Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 kWh at a Supercjharger question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
If I pull up to a supercharger with a 60 kWh battery that hasn't purchased the supercharger capability, what happens?

I assume I can still get a charge, what I have been trying to find is how fast will it charge, I realize it wont be 150 miles in a half hour but realistically what can I expect?

Supercharger capability cant be added to that car at a later date, it has to be built with it, right?

Thanks.

If I pull up to a supercharger with a 60 kWh battery that hasn't purchased the supercharger capability, what happens?

I assume I can still get a charge, what I have been trying to find is how fast will it charge, I realize it wont be 150 miles in a half hour but realistically what can I expect?

Supercharger capability cant be added to that car at a later date, it has to be built with it, right?

Thanks.

My best guess is that it just won't work.

I plan on getting the Supercharger option when I order the 60 KWh, I found a press release dated March 31, 2013 & in it states...

Tesla is also revealing a small Easter egg today: all 60 kWh cars have been and will be built with Supercharger hardware included. Tesla is taking a slight cost risk that ultimately all customers will want to buy the Supercharger upgrade and receive unlimited, free long distance travel for life. Even for those that never drive long distances, this will improve the resale value of their car to people that do.

So even after delivery they can activated it over the air somehow? I still wonder what happens when a non supercharged enabled 60 tries to plug into a Super charger.

It will not work at all. The superchargers bypass the on board inverter and supply DC power directly to the battery. Normal house current is AC. Since the car does not have the software to know what to do with the DC power, I suspect you will get nothing.