Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 Amp circuit HPWC gen 3 only charging at 32Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, let me disclaim that I am not very knowledgeable with electrical stuff.

I bought a Gen3 HPWC for my garage from a forum member. I hired a licensed electrician to install it. My main panel (200amp service) is about 40 feet from my garage, so he ran it using a 6awg cable and a 60Amp breaker. It works and charges, however, on both my 2016 Model S and 2019 Model X, the most amperage it's charging at is 32amps. At least that's what it's displaying on the screen. My electrician says he is certain that he's providing 60amp all the way to the HPWC.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Thanks in advance!

First, let me disclaim that I am not very knowledgeable with electrical stuff.

I bought a Gen3 HPWC for my garage from a forum member. I hired a licensed electrician to install it. My main panel (200amp service) is about 40 feet from my garage, so he ran it using a 6awg cable and a 60Amp breaker. It works and charges, however, on both my 2016 Model S and 2019 Model X, the most amperage it's charging at is 32amps. At least that's what it's displaying on the screen. My electrician says he is certain that he's providing 60amp all the way to the HPWC.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Thanks in advance!
Tell your electrician to RTFM.

There is a part about commissioning it where it instructs you how to increase the maximum amps. In fact you could probably do it yourself with your phone.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
While charging, is the dash reporting 32/32 or 32/48 on the amps?

The first indicates that the Wall Connector isn't configured for the correct wire/breaker size like the others had replied.

The second indicates that the Wall Connector is configured correctly (it's offering 48 amps), but the car has limited the amperage for some reason. It could be your max amperage is configured incorrectly on the charging screen. It could be that your car detected a voltage drop and backed off on the amperage to protect the wiring. It could be an issue with the on-board charger. I don't know if it's the same on the S and X, but there were reports of Model 3 that had peak charging drop from 48 amps to 32 amps and that required a replacement on-board charger. This happened to my 2018 Model 3 about 1 year into ownership.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and mociaf9
he ran it using a 6awg cable and a 60Amp breaker.
And I'm going to be the guy, because we see this done wrong really frequently by electricians:

Is this individual 6 gauge wires in conduit, or is it the bundled cable with multiple wires wrapped together in an outer plastic sheath? That is known as NM-B, or Romex. 6 gauge wires in conduit would be fine for a 60A circuit, but 6 gauge Romex wouldn't.

Reactions: kayak1