Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 Minutes: Hands off the Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Merc demo is nice, but I've owned a 2015 S550, the Auto Drive is rubbish because of the nag (Hands on the wheel every 6 seconds).

I'm really itching to get Autopilot on my P85D, come onnnnn TSLA!

That Mercedes demo is impressive. Unless Tesla is ready to show off something comparable, I think they got enough mention for now.

It's one thing to demo your AP in a controlled environment under predefined conditions (as in the Merc video) and another thing entirely to put someone behind the wheel who isn't an employee and takes it out on the open road. These features aren't coming soon to Mercs this is a ways off. Tesla's tech on the other hand is essentially ready for rollout now.

There is so much hype and promises in autopilot from all manufacturers, that I really only care to see what is shipping.

This.

One of the most interesting things I heard was the Google employee, Chris Irmson quoted at 10:20 in the program
It's dangerous to require humans to snap to attention and take control at a moments notice so we stopped developing cars that put humans on call
The reason this caught my attention it that it agrees with my thoughts after my experience driving a loaner Model S with TACC, specifically, that it was tricky to turn my brain on and off alternating with the cruise. I found myself thinking: Does the Tesla see that car coming into my lane? Is it slowing down soon enough? Do I stare at the road or can I relax a bit?

I see this as a serious problem since the responsibility and the liability for an accident might come into question.

I am very worried about Tesla being sued by someone who didn't take control in time. Even if Tesla prevails, the publicity would be bad.

It's one thing to demo your AP in a controlled environment under predefined conditions (as in the Merc video) and another thing entirely to put someone behind the wheel who isn't an employee and takes it out on the open road. These features aren't coming soon to Mercs this is a ways off. Tesla's tech on the other hand is essentially ready for rollout now.

I expect Tesla's tech to be much better, but MB is shipping on the S Class:

- Adaptive cruse control
- lane holding
- pedestrian recognition
- blind spot assist

So it's not like what we're going to see from Tesla is something never attempted elsewhere.

As for the 60 Minutes piece, they were talking about autonomous driving and the challenges behind delivering it. Mercedes is willing to show off a technology they believe will take years to deliver, and, BTW, it's cool. Watching the car deal with a 4-way stop impressed me! In any event, being able to see a demo is much more of a story than hearing Tesla say, "we have done better, but we can't show you."

As for the 60 Minutes piece, they were talking about autonomous driving and the challenges behind delivering it. Mercedes is willing to show off a technology they believe will take years to deliver, and, BTW, it's cool. Watching the car deal with a 4-way stop impressed me!
The MB autonomous driving video is certainly highly edited and meant to show MB in a very favorable light. I doubt it works that well in real life. Google certainly has many many more miles of full autonomous driving miles on its fleet of cars and openly admits that properly handling 4-way stops is very hard for their software to do.