Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 vs 7 seats, 2nd row movement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh. My September 2017 7 passenger doesn't seem electronically assisted at all (in the second row). I wonder if this was always the case or if they improved it, as late 2017 was about the first 3 seater second row.....

Edit: Read that blog, and that says what I have, nothing 'electronic' about the second row at all. It's all mechanical (except for the doors, of course). I have no idea what a couple of people are talking about.....

Hi Boatavera,

I disagree with the blog that says there is nothing electronic about the second row.
It says it was updated in May, it does not specify in which year it was updated.
The "easy entry" button is an electric switch which activates a solenoid that releases the lock holding the seats upright.
Maybe this concurs with nothing electronic in the MOVEMENT of the seats, but this button/solenoid certainly is electric at least
if not electronic.
The owners manual refers to an "Easy Entry" mode which works for driver and the second row.
You must create an "Easy Entry" profile for this function to work...
Why would this be necessary for mechanical only seats...?
See the attached picture of the "Easy Entry" Button.

March 2018 X-100D build Vin: 089XXX

Easy Entry Button.jpg

Shawn

I parked the X on a level surface and when I pressed the easy access button, the seat back titled forward forcefully but the seat did not slide forward as in my video. I think the incline of my driveway combined with the forceful tilt does cause the seat to also move forward when on my driveway.

There are definitely electronic latches in the seat, you can hear the electronic noises when you push the easy access button and there is a delay. Also when you push the seat back into position, there is a delay and you have to wait a split second before the latch latch catches and you are allowed to tilt the seat back up.

Maybe there have been revisions in the foldflat seats to change them in minor ways.

I’m surprised about the comments saying the 7 seater is less roomy in back compared to the 6. The third row of the 6 is already extremely uncomfortable for an adult, and it seemed that if they’d just allowed row 2 seats to move even farther forward, it’d help a lot. I can’t imagine what the 7 must feel like in the back row!

We currently own a Model 3 and are thinking about upgrading to the X to have more space. We're having a hard time deciding between 6 or 7 seat. We've seen the 6 seater many times, but have never seen the 7 seater in the 4 different show rooms we've been to. So we have some questions on the movement of the 2nd row seats that I hope someone can answer. For context, we have 2 kids in Diono car seats.

For the 7 seater, I know there's an entry button on the seatback that you can press to get into the 3rd row. I've read mixed things on whether this 2nd row is fully manual or semi-electrically assisted. From what I've gathered, the side handle bar to tilt is manual, and the bar at the front, under the seat is also manual to move forward and backwards. But how does the hidden entry button actually work? Is this something a 4 year old can do, or does an adult need to help them get into the 3rd row?

I know the 6 seater is best for ease of access and legroom in the 3rd row. We're leaning more towards 6 seater right now, but would actually have use for all 7 seats maybe once a month as it saves us from driving 2 cars with family. So looking to hear some thoughts on seat movement/access between the two. Thanks!

We were in the EXACT same situation as you just this past summer.

We had seen the 6-seater Model X, and we loved it. We figured the 7-seater Model X would be even better because it had one more seat, more cargo space, and less automated technology to worry about breaking down later on. It all sounded good in theory.

Two or three weeks after placing our order for the 7-seater we tracked down a Tesla store that had just opened up, and it actually had a 7-seater Model X on display. The whole family, and the in-laws, headed to the store to check it out. That day changed our lives.

We got in the back row of that 7-seater and experienced something that cannot be described in measurements or specifications: namely, just how claustrophobic that back seat is. Our little son thought it was kind of neat, but the rest of us thought that back seat was a nightmare. The middle row "wall of seats" (as they are known) goes up so high that people in the back row feel like they are being locked in a trunk. The back row is completely cut off from the rest of the car. Beyond that, the feeling of claustrophobia in that back seat is so profound, we wouldn't wish it on our worst enemy.

I emailed our sales rep immediately. It was too late to reconfigure our existing order, so I cancelled our order for the 7-seater and ordered the 6-seater. Tesla was kind enough to transfer our initial deposit from the 7-seater to the 6-seater.

We had to pay a lot more for the 6-seater, and we ended up being forced to buy the premium upgrade package (which had become a standard feature at that point), and we even lost free lifetime data - all in the time between our first order and our second order. But you know what... it was worth it. We got the 6-seater and we love it. It's like driving around in a private jet, and every single seat in the car is a good one.

I should point out that the 7-seater really compromises every single seat in the car. The back row is a claustrophobic nightmare, the middle row would be squishy if it had three people in it, and the view from the front row is obstructed when looking towards the back "wall of seats." A person isn't even be aware of all the room behind the middle row bench once that "wall of seats" is in place.

Admittedly, the 6-seater is much more expensive, it has one less seat, and it doesn't have the cargo capacity of the 7-seater with the fold-down middle-row. However, in the 6-seater every single seat is a good one. The entire car - even up front - benefits from a bright, open feeling. The back row is great for kids, and it's quite fine for average-sized adults.

So the questions to ask become:

i) How much do you really need that seventh seat?
ii) How often would you really need that extra cargo capacity?

Good luck. I know it's a tough decision.

Oh, that is just great... now we are telling our children they were miscalculations...
Might as well tell them the Stork was driving by in his Tesla and threw a bag on the porch...
@TSammy, we aren’t calling them miscalculations, we saying that they were not supposed to have been born, and because of them, we can’t afford the premium interior option on our new Tesla.

This way they understand life is about sacrifice.

• Funny
Reactions: am_dmd
I will echo what most have said when trying to decide between 6 or 7 seater. You just have to try them both and decide for yourself what fits your lifestyle. I recommend the following:

1) Call your local store and ask if they have both a 6 and 7 seat model available at the same time. That is the only true way to see the differences.

2) Rent one on Turo. Go on a road trip, do your regular commute, your regular routine, whatever you will do with it. This is a far superior experience than sitting in the showroom or driving around the block. The best couple hundred bucks you can spend to know you will be happy with your selection.

I have the 100D 2018 7 seater. I definitely felt 6 seater is best if you often seat more than 4 passengers. The captain chairs are very comfortable for longer rides.

We got the 7 seater only for occasional rear seat use. I usually kept the rear seats folded down most of the time for storage, but when we need to carry more than 4/5, we can. I like the 7 seaters folds flat, the cargo space is enormous.

So it really depends on your daily need and usage.

My daily use:
03820A3B-7603-4E15-9A43-91D9C099699F.jpeg

All seats flat:
F496123E-25B3-47BE-9015-AC72246C3A90.jpeg

You might want to have it looked at. I gave more details above, but while the levers appear to be mechanical releases, they're actually computer controlled. We had defective seats that had to be replaced due to issues with the mechanisms. I'm told that they use a new manufacturer and that the issues are resolved.

Thanks for that info. I wish I'd known to ask about that when the X was in the SC last week. :)

Oh, that is just great... now we are telling our children they were miscalculations...
Might as well tell them the Stork was driving by in his Tesla and threw a bag on the porch...
Oh please. It's refreshing when one doesn't have to be so concrete and can inject a little humor. It gave me a laugh for the day and heaven knows we can all use a little laugh now and then. AND saying that, it is great to get an opinion from someone 6 vs 7 seater who can embellish the story with that humor.

I'm in the market. I like the 6 but leaning 7.

With two young kids (infant and car seat aged) I would imagine 6 is hard since an adult can't sit with the infant unless the other is in the third row with a car seat?

7 seems clearly better in this scenario... Am I wrong?

I've sat in both the 6 and 7 seater, and unless you are going to constantly use the rear seats for children or need the flat middle row for storage, go with the six.

I have the six seater, and the biggest improvement is how easy it is to get in and out of the rear row. It's also more spacious since you can stretch into the middle row. The only con is the middle row doesn't fold flat, but I don't haul enough stuff for that to ever be a problem.

Keep in mind if you go with the 7, then the middle bench is only manually adjustable instead of electric like on the 6. This for me was a major deal-breaker.

I’m convinced 6 seat is better ... after traveling with grandmas ... child seats in 3rd row were tricky but doable in the 7 seaters, but we had to do that because grandmas had a tough time climbing in and out of 7 seater... with a 6 seater the ability to open one side of falcon wing door and reach 4 potential seats without moving the 2nd row is incredibly valuable... that little gap is useful for moving between 3rd and 2nd row without exiting the vehicle.... I just wish 6 seater had a clever arm rest that folds down in second row

Reactions: Jetwash08
One of my biggest issues with the 6-seat is the cargo capacity of longer and wider objects. Embarrassingly, my 6 seat MX could not fit a TV, but it fit in a BMW 3 series. If you haul larger objects regularly, go for the 5 or 7 seat.

I'm in the market. I like the 6 but leaning 7.

With two young kids (infant and car seat aged) I would imagine 6 is hard since an adult can't sit with the infant unless the other is in the third row with a car seat?

7 seems clearly better in this scenario... Am I wrong?

Depends on if you need the 3rd row folded flat. If you do, then the 7-seat is best, but sitting in the middle of two car seats is probably not very comfortable. Like you stated, in the 6-seat you can keep one 3rd row seat up for the adult which works well.

Reactions: hh83917
Yeah, have to decide base on usage, I’ve sum it up to:

5 seat: fold flat cargo space, sleep in car, 2 to constantly 4 people, occasionally people

6-seat: comfort focused for 2 to constantly more than 4 people (most expensive option)

7-seat: fold flat cargo space, sleep in car, constantly 3 to 5 people, occasionally more than 6 people (cheaper option that can fit most people and transforms to max cargo space)

If you need to carry 7 people constantly, I would suggest a bigger car. 3rd row on 7 seat should only fit children.

I have the 100D 2018 7 seater. I definitely felt 6 seater is best if you often seat more than 4 passengers. The captain chairs are very comfortable for longer rides.

We got the 7 seater only for occasional rear seat use. I usually kept the rear seats folded down most of the time for storage, but when we need to carry more than 4/5, we can. I like the 7 seaters folds flat, the cargo space is enormous.

So it really depends on your daily need and usage.

My daily use:
View attachment 417804

All seats flat:
View attachment 417805

Just seeing your photos brings back the buyer's remorse of our 6 seater has created. Too many times have I wished we had the ability to fold everything flat. The fact that I would be able to sleep laying down at a Supercharger for a quick 30 minute nap on a 15 hour drive just sounds amazing!

We have the 7 seater (new just a week ago). I envy the people who can get into and out of their third row by just clambering through the middle, and also the ability to have powered moving seats. But I wanted to be able to bring two of the kids' grandparents with us some of the time, and the fold-flat seemed like a smart choice (though our other car is an F150, so we'd most likely haul anything really big in that)

I have sat between the two car seats in the middle row and I think as long as at least one of them is a backless booster, it's fine. If you have two full-backed car seats, it's probably not comfortable for any length of time. But otherwise, I'm 6'1" and I fit fine in the middle as far as height and leg room

The way the middle seats are so manual and clumsy to fold and push forward really feels out of place with the rest of the high-tech car, but our 8 year old is able to get into the back herself, so I guess it's fine.

The back seat is very tight. Because she's in a booster, her feet can't go under the seat in front of her, and that makes it very tight on her feet between the two seats. I admit to not having sat in the way back yet.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Reactions: jelly