as more cargo space, safer middle 2nd row seat for kids, and if we ever needed 7 seats for passengers, etc. Well, today I had a chance to see both versions at a meet the Model X and after sitting in both, I felt the 6 seater was so much more spacious and comfortable! I had actually sat in the third row (I'm 5'9") of a 7 seater right before a test drive and for me, it felt claustrophobic and cramped. It was difficult to see forward a bit and the thought crossed my mind, if we ever (hopefully never) got into a car accident and couldn't move the 2nd row seats to get out, how would I ever climb out? I then decided to move up to the 2nd row seat! My mentality has always been, if I don't feel comfortable, then I wouldn't expect my wife or kids to feel any different and I certainly wouldn't want them to feel uncomfortable either. Granted, I don't like tight spaces (like going in all the way in for an MRI screening) so maybe it's just more me, but it felt like I just didn't have enough space with that 2nd middle row seat right there.

In contrast, the 6 seater seemed very open and spacious! It was also a lot easier to see what was going on in other parts of the car and it was easy to see right through the car to the windshield. Plus, it felt like conversing with anyone in the car would be easy and it was such a contrast to the 7 seater. And after looking at the storage area for the frunk, trunk and rear well, I figured that there would be plenty of space for storage so I didn't think that was as much of a factor anymore. One of my other concerns for going with a 6 seater was if it would be a pain to get a child out of the 3rd row? Well, I must say that the 2nd row moves up very nicely and gives plenty of easy access to the third row. Unlike some other SUVs where you have to move and lift the 2nd row seat to gain access on top of climbing into the car without hitting your head to get a child out, the Model X with its falcon doors made that almost a nonissue. I was pleasantly surprised!

After the event, I contacted my DS and asked to change my configuration to a 6 seater instead of a 7. I know it will cost $500 to change it but for me, I also know the 6 seater will be better layout and more comfortable seating arrangement for us!

That's it! I have now decided to go for the 6 seat configuration. Nice to read that others also had a hard time choosing. I also feel that people who already got the 7 seat configuration kind of wish they had gone for the 6 after trying and seeing for themselves. Is that a correct assumption?

In the 6-seater, would it be possible for a person to lay down in the middle when the third row is folded? I like to sleep in the car on long distance driving.

Folded or not wouldn't matter, the 3rd row backs (when folded) are 15" or so off the 'floor' of the car. The 2nd row seats are on the floor. So if you are about 4' or less you could lay down in the seat gap between the middle row. If you are taller than that you could sit on the floor and rest your back against the back row 'hump' (which covers the rear drive assembly) and maybe you could do something with pillows to make yourself recline back and possibly sleep.

Folded or not wouldn't matter, the 3rd row backs (when folded) are 15" or so off the 'floor' of the car. The 2nd row seats are on the floor. So if you are about 4' or less you could lay down in the seat gap between the middle row. If you are taller than that you could sit on the floor and rest your back against the back row 'hump' (which covers the rear drive assembly) and maybe you could do something with pillows to make yourself recline back and possibly sleep.

Perhaps someone could fashion a collapsible cot that would fit between the seats and be even with the folded 3rd row seats.

This may be blasphemy but I went with 5 seats. My kids are older and I'd rather have a larger trunk space and not pay the extra for seats I'm unlikely to use. I wanted to get the X for the "height of technology" and because it looks so good.

You'll actually have LESS usable space in that configuration than having the center channel open between the middle seats in a 6 seat config.