Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 > 75 Upgrade now $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet Elon is at a party and just said to someone "hey watch me make $10M in one hour".

Just pulled the trigger.

Upgraded to 75D now.

Attachments

• ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg
    ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 63
Awake in bed at 4am debating whether to spend $2000.

You are nuts if you don't do it (IMO). The extra range may or may not come in handy some day (tho I'm willing to bet it will), but the resale value of your car will be MUCH higher. Now, if you ONLY do local driving and plan to NEVER sell your car, then I guess there's no reason to spend $2k. But, I'd say there's about a 95% chance that one day you will want/need the extra range, and about the same chance of a good reason to sell the car will come along. And you never know if/when Tesla will move the prices back to the original numbers. You will be kicking yourself then.

The resale value actually might not be as good because Tesla does not upgrade the title of your car which would still say 60

Most people (especially those smart enough to buy a Tesla in the first place) have enough common sense to check the current range of the car. That, along with the owner showing proof of the upgrade, will obviously make most people pay more for the car than a 60. Same if the owner was trading in to Tesla (Tesla would give them more).

Now, if you're trading it in to the BMW dealership, then no, it probably won't matter. But, who in their right mind would be doing THAT?!?! ;)

The resale value actually might not be as good because Tesla does not upgrade the title of your car which would still say 60
Actually my My Tesla page already shows my car as a 75D, and the service centre will be changing the number on the back.
I'm sure the new buyer could care less what the original paperwork said.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssrajputev
I check my Model X 60D and it is showing $6,500 to upgrade to the 75. Is this just for Model S for the $2,000?
Yes, it seems to be the case from the similar threads in the Model X forum. It actually makes sense because the lower efficiency of the X compared to the S makes the incentive to want the larger battery much greater, thus Tesla probably already had a much larger number of people upgrading at the higher price compared to those with the S, so they didn't drop it as much.

In my case, I've had no real reason to upgrade (70 to 75) and expected that I never would given the absurd original price Tesla wanted, but then they dropped it to something very reasonable and I bit, even though I've never really needed the extra range. I mainly did it because there is no way to get the car to charge balance the batteries if you can't reach the top end; not that that's critical but I expect average performance (capacity) is a little worse if you never balance them.