Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 things James May hates about his Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Seven things I hate about James May trolling for YouTube cash“ video arriving soon. Please watch and help my grandkids‘ college funds.

In fairness, he spent his own cash and bought a Tesla for himself. This isn't a random loaner review.

Adding in he has likely more seat time than most automotive publicists in the world, across multiple countries, road surfaces, and tracks. I think his viewpoints are far more appreciated than the onslaught of the random vloggers that have flooded YouTube. Personally, I'll defend him... he's a good dude.

As for helping fund anything, with a net worth over likely over £25M I think he's good.

Wow.. he really reached to have "problems" to make a list of "hated" items on the Model S. More than half of them were operator error and/or complete made up. What's he talking about "double clicking" they key to start it again after he gets out? I've never had to do that. Just feels like typical click bait and doesn't point to any of the actual problems the cars have.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Comedy aside he is correct on a couple points. The door handles are dodgy and do not self present 100% of the time. If someone tells you theirs works flawlessly every single time - they're lying.

He's also right on the hatch being loud. The beep is too loud but also the latch mechanism when you pop it open, also too loud.

The car powering off the instant you lift your butt from the drivers seat, is also annoying for the exact reason he described.

Comedy aside he is correct on a couple points. The door handles are dodgy and do not self present 100% of the time. If someone tells you theirs works flawlessly every single time - they're lying.

He's also right on the hatch being loud. The beep is too loud but also the latch mechanism when you pop it open, also too loud.

The car powering off the instant you lift your butt from the drivers seat, is also annoying for the exact reason he described.

Agreed. I’m not sure why this video is controversial or misunderstood. It’s fully on brand and obviously meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek. He did, after all, close by saying there are 2,438 things he DOES like.

The door handles ARE dodgy. The trunk beep sounds like an embarrassingly loud and cheap child’s toy. My solution to the gate/mailbox problem is to not close the door, but I get a lot less rain than London. The “Model S” and battery badging on my car didn’t last 2 days past delivery and the car looks better for it.

Personally, I'll defend him... he's a good dude.

There is indeed something nice and sympathic about him... but then again... you may want to remember he was part of that "review" of the roadster and he did have some bold statement:

Where Tesla stands now proved them wrong, but they (Top Gear, BBC management defending them and indeed the ruling against Tesla) certainly were more "part of the problem, and not part of the solution".

That being said, we all make mistakes, but "thanks" to youtube, it also means those mistakes have a tougher time being forgotten about.

I also can't help but to watch some of his Tesla related review, and in the end so to speak: he bought indeed a 100D, and enjoys it, and that video was much more tong in cheer than anything else. So guess he is converted now.