TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

60 and 70D owners, how is acceleration in mountains and above 65mph?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by brucet999, Jul 16, 2015.

1. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I'm considering 70D since I superchargers are pretty close together on most major roads in CA, but I wonder about acceleration to pass at 60+ mph and especially on mountain roads like Donner Pass, Sherwin and Conway passes on US 395, Spooner Summit and Kingsbury grade where gradient can run upwards of 6%.

Thanks

2. seanmccutchan

seanmccutchan Member

Any passengers I've had simply can't believe the acceleration. Passing is unbelievable, almost stupidly fast, compared to ICE's. I'm an MS60 owner with 45,000 miles, and I would buy the 70D over the 85D even if money was no object due to a number of factors, including efficiency. Coming from a 530xi (a 255 horse 6 sp manual) there is just no comparison. At 60 mph, most automatics take nearly 3 seconds to respond to full acceleration. By that time the MS60 has leaped from 60 to 75mph and you have to start watching out for the fuzz. Effortlessly squirting around ICE's never gets old. Keep in mind the advertised 0-60mph time was very conservative. Even the MS60 is bloody fast at around 5.2 seconds. I've driven all flavors of loaners, and taken a 70D/P85D back to back test drive with the black tour. I recommend getting in an ICE once in awhile to reset yourself on how awesome even a 70D feels.

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

0-30 acceleration is insane compared to an ICE (obviously not compared to the 85D/P85D). 65+mph acceleration is good enough, though I've never taken the 70D over 90mph (you know, reduced range and risk of tickets...).

4. steph280

steph280 Member

Go see Jay at Fashion Island Tesla show room, and take a test drive. There are plenty of hills around Newport where he can take you to experience the acceleration on hilly situations.

5. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

65+ acceleration is quite weak on 70D, but sufficient for regular road use. If you need to frequently feel good acceleration between 65-90, I would recommend 85D or above.

6. CA_Fabien

CA_Fabien Member

70D acceleration above 60mph seems weaker than the 85 but it is more than enough for public road driving even on the worst mountain road.

7. ahurst

ahurst Member

This has my worried and why I'll probably go with 85D

8. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Test drive both. I find the acceleration of the 70D far above average. To be fair, I am not driving around on mountains.
    I have driven an 85kWh across the Rockies and back and it handled the mountain passes very well.
    The 70D handles better than the 85. I don't know if that translates to mountain passes.

9. ahurst

ahurst Member

A lot of people in Colorado drive turbo's due to the elevation. Since that doesn't affect the Tesla, I'll have to drive the 70D and 85D and see if the torque is sufficient to get up to the continental divide

10. Armadillos

Armadillos Member

Both the 70D and the 85D have zero issues getting over the divide.

11. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

From 65+mph - maybe the 73 toll road, but I don't know where else.

- - - Updated - - -

You could actually feel the better handling of D vs RWD? What were your observations?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, you would have lots of 6% grades to try them out on.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll bet they do. I noticed during a recent drive on US 395 up to the top of 8100 foot Conway Summit, with cruise control on my Lexus RX350 set to 70 mph, that the car was hunting between two gears to try to maintain speed. I thought that with the smooth torque of a Model S that annoying jerkiness would not occur. There was also a much more noticeable acceleration lag with that naturally aspirated engine going uphill at high altitude than at sea level.

12. vchadha

vchadha Member

There are lots of people measuring 0-60 online but nothing for 60+ accelerations. Does anyone have the right testing equiptment to do so?

13. bxr140

bxr140 Member

Even the 60 has above average acceleration at sea level freeway speeds. Compared to an ice at elevation there is no cause for concern, whatever model S you're considering.

14. richrootes

richrootes Member

My 60 never has a problem getting past anything - even up very steep inclines.

Dont forget that if you do take a test drive, it's believed that those showroom cars are limited in power and top speed. Ideally, find an owner and ask for a ride/drive....

15. seanmccutchan

seanmccutchan Member

If you hop right into the 70D after a p85d, yes huge diff. However, that's not a "need" issue. I used to have a Saturn Sky turbo (5.5s car), and the MS 60 feels light years faster. You can get a good idea how fast 50-80 will be from the Tesla Model S 60 kWh vs Tesla Model S 85 kWh Performance | DragTimes.com Drag Racing, Fast Cars, Muscle Cars Blog comparison. You'll notice the 60 lags by only 10mph (102 versus 112) against the P85 in the 1/4 mile. The 60 is faster than the twin turbo 535xi in the quarter by a couple tenths. Not to mention you don't have to wait for any turbo lag and downshifting when passing.

- - - Updated - - -

Even more directly, the 535xi takes 3.8s to go from 50-70, versus 3.1 for the 70D. The BMW is already a very competent autobahn bred passer. http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-tesla-model-s-70d-instrumented-test-review

For reference here is same mag reviewing the 535xi and other luxury sedans. Notice all are slower than the 70D from 50-70.
    http://m.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-cadillac-cts-36-vs-audi-a6-bmw-535i-mercedes-e350-comparison-test-review-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-6

16. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Thanks for the links. Those 50 - 70 acceleration tests are exactly what I needed to see, and as Colorado posters have pointed out above, at high altitude the 70 would out-perform those ICE vehicles even more decisively.

17. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I think they are only limited by top speed, no power. You should still get full acceleration until 80mph.