Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 amp circuit breaker with 14-50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The official code only allows 50 Amp on a 14-50. It would probably be fine to use 60 Amp breaker, the UMC that plugs into the 14-50 will not draw more than 40 Amp, so there is no advantage nor harm in having a 60 Amp breaker. But the purpose of a breaker to protect from too much power being drawn on a circuit should something go wrong or people overload the outlet. Using a 60 breaker instead of a 50 just gives you less protection. Since a 50 Amp breaker is relatively cheap I'd put one in instead of using the 60.

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
The official code only allows 50 Amp on a 14-50. It would probably be fine to use 60 Amp breaker, the UMC that plugs into the 14-50 will not draw more than 40 Amp, so there is no advantage nor harm in having a 60 Amp breaker. But the purpose of a breaker to protect from too much power being drawn on a circuit should something go wrong or people overload the outlet. Using a 60 breaker instead of a 50 just gives you less protection. Since a 50 Amp breaker is relatively cheap I'd put one in instead of using the 60.
I wanted to run the line and have both the Nema 14-50 and the Tesla connector on the line, and only chose one of the 2 at any time for charging. I am not sure if my wife is getting a different electric car in the future, so I wanted to have that option down the road (taking turns with the charging). Is it really that dangerous? Then it's not worth it.

I wanted to run the line and have both the Nema 14-50 and the Tesla connector on the line, and only chose one of the 2 at any time for charging. I am not sure if my wife is getting a different electric car in the future, so I wanted to have that option down the road (taking turns with the charging). Is it really that dangerous? Then it's not worth it.
The outlet is rated for 50a. If something goes wrong in the WC and pulls > 50a the outlet is not safe. The breaker wouldn’t trip until 60a. If something bad happens, fingers would be pointed at you.

You can get a Tesla to J1772 adaptor or get the WC modified to have a J1772 cable. Neither officially Tesla supported.

Or run a second wire on a second breaker.

You might get away with it under the “I promise not to use” clause, but it really isn’t recommended.

Last edited:
The outlet is rated for 50a. If something goes wrong in the outlet, the breaker wouldn’t trip until 60a.

You can get a Tesla to J1772 adaptor or get the WC modified to have a J1772 cable. Nither officially Tesla supported.

Or run a second wire on a second breaker.

You might get away with it under the “I promise not to use” clause, but it really isn’t recommended.
What would happen if I used a 50 amp breaker and connected the Tesla connector? would it throttle my speed?

I was told to get a stranded 4 wire # 6 cable. The line is being run later today...?

You only need 3 wire (6-2) (Hot Hot Ground) for the Wall Connector or a 6-50 outlet.

Also if your running Romex (i.e. not in conduit) 6 AWG is only good to 55 Amps.

This is assumes copper.

14-50 outlet would be correct for 6 AWG romex with a 50 amp breaker.

Putting 60 Amp breaker on 14-50 is illegal (against code) and no reputable electrician would do it (because of liability), even if temporary. Sh$t happens and things don’t get followed through. Nobody plans when faults/accidents happen.

The cord and adapter on the UMC are only spec’d to 50 Amps. If that were to short the cable could burn up instead of the breaker tripping. Anything plugged into a 14-50 is spec’d for 50 Amps not 60.

Breakers are cheap. Put the right one in, even if temporary.

What would happen if I used a 50 amp breaker and connected the Tesla connector? would it throttle my speed?

The 14-50 adapter would pull the correct amps. That isn’t the issue. The 50 Amp breaker doesn’t tell the car anything. It’s just the proper match to the 14-50 outlet. And the 14-50 outlet itself dictates what can be pulled from it.

Just because the car will pull the correct amps doesn’t cover all the faults that can happen if the outlet doesn’t match the breaker.

If the outlet matches the breaker (and wiring handles that breaker load). It’s hard to screw it up beyond that unless you go out of your way to do so.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what you are asking here. Wall connector or mobile connector?

A Wall Connector gets set to the breaker/safe wiring size by a rotary dial. There is no way for the WC to “test” a circuit and decide what power to offer the car. If you directly wire a wall connector into a circuit with a 50a breaker, you set it as such and the car will charge at 40a (Assuming long range car).

If it was set to 60a the car would charge at 48a.

Not sure exactly what you are asking here. Wall connector or mobile connector?

A Wall Connector gets set to the breaker/safe wiring size by a rotary dial. There is no way for the WC to “test” a circuit and decide what power to offer the car. If you directly wire a wall connector into a circuit with a 50a breaker, you set it as such and the car will charge at 40a (Assuming long range car).

If it was set to 60a the car would charge at 48a.
I want to run a line and have both a Nema 14-50 outlet and a hard-wired Tesla Wall Connector to get maximum speeds. I just read you can set the Wall Connector to a lower amp setting (50 instead of 60). I guess my new question is whether it is worth it to keep the Wall Connector I ordered if I'm going to have a lower amp line (50)? I could buy a second Mobile Connector and save the $200 and leave it hung in my garage. What is the charging difference in speed/mph charge between the Tesla Wall Connector (50 amp line) and a Mobile Connector (50 amp Nema)? Is there any other benefit of the Wall Connector that I'm missing?

Thank you for all the replies. I have the electrician coming today.

I think you misunderstood the above advice. It IS WORTH IT. Please let the electrician know that as soon as you get your Tesla Wall Connector you will swap out the 50a breaker for a 60a and then connect the TWC. Therefore he needs to use wire that will be acceptable for a 60a circuit.

If it were me and my Circuit Breaker Box has enough excess capacity I would have them "Future Proof" the install by using wiring that would support a 100a circuit breaker. This way if your next EV allows higher charging speed you could just change out the 50a breaker for a 100a breaker. The extra cost of the wiring now is small (assuming the distance is small) compared to "Rewiring" at a future date.

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
If planning for the future and a possible second EV then just plan for a second Tesla wall connector, 2 can go one one circuit and communicate with each other. Don't have to buy the second one now but you can put up to 4 on one circuit and if set up right they share the available circuit with each being able to take full current or less depending on needs.

If that is the plan I advocate going bigger on the circuit. Give two wall connectors a 100amp feed and each can charge at 40amps(80%rule). Even if you just upsize wire now and swap the breaker later if you add a second connector.

I type slow and am assisting with 4th grade math so I was beaten to the sensible reply.

Depending on your use model, you do not need to keep a mobile connector in your car. I keep the J1772 adapter in the car. I only use the Mobile Connector when I'm visiting family. Otherwise, it's charge at home, supercharge, or use a public charger w/ the adaptor. Mostly just at home.

I did eventually get the WC because my power company was willing to rebate 1/2 the cost. How could I say no :)

I think you are smart by planning ahead for a WC and the biggest reasonable wiring possible. How big of a main electric panel do you have?

At minimum, size the wire for 60A circuit as you are planning to do. You can put a 50a breaker and an outlet on it for now. As others have mentioned, the breaker is cheap and easy to change. The wire is not.

If it is significantly less expensive, you can wire a 6-50 (again, size the wire for 60A) instead of the 14-50 and buy the mobile connector from Tesla. It will depend on your run length, but a 6-50 (and a Wall Connector) only need Hot-Hot-Ground. The 14-50 adds an extra wire. But, the 14-50 is more "useful" for other purposes (RV) that I'd pay a bit extra to go 14-50 instead of 6-50.

If I am not mistaken, for LR M3, charging cables that come with car are only good for 32 amps, so even if you have 50 amp breaker allowing 40 amp charging, you would need to purchase "corded mobile connector" from Tesla at $520 to get the 40 amp charge rate. With cables that come with the car, you will only be able to charge up to 32 amps.

Reactions: hacer
Depending on your use model, you do not need to keep a mobile connector in your car. I keep the J1772 adapter in the car. I only use the Mobile Connector when I'm visiting family. Otherwise, it's charge at home, supercharge, or use a public charger w/ the adaptor. Mostly just at home.

I did eventually get the WC because my power company was willing to rebate 1/2 the cost. How could I say no :)

I think you are smart by planning ahead for a WC and the biggest reasonable wiring possible. How big of a main electric panel do you have?

At minimum, size the wire for 60A circuit as you are planning to do. You can put a 50a breaker and an outlet on it for now. As others have mentioned, the breaker is cheap and easy to change. The wire is not.

If it is significantly less expensive, you can wire a 6-50 (again, size the wire for 60A) instead of the 14-50 and buy the mobile connector from Tesla. It will depend on your run length, but a 6-50 (and a Wall Connector) only need Hot-Hot-Ground. The 14-50 adds an extra wire. But, the 14-50 is more "useful" for other purposes (RV) that I'd pay a bit extra to go 14-50 instead of 6-50.
I am going about 60 feet from the 200 amp panel to the garage. Can someone share the speed/charge difference between the Nema 15-50 mobile solution (without the $520 adapter) and the Wall Connector on a 60 amp line?

I cant comment on 60 ft question but the "corded mobile connector" is not an adapter so much as it is the cord that would be different from what comes with the M3. I am guessing the cord is thicker. What comes with the M3 gets warm with 32 amps during charging.