Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-seater inside ski box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking and so far I only found the video of the Nerdy Engineer building a ski box. Does anybody have any experience on using a ski bag with a pair for skis (kids) and a snowboard in between the 2 rear seats in a 6-seater config?

I was considering putting a small cooler or something like that on the floor to support the bag.

@Msolsona, we use a simpler solution. I lay a thick blanket down the center gap, slide in 4 sets of skis, then fold up the sides and front of the blanket.

@Solarman004, I am trying to figure out how this works. Wouldn't the length between the third row and the front console be too short for that? Or is there space underneath the seats somehow? Unless you are talking about kid skis? I apologize for being ignorant if that appears so, since mine is not yet to be delivered, and I am trying to figure out whether it's possible to store 4 sets of skis (150-170cm) inside with 6 occupied seats. Or if I have to look for exterior racks. Thanks.

@Solarman004, I am trying to figure out how this works. Wouldn't the length between the third row and the front console be too short for that? Or is there space underneath the seats somehow? Unless you are talking about kid skis? I apologize for being ignorant if that appears so, since mine is not yet to be delivered, and I am trying to figure out whether it's possible to store 4 sets of skis (150-170cm) inside with 6 occupied seats. Or if I have to look for exterior racks. Thanks.
You are correct, this technique won't work with all 6 seats occupied. We use only 4 seats and have the 3rd row folded down. When doing that, full size adult skies (170s and 180s) will fit in the gap between 2nd row seats. I'm not sure what the answer is if the 3rd row is needed other than a hitch-mounted ski rack.

You are correct, this technique won't work with all 6 seats occupied. We use only 4 seats and have the 3rd row folded down. When doing that, full size adult skies (170s and 180s) will fit in the gap between 2nd row seats. I'm not sure what the answer is if the 3rd row is needed other than a hitch-mounted ski rack.

I see. Thank you. I guess I will have to go with the hitch option then.

I have been looking and so far I only found the video of the Nerdy Engineer building a ski box. Does anybody have any experience on using a ski bag with a pair for skis (kids) and a snowboard in between the 2 rear seats in a 6-seater config?

I was considering putting a small cooler or something like that on the floor to support the bag.

I have a Dakine Low Roller (Dakine Low Roller Snowboard Bag | Dakine) that I slide in between. It's substantial enough when packed that I can leave it angled or I can prop it up. I usually have overnight bags, or at least a backpack if it's a day trip. They come in different lengths and the 74" long bag should reach the center console though.

I haven't needed to use all 6 seats yet, but I do wonder if it'd be possible to remove the rear hatch cover and angle my boards w/o a bag instead of using a hitch carrier.

I looking for a similar solution but I'm getting the 7 seat configuration. I don't often need 7 seats so I could potentially fold the 3rd row and fit skis there but for convenience I'd like to keep the skis out of the car then I won't have to worry about melting snow and ice etc.
You have two options, both for about 400 bucks:
1. roof suckers that would go over at least one of the FWDs but not sure they will hold 4 sets so you might need two.
2. Hitch ski racks (vertical or horizontal e.g. the one normally advertised with the Model X is vertical), I'm considering the horizontal racks as it seems to me that the vertical racks would create much more drag (specially those that hold skis/snowboards flat against oncoming wind) thus have a greater effect on range though I'm not sure by how much.

If you go for the hitch rack, you might want to cover the skis with some plastic etc to protect from dirt, salt or rinse them when you get home.