Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 or 100 amp install and wire selection options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on routing a 5 foot section of suitable wire from my 200 amp subpanel behind quarter-inch pegboard to the wall charger rear entry port. (The garage wall is sheet rock with the pegboard attached via 1x2 furring strips).

My incoming model S (sans twin charger) only requires 60 amp breaker maximum. Do I plan ahead for a possible second electric vehicle and go with the 100 amp wire and breaker?

In either case, what is the best wire (Romex or rubber coated style) to route behind the pegboard into the back of the wall charger?

Thanks!

If its all indoor you can use NM-B 2/3 wire on an 100amp breaker which will allow continuous 72amp charging with the new HPWC. I am not an electrician by the way but I just got that wire installed to a sub panel in the garage on a 100 amp breaker

I purposely bought the 24' HPWC so I can charge anywhere in my garage. Unless you need to charge 2 Teslas simultaneously, there is no need for 2 chargers. Just charge them on different days. That's my plan for when I get a 3 to complement our S. It would take a long time to recoupe the cost of the 2nd HPWC unless you run a car rental, have two people with long commutes or are an Uber driver.

For ease of installation I decided on the 60 amp route with 6 gauge SE wire so I do not need conduit. If I get a second electric vehicle, I will probably just run a totally separate 60 amp circuit for it.

Is the pegboard going to be sufficient protection for SE wire? Seems like it might, maybe those more familiar with electrical code can chime in. At the very least I'd make sure any pegs with the wire behind them were covered up so they can't be used.

Reactions: valkeriefire
Good point. Since I only have to go one stud over I think I will cut some sheet rock and route the conductors in the wall behind the sheet rock rather than behind the pegboard. Since it is covered with the pegboard anyway, I will not have any aesthetic patching to do.

I am thinking of mounting the charger rather high and also try to incorporate some kind of retraction method similar to the long gasoline hoses available at Costco and a few other gas stations. That way, the business end of the charging cable can possibly float about 5 feet off the floor and just pull down to charge. Has anyone tried a partially spring, bungee, or retractable set up yet?

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
For ease of installation I decided on the 60 amp route with 6 gauge SE wire so I do not need conduit. If I get a second electric vehicle, I will probably just run a totally separate 60 amp circuit for it.

That caught my eye. Is 6 gauge sufficient for a 60A circuit? I don’t remember and don’t know the conditions of what table to use for that install.

As to the second (future) car, here’s something you may not know about, but is really handy. The new version of the Tesla wall connector can be connected together, so let’s say you can run them both from a 60A breaker, and it will dynamically allocate among them by however much each car needs, totaling up to 60A. This can be pretty handy, where you can have the two cars hooked up whenever you want, and it’s making really good use of the current capacity you have.

The service entrance wire I'm using showed a rating of 65 A on the Home Depot wire chart. It is a very short run and my car will only draw 48 A anyway. I just received my new wall charger today and I am aware that you can dynamically allocate usage among other chargers. But as someone mentioned up thread, a second charger may not be necessary or worth the extra money. In my case I do have a separate 30 and 50 amp outlet in my garage that I could use for infrequent second car charging.

If I did get a second charger I also have the option of making another separate 60 amp run as well. For what it is worth the hundred amp breaker cost four times as much as the 60 amp.

I installed a 100 A subpanel in my garage myself and went with 2/3 NM as it was easier than running conduit and I did not want any visible conduit. Not very expensive and pretty easy if you are handy. The 100 amp breaker was about 35$

I run two 14-50 outlets off the subpanel