TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

6 wheels bent now.. anyone else?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by tritonx, Jul 15, 2014.

1. tritonx

tritonx Member

Have had the tesla for 16 months and in that span, we've had 6 bent wheels (right rear, right rear, then all 4 at once). We own 4 other cars and none of them have had bent wheels in the 7 years we've lived here. Anyone else experiencing bent wheels at all? we have the turbine silver 21" wheels.

2. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I'm not a Model S owner, but the 35 profile tires on the 21" rims don't offer much defense against road hazards. If the 21" wheels are giving you problems, is it possible to switch to the 19" ones? The taller sidewalls should be much more forgiving.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

53,000 miles on two MS, no bent rims.
    However, both have the 19" tires.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#4 Lloyd, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    40,000 EV miles and no bent rims, and I have 21's ! S witch to 19's quick!!

That said, I realize the vulnerability and have a set of 19s for long trips where I don't know the roads as well.

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Nope.

6. UMD86

UMD86 Member

I was in the same boat as you but luckily I had the tire insurance. I had 2 blowouts at the same time at 1AM on I-80 (LF & LR). Had to replace both tires and 1 Rim. Since then I've had 2 more flats and a bent rim. I know the insurance company hated me but I bit the bullet and switched to the 19's.

I have 4 good tires (< 5,000 miles) and 2 Mint Rims and 2 with some Rash if you want them. Send me a private msg.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

51k miles on 19" wheels (48k on original goodyears) never had a bent rim or blowout. Your on 21s. That's a very common problem for those 21s because there's such little sidewall you're basically practically driving on the wheel itself. If you hit even a small pothole that rim is bending for sure and tire likely getting flat too. Many many many owners after multiple bent rims and blowouts have switched to 19s. I highly recommend you do the same. Those 21s are for show only and are completely impractical for real world driving unless your pockets $$ are really deep.

8. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Nothing noted here in 15,000 miles .... 21's

9. flybob08

flybob08 Member

20,000 miles no bends or dings - but have 19s - but they have plenty of grip for me

10. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

15k miles in 16 months with 21s. No damage. I work in RWC, so similar area to the OP. Are your tires kept at 45 lbs or whatever the recommended pressure is? Under-inflated tires will provide less protection.

11. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

15 months/16K miles P85+ with 21s...no problems and I have driven over some potholes that I though might cause me an issue..but no.

12. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

10K miles on 21s with 1 flat and 1 tire worn to cords. Also 2 bent rims-both on the inside of the wheel. Time to jump ship to 19s.

13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

On a sports car with low profile tires, hit a pothole coming off an expressway at slow speed, circa 10 miles an hour, bent rim, ruined tire!! That is the reason i specified 19's for my Tesla!!

14. flodrab

flodrab Member

I purposely did not get the Performance Plus package solely because I didn't want the 21" wheels ... most of my driving is in L.A., potholes are everywhere, and I didn't want such low profile tires ... but 19's look a little small to me, so I got a set of 20's ... I think that's the sweet spot, not too big and not too small ... 255/40-20 in front, and 285/35-20 in back

wheel.JPG

side.JPG

15. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Like the wheels!

16. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Like the black.

17. tritonx

tritonx Member

nice wheels flodrab! i think i do need to change to 19's. I do live in RWC but up in the hills and perhaps that has something to do with it, constantly changing grades where wheels will be on different planes such as our driveway vs the road. too bad performance plus wasn't an option in '13 ordering book! Thanks for comments everyone.

18. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

21k miles. 2 cracked wheels. Both times I thought I just ran over a nail or something due to the slow leak. Took it in to have it looked at and they found the cracks in the wheel. Luckily I purchased the road hazard protection so they were replaced free of charge. The tires were still fine. We have a lot of potholes here on Oahu and I can mostly avoid them, but sometimes new ones pop up and BAM!

19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

While 35 aspect ratio tires don't provide a lot of protection, I'd be interested to know how many of you who have had damaged wheels check your tire pressures regularly (minimum weekly) and never ever,ever let them go below the vehicle placard pressure. That pressure should really be considered a minimum (not a maximum) for road use.

Bear in mind that if the highs of the day reach 38 (100 F), you need to add 4 psi just to compensate.

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

No problems here. I use the stock Tesla 19" rims with Nokian Hakka R2s in the winter and Rial Lugano 19" rims with the stock Goodyear tires in summer. A bit over 30,000 miles.