Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-seater vs 7-seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife and I ordered a 6-seater Model X because we'd imagine that it would be great to get our two toddlers in the second row seats into their car seats, as well as leave ample room to get back and forth to the third row for any adults.

After driving a friend's Model X with 7-seat option over the weekend, we began to think if we made the right choice.

Does anyone here have any insight to how they use their 6-seat or 7-seat configurations for their kids?

We went with the 7 seat configuration. We have two toddlers in rear facing seats and it's actually harder in the 6 seater with two rear facing in the 2nd row to get to the back seat. The 3 across in the 7 seater are large enough to be able to put 2 full size carseats next to each other to leave a side seat open to move back and forth for rear access.

Then we thought of it from a practicality perspective. The 6 seater is great and open for when you have 6 people in the car, but we figured we'd usually have 4 or 5 (probably will have a 3rd kid) and with 5 in the 6 seater someone has to sit in the back. It's debatable what's more comfortable, sitting in the back or sitting 3 across in the 2nd row.

Finally the 7 seater just gives us that option to carry 7 people which can easily come in handy.

Hope you used their referral for free supercharging!

We love our 6-seater. My wife sits in the 2nd row and can easily swivel around and tend to our 2 (and soon to be 3) kids. The open space between the two 2nd row seats is perfect for diaper bags and also gives significantly increased legroom to any adult that ends up sitting in the 3rd row. Bottomline is if you absolutely need 7 seats then get the 7-seater. But if 95% of the time you only need 4, 5, or 6 seats then definitely get the 6-seater. I've tried sitting in the 3rd row of a 7-seater and found it to be much less comfortable. Maybe for older kids it's fine, but the inability to tend to smaller kids while we're on the road would be anxiety inducing (i.e. "Daddy I dropped my toy").

So my wife and I ordered a 6-seater Model X because we'd imagine that it would be great to get our two toddlers in the second row seats into their car seats, as well as leave ample room to get back and forth to the third row for any adults.

After driving a friend's Model X with 7-seat option over the weekend, we began to think if we made the right choice.

Does anyone here have any insight to how they use their 6-seat or 7-seat configurations for their kids?

Chances are, the 6 & 7 seat owners are going to tell you their respective configuration is the way to go.
I had a 7 seat, have a 6 seat, and considered a 5 seat configuration. Here's why I went the way I did...
**when I say kid/child, I'm referencing a kid who requires a car seat or booster.

1. The 7 seat configuration is much better than a lot of people say. If you have only 1 kid, or if you have 3 kids. This is the configuration to get. It allows you to keep the 3rd row down almost permanently. With 1 kid, you place the car seat in the middle and adults still fit on both sides. With 3 kids, you can place them all side by side and still have the full trunk space for Costco, the beach, or whatever else you need to haul. The major disadvantage is the difficult rear view. Yes, you'll get used to it; but it really does block out the middle of your rear view.

Why 1 & 3 kids, and not 2? Because chances are if you have 2, you're going to put them in the outer most seats. It will be unlikely for you to put the 2 seats side by side. If you do, then you purposely went out of your way to find narrow car seats that fit 3 across so your kids can fight/annoy each other.

Once you take up the outer seats, it is a royal pain for an adult to squeeze into the middle, keep in mind you have the FWD hinges in the middle to deal with.

2. Which brings us to the same problem in a 6 seat configuration. Could you theoretically have an adult go down the middle "aisle" like a minivan? Yes..you could. But it's a pain. It's more likely they squeeze in the size just like they would on a 7 seat configuration. Once back there, an adult fits the same (we've fit 5'10" adults in both 6 & 7 for hour long trips) The leg room is really about the same. The perception of the 6 seat is that it's bigger though because adults have the ability to see through the car instead of just glossy or matte seat backs.

The advantage of the 6 seat is that it allows extra floor storage, and the ability to buy things like electric conduits, extra long pool noodles, and like shaped items. In my opinion, it's perfect if you are carrying around 2 kids and the occasional adult.

If you have 3 kids, I think you're still better off with the 7 seat, especially if you carry around adults occasionally, or the 5 seat if you don't carry any additional adults. Otherwise, while you may not have a favorite kid; you definitely have a least favorite. This also eats into your trunk/cargo carrying ability. The one exception is if you have 2 babies and an older kid. You may have a need to sit back there to tend to the babies, in which case you'd be sitting with the 3rd child; and have easy access to tend to the two babies.

3. The 5 seat configuration is best for no children, 1 child, or multiple children w/o a need to carry additional adults. It allows you to maximize utility in the best ways. It should also be lighter weight, and simpler as there's less parts to break down the road. Unfortunately if you're carrying multiple kids with additional adults, this just isn't an option.

It's a long post, but hopefully it helps you out. For your described situation, I think you'll be fine with 6 or 7. Of course if you have any specific questions, feel free to post or message me.

I just want to say that if you have three kids who can all sit next to each other routinely without a war breaking out, then you are some lucky parents!

Thus, we have a 6 seater (which was awesome inside for a 2000 mile road trip for the family). Caveat: I only have one kid who still even needs a booster. The oldest is a teenager. Gross. Shudder. If there hadn't been a 6 seat option, we wouldn't have gotten the car.

It really depends on what you find most comfortable.

Chances are, the 6 & 7 seat owners are going to tell you their respective configuration is the way to go.
I had a 7 seat, have a 6 seat, and considered a 5 seat configuration. Here's why I went the way I did...
**when I say kid/child, I'm referencing a kid who requires a car seat or booster.

1. The 7 seat configuration is much better than a lot of people say. If you have only 1 kid, or if you have 3 kids. This is the configuration to get. It allows you to keep the 3rd row down almost permanently. With 1 kid, you place the car seat in the middle and adults still fit on both sides. With 3 kids, you can place them all side by side and still have the full trunk space for Costco, the beach, or whatever else you need to haul. The major disadvantage is the difficult rear view. Yes, you'll get used to it; but it really does block out the middle of your rear view.

Why 1 & 3 kids, and not 2? Because chances are if you have 2, you're going to put them in the outer most seats. It will be unlikely for you to put the 2 seats side by side. If you do, then you purposely went out of your way to find narrow car seats that fit 3 across so your kids can fight/annoy each other.

Once you take up the outer seats, it is a royal pain for an adult to squeeze into the middle, keep in mind you have the FWD hinges in the middle to deal with.

2. Which brings us to the same problem in a 6 seat configuration. Could you theoretically have an adult go down the middle "aisle" like a minivan? Yes..you could. But it's a pain. It's more likely they squeeze in the size just like they would on a 7 seat configuration. Once back there, an adult fits the same (we've fit 5'10" adults in both 6 & 7 for hour long trips) The leg room is really about the same. The perception of the 6 seat is that it's bigger though because adults have the ability to see through the car instead of just glossy or matte seat backs.

The advantage of the 6 seat is that it allows extra floor storage, and the ability to buy things like electric conduits, extra long pool noodles, and like shaped items. In my opinion, it's perfect if you are carrying around 2 kids and the occasional adult.

If you have 3 kids, I think you're still better off with the 7 seat, especially if you carry around adults occasionally, or the 5 seat if you don't carry any additional adults. Otherwise, while you may not have a favorite kid; you definitely have a least favorite. This also eats into your trunk/cargo carrying ability. The one exception is if you have 2 babies and an older kid. You may have a need to sit back there to tend to the babies, in which case you'd be sitting with the 3rd child; and have easy access to tend to the two babies.

3. The 5 seat configuration is best for no children, 1 child, or multiple children w/o a need to carry additional adults. It allows you to maximize utility in the best ways. It should also be lighter weight, and simpler as there's less parts to break down the road. Unfortunately if you're carrying multiple kids with additional adults, this just isn't an option.

It's a long post, but hopefully it helps you out. For your described situation, I think you'll be fine with 6 or 7. Of course if you have any specific questions, feel free to post or message me.

Thanks Yinn, this is really insightful! So did you buy the 7-seat option and end up changing it or trading in your MX for a 6-seat option?

It's too bad they don't offer a 7 seater that has the ability to remove the middle seat in the middle row to turn it into a 6 seater. That would be the best of all worlds.

As it is, I have the 6 seater with 3 kids(all under age if 5). It works ok, but I wonder if we'd have been bettter off going with 3 across the middle row in the 7 seater.

Reactions: tangerine
Thanks Yinn, this is really insightful! So did you buy the 7-seat option and end up changing it or trading in your MX for a 6-seat option?

Yes, started with a 7. Originally I went to trade the 7 for a 5, as I found I carried things much more than I carried extra people.

But...life changes! I considered keeping the 7, and would've been perfectly fine with it, but we were looking for an AP2 as well and decided to try the 6 hoping the center will give more options.

With 3 kids, I prefer the 7 even with the blocked view. The 5 might've worked, but there was no way I was pulling 3 car seats out just to haul something.

Reactions: tangerine
Search for "Like Tesla" on YouTube. They have two young kids with a 6-seater, so you can see them dealing with car seats, how the handle the seating. It will give you that perspective.

Also, here's a thread (very long) where there was a lot of discussion of the 6- versus the 7-seater:

Our surprising (to us) decision to go with 6 seats instead of 7...

Thanks! I love that channel. In fact, I have to credit Like Tesla partially for why I wanted to get a Model X.

Simple decision is to determine if you really need 7 seats, then get that.

If you can get away with 6 people you will get much more open space and easier access to the rear seats.

If you need to carry a lot of stuff, or have large dogs, the 5 seater will do the trick.

Problem is when you want it all...

IMHO, 7 seater is the best for large family (2 kids and over). As previously mentioned, I keep 3rd row permanently folded down giving me lots of trunk space. I could not care less about floor storage or trying to squeeze in between 2 second row seats.

I could not care less about floor storage or trying to squeeze in between 2 second row seats.
The one-touch 3rd row works on the 6-seater as well. You don't HAVE to go between, but it sure is a fast way for kids to get in and out.

So it seems like these are three solid reasons for a 7, for sure:

- If you need 7 seats, it's an easy choice.
- If you want to have 3 across the middle, 7 provides that. Good for the "sit between two car-seats" moments.
- If you want to keep the 3rd row down and have it only for times you NEED more seating, thus better trunk space.

For me, I didn't need 7 seats. My kids cannot sit three across without bickering and making me distracted. I personally found the 3rd row in the 7 seater to be claustrophobic, and the visibility bothered me. My passengers so far in the third row like the extra legroom from the lack of a 2nd row middle seat. Oh! And extra floor space for crap during road trips. (All that said, I do miss a conventional SUV trunk at times, but I drive my kids more than I need to haul stuff. So for me, it's low on the list.)

Old man complaint alert: It's so weird to see people say what is best for other people's families. I mean, I don't know if I have a large family, but the 6 seater is perfect. But that's because of facts about my family, and all I can do is say why it works for us and why the others didn't.

Opinions are easy - recommendations are difficult, because the latter would require matching out opinion with the requirements and opinions of the recipient.

Not easy, even with the best of intentions.

Thanks all for a lot of insight in the thread.

Yeah I was more looking for insight than recommendations from starting this thread. I wanted to see how different people and families in particular were using their 6-seater and 7-seater so I can better picture how I would use mine in the future.