Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 Minutes: Race For The Electric Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing particularly new there although lots of good footage of Tesla HQ and some of GM's Volt operation. Interviews with Elon Musk and Bob Lutz, both saying this is expensive and hard to do...

TTAC's Tesla Death Watch take on the show:

60 Minutes “Race for the Electric Vehicle:” Lutz vs. Musk | The Truth About Cars

Only building a car is one thing. Building a million is quite another. And not only did Tesla fail to build the first customer car anywhere near its oft-delayed deadline, but its production is still a lot closer to single digits than… triple.

TTAC seems to be unhappy that Stahl was not harder on the company. A somewhat valid observation, which would go with the theme of the show: "Detroit is lumbering and cumbersome but is working hard to overcome this with the Volt. Silicon Valley is more nimble, but making cars is harder than they think."

But at the end of the day... comparing the Roadster to the Volt: while delayed and and low volume the Roadster did finally ship years before the Volt. A point that, of course, TTAC is unlikely to concede.

The only interesting thing I heard was when Elon said that the Whitestar project was costing about twice as much as he originally thought.

Did he say that? I thought he meant Tesla in general. He invested $55 million in Tesla which is about twice what he originally thought... but that was for both the Roadster and the Whitestar. Or maybe I am misremembering. I will have to re-watch.