Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 kWh car is a bargain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EPA rated range for the 60 kWh car is slightly more than 63/75 of the EPA rated range of the 75 kWh car. This suggests that when you buy a 60, you actually get a 63. For the 70 kWh refresh car (no longer available) the EPA range ratio is just about exactly 70/75.

What makes the refreshed 2016 Model S 60 an incredible bargain is that compared to the original 2012 Model S 60, they lowered the price almost $4000 (it was $69900 and now it's $66000) and added over $12000 in free stuff (i.e. new features, features that were previously paid upgrades, or features that were only available on higher trims):

Autopilot hardware and safety features (front and side collision avoidance, blind spot warning, lane departure warning, speed limit display)
12-way power adjustable heated seats
Tech package (most of it, i.e. navigation with real-time traffic, auto-presenting door handles, power folding mirrors, homelink, driver profiles, daytime running lights) - $3750
Alcantara headliner - $500
Wood decor - $650
Supercharging - $2000
Parking sensors - $500
Integrated center console - $1250
Parcel shelf - $250
Michelin Primacy tire upgrade - $1000
Turbine-style or aerodynamic 19” wheels - $2500

The car is also upgradable in that you can pay to unlock the full 75kWh battery, autopilot convenience features, and 72amp charger later on.

It's an incredible bargain for $66000.

What makes the refreshed 2016 Model S 60 an incredible bargain is that compared to the original 2012 Model S 60, they lowered the price almost $4000 (it was $69900 and now it's $66000) and added over $12000 in free stuff (i.e. new features, features that were previously paid upgrades, or features that were only available on higher trims):
I agree with you but am not certain that your list of specifics is complete.

You left out the fact that the headlights are now LED standard, compared to the old Xenon standard headlights.

Also, the base 60 now comes with the same drivetrain warranty as all other S versions, whereas a few years ago it did not.

The new 60 really is a great deal and shows just how much progress Tesla has made in just 4 years of S production: you now get a lot more for a lot less.

• Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW and commasign
Agree 100%. Great price to get into a Model S with the ability to upgrade to 75 in the future if needed. I've heard of some Model 3 deposit holders ordering the 60 since this was announced.

That would be me. I've cancelled one of my Model 3 reservations and ordered a Model S. I still plan on buying my Model 3 next year and that will be our 2 cars.

At the 60 price point, I get the acceleration and battery fade of the 75... along with the potential upgrade for years to come.

This can be said (lower prices) of other BEV/PHEV vehicles too. A couple of examples: The starting price of the Chevrolet Volt in 2011 was $41,000 while the 2017 starts at $34,095. The starting price of the Ford Fusion Energi in 2013 was $39,495 while the 2017 starts at $31,995.

Competition, EV production ‘improvements’, etc. etc. are moving prices down.

This can be said (lower prices) of other BEV/PHEV vehicles too. A couple of examples: The starting price of the Chevrolet Volt in 2011 was $41,000 while the 2017 starts at $34,095. The starting price of the Ford Fusion Energi in 2013 was $39,495 while the 2017 starts at $31,995.

Competition, EV production ‘improvements’, etc. etc. are moving prices down.
Agreed. I wasn't saying that it was not occurring in other EVs as well, just pointing out the significant progress Tesla has made in only a few years.

Media coverage generally does not acknowledge how fast EVs are improving in value for money, which ICE cars are basically at a standstill in that regard. Looking just 5 or so years into the future and EVs will be less expensive than a comparable ICE car.

It's interesting that EVs are generally following the tech/electronics pattern of yearly changes rather than the traditional auto pattern of yearly changes; less expensive for improved car rather than more expensive for improved car.

I agree that the long list of advanced features makes the 60 a great bargain, but I wanted to make the point that it seems to actually be a 63 kWh car, not 60.

It's a good thought but I've learned not to trust the ranges vs kWh advertised by Tesla:

Could EPA Range approximations for 90D be low to help sell more P90D ?

With that said, in the case of the new 60 I agree that Tesla is probably being conservative with the EPA range. The refreshed fascia and new slipstream wheels increased the EPA range from 288 to 294 on the 90D which is a 2% improvement. If we extrapolate that to the old 60 (which had an EPA range of 208 miles), a 212 mile range would be expected on the new 60. Or.. along the lines of your argument we're getting a "64kWh" equivalent if calculating it as a fraction of the 75's EPA range.

I agree that the long list of advanced features makes the 60 a great bargain, but I wanted to make the point that it seems to actually be a 63 kWh car, not 60.

Well, if you want to be more accurate, it's an approximately 75kWh vehicle that has been intentionally software crippled to be an approximately 60kWh vehicle. They are playing retail/pricing/volume games, the car costs them the exact same to physically manufacture as the higher capacity vehicle, therefore, one could easily get the impression that they are actually overcharging for the higher capacity vehicle, rather than offering a great deal on the lower capacity vehicle.

... Looking just 5 or so years into the future and EVs will be less expensive than a comparable ICE car.

Yeppers - we already see used Model S in the $40Ks today and by year-end they'll be in the $30Ks. At the end of next year, my own car's GRV value will be +/- $40K after accounting for mileage as stipulated in the agreement.

Point being that the monthly payment for, say, a $35K car after 10-20% down at 1.49% (recent credit union rate for used Teslas) already is in the ballpark of gas and oil for someone with a 100-mile daily commute (easy to do in SoCal). We're on the cusp of it finally making financial sense to have an EV as a daily driver - at least for people who drive a lot. Not to mention all the other savings that people tend to not immediately think about, plus the safety factor, benefit to humanity, and so forth.

And that doesn't even consider that there will be used Model 3s in the $20Ks in a few years. This means that i3 and Bolt owners will have to pay buyers to take their cars off their hands, I kid, I kid... sort of.

Agreed. I wasn't saying that it was not occurring in other EVs as well, just pointing out the significant progress Tesla has made in only a few years.
“Progress” yes but there's also simple marketplace necessity. The Model X and other market factors are affecting and will continue to affect Model S sales/demand thereby making (and having made) these downward price adjustments necessary in order to continue to attract more customers. Tesla, Ford, GM, etc. are all cutting prices.

Even ICE cars have been coming down in price. Twenty years ago, for example, a 1996 Honda Accord EX-L V6 sedan was $25,495 which is close to $40K in 2016 dollars. A larger, better equipped 2016 Accord EX-L V6 sedan today is only $31,580.

I'm highly considering waiting until the end of the year for the refreshed auto pilot hardware.. Also will give me some time to put some money away too.

Where do you guys find used model s for $40k? Tesla website CPOs are more like $55k for a 3 year old 60. No thanks.

And that doesn't even consider that there will be used Model 3s in the $20Ks in a few years.
Exactly. Think about this - In less than one traditional auto model cycle from right now (4-6 years) you can buy a gently used 2017 Tesla Model 3 P75D (or whatever the top model will be called) with 0-60mph of 3 seconds or less, autopilot, 250 mile range, and infinite mile powertrain warranty for about $20k. (Assumptions being an original price in the $50k-$60k range but offset by tax incentives for the first year or two of production).

The EPA rated range for the 60 kWh car is slightly more than 63/75 of the EPA rated range of the 75 kWh car. This suggests that when you buy a 60, you actually get a 63. For the 70 kWh refresh car (no longer available) the EPA range ratio is just about exactly 70/75.

Not sure where you are getting your EPA range estimates ... see below for the correct MPGe :cool:

upload_2016-6-19_15-13-16.png