TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

60 days from reservation to delivery

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by rochec, Apr 5, 2013.

1. rochec

rochec Member

#1 rochec, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Has anyone actually seen anywhere close to 60 days for delivery from reservation? Tesla is saying that should be more than realistic, but my lease is up in just about 60 days, so I want to make sure I'm not caught with my pants down!

Can't wait!

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yes, a few folks who reserved and finalized in January got the car in late March. The caveat may be that those were fully-loaded Perf 85s; anything less and all bets are off.

3. rochec

rochec Member

Ya, I got a fully loaded 85...so Tesla says it should be quick. I just heard they are shutting down for a week though, so that could push things out a bit.

4. Brian0

Brian0 Member

We finalized our paperwork for a standard 85kwh on 1/13, and took delivery 3/9.

5. rochec

rochec Member

But when did you reserve?

6. dbfish

dbfish Member

I can't find it, but someone ordered a P85 in mid Feb and got it in mid March, in just under 30 days. I assume fully loaded config. If I find that thread, I'll link to it!

7. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Dec 20

Car ready Mar 9

8. Frankrb

Frankrb Member

finalized a std 85, (pano, air susp, tech pkg, leather) on 1/24 and took delivery at home on 3/6!!! No significant warranty issues, but still waiting for parcel shelf/cover, upgraded vanity visors, and pano sunscreen kit. Car is performing incredibly!

9. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

I think the OP means 60 days from RESERVATION to delivery.

10. rochec

rochec Member

Ya, thanks...I just edited my post to make it more clear.

11. arthur campbell

My order for a Red Model S with 85 and fully loaded was completed on 1/29/13 with a projected delivery date of April or May. I spoke with a Telsa rep on 4/3 for a update on the delivery. I was told the vehicle was in production but had not been assigned a vin number, they assign the vin number during the later stages of production in case something goes wrong during assembly. I was hoping they would issue the invoice asap and I could remit payment before delivery..cannot do without vin. I live in West Virginia which presently have a state tax credit of $7500 ....which is being considered for elimination ...same as Federal credit. also, my delivery date has not changed, I think the red color has cause a longer wait .

12. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

Without going into details, and understanding that it was our 4th TESLA...

I can say that we had a MUCH sorter turn around time than 60 days...

Keep in mind that this is highly dependent on your configuration!

13. jpasqua

jpasqua P19325

I went from reservation to delivery in about 45 days. I ordered mid February and picked up at the factory on 3/30.

60kWh, Pano, AAS, Twin Chargers, Supercharging, Gray, Gray Leather/Lacewood.

14. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

#14 scaesare, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    Having just reserved this evening, that's good news on the sub-60 day experiences...

-sc

15. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

With the backlog of reservations mostly burned off, and nearly all options in production (I believe the new red will still delay your order), it seems like Tesla is able to hit its 60 day turnaround fairly often now. This situation only really started in March as the backlog was burned off.

To the original poster, you may wish to have a backup plan in case the delivery takes 90 days rather than 60. For instance, if something goes horribly wrong during production and they have to start your car over. Or, more likely, if there's a paperwork problem. Also, you're in Texas, where Tesla currently can't sell cars, you have to do most of your own paperwork, and Tesla has to do drop-shipments rather than personal delivery. (I suppose you could take factory delivery or possibly arrange delivery somewhere else.) At this point, I wouldn't expect a longer turnaround time than that (unless you get the red, which might cause a delay).

If your family has two cars, you may be able to manage with one if there's a short delay.

16. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Or you rent one to cover any gap between lease end and delivery.

17. Brian0

Brian0 Member

Good point, I reserved in Sept of '12.

18. gobagheera

gobagheera Member

I reserved on 2/28 and took home delivery on 3/26. P85 with all options except parcel shelf. I made a point to reply back to Tesla on any communication on the same day or the first thing next day.

19. rochec

rochec Member

Good to hear, thanks.

Really wish they didn't enforce the 2 week wait after placing your deposit...seems like 2 weeks wasted if you know what you want.

20. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

i tried to get around that today - no way to do it. They did say "a tool is coming" allowing the customer to do that-hopefully that is actually true.