Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 or 85--I Need Help in Deciding!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help guys/gals!

Starting to rethink 85 and get 60. Would really use around town, not for long trips (if I did I could always add supercharger later).

Real question is the 0-60 is quite different according to site--but what is half a second???

60 and 85 owners please pipe in! Pros/cons of either!!

I'm ready to pull trigger but need to know if 85 is worth it????

This way I get my 'feet wet' and if I really love this car, then I could sell and get P85. But hate to make huge investment if I end up not liking.

On another thread you indicated you were unhappy with the residual values quoted in the Resale Agreement. Maybe it would be best for you to stick with the 60. Less money invested and if you like the car it will probably (not definitely) be possible to ultimately upgrade to an 85 or 100?? in a couple years if you wish to keep the car but need more range.

I have had my 60 since May 3. My wife and I share the car. she has a 60 mile commute and my office is only 4 miles from the house. But there are days that I do long trips, about 110-130 miles, and have never come close to running out. Each day I start with 185 miles (std) and that seems to be just fine for us. At the time I bought this decision saved me $10k so I am sure I made the right decision. 95% of our driving is within the range of a charge. And now with the superchargers in FL I have made trips from S Fl to Orlando with no issues. The 60 is a great value, and BTW, not disappointed in the performance, everyone rides with a smile on their face.

I did a similar 'around town' estimation before I got the car...

When I bought the car I though it would just be a cool car, like a BMW M5.

I was wrong.

+1! Our 5540 mile trip across the western US would have been nearly impossible with a 60. Even with the full supercharger network, driving way off the beaten path will be difficult. Balance cost -vs- peace of mind and flexibility. Once you have the car your driving habits WILL change!

The question comes down to what options are you planning to go for?

For example, if you take the supercharger option and the Tire upgrade, the difference ends up 7k.

Though I have been wondering about one things though. With the battery swap stations. Technically, cant you upgrade to 85kwh at any time?

I have the Michelen Primacy tires on my car and I love them. +1 for that making the gap between the 60 and the 85 only $7000

Don't count on battery swap stations any time soon. I bet that you will still be able to count them with the fingers on one hand before 2016.

My recommendation, order the 60:
- Black, Brown, Green, or Red
- Tech Package
- Air Suspension
- Pano Sunroof
- Parking Sensors
- Tan Leather
- Obeche Matte

Drive it for a year -> Sell the 911 -> buy the Model S P85+ AWD -> then sell me your 60 ;)

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot Supercharging of course; a must for the Texas Triangle in a 60.

My recommendation, order the 60:
- Black, Brown, Green, or Red
- Tech Package
- Air Suspension
- Pano Sunroof
- Parking Sensors
- Tan Leather
- Obeche Matte

Drive it for a year -> Sell the 911 -> buy the Model S P85+ AWD -> then sell me your 60 ;)

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot Supercharging of course; a must for the Texas Triangle in a 60.

Got it :biggrin:

Starting to rethink 85 and get 60. Would really use around town, not for long trips (if I did I could always add supercharger later).

If you really mean this, then the 60 is plenty for around town. I have the no-longer-available 40 kWh version for my around town car, and I haven't yet regretted it nor have I thought of upgrading. However, if you do think you will want to take longer trips with it, I would suggest the 85.

If you really mean this, then the 60 is plenty for around town. I have the no-longer-available 40 kWh version for my around town car, and I haven't yet regretted it nor have I thought of upgrading. However, if you do think you will want to take longer trips with it, I would suggest the 85.

Agree. If you don't really plan on going outside of Austin much the 60 is more than enough. If you want to road trip it, the 85 is slightly more useful. Other than the money, you'll never regret getting the bigger battery pack. Get the P85 and the decision is made for you:)

You can't really go wrong either way..both great cars and far more range than any other EV.

A different thought: I have never heard from an owner of an 85 that they wished they had a 60.

Very happy with my stupidly quick 60. Even after driving a P85+ for a day of joy riding and don't think you'd notice the difference unless you were doing autocross or track days.
QUOTE]

I know you love your 60 but "not notice a difference between a 60 and a P85" is just nonsense. I just had a 60 loaner while my P85 was in the shop. I was positively surprised how fast the car is, but I could not wait to get my P85 back. As I quoted in another thread where I wrote about my experience, accelerating with the 60 you say "niiiiice", doing so with the P85 you say "holy sh$%^$t".

For me the only real choice is between the 60 and the P85+ (now). You are either a car freak and buying with emotions, then you need the P85 and you do not care about the money. If you are buying with your head and the calculator, I think the 60 is the better choice. Especially since battery technology will improve, so maybe in a couple of years you just upgrade your 60 to a 120. Just it won't give you more power because of the engine and inverter.

I think it may depend on where you live, and how many long trips you have taken.

For the Seattle area, a 60 kWh is plenty for me. I don’t know about Austin.

When ordering the car, I asked myself two basic questions:

1. What’s the maximum distance I have driven in the last 2-3 years?
    Answer: about 100 miles in one day.
  2. If I want to go farther, how will I do that?
    Answer: Our ICE vehicle or via plane.

It all depends on what you need.

Range anxiety fades quickly if you don’t need the range. Think about how many rental cars or airplane tickets you can rent/purchase for $10,000.

Very happy with my stupidly quick 60. Even after driving a P85+ for a day of joy riding and don't think you'd notice the difference unless you were doing autocross or track days.

I know you love your 60 but "not notice a difference between a 60 and a P85" is just nonsense. I just had a 60 loaner while my P85 was in the shop. I was positively surprised how fast the car is, but I could not wait to get my P85 back. As I quoted in another thread where I wrote about my experience, accelerating with the 60 you say "niiiiice", doing so with the P85 you say "holy sh$%^$t".

For me the only real choice is between the 60 and the P85+ (now). You are either a car freak and buying with emotions, then you need the P85 and you do not care about the money. If you are buying with your head and the calculator, I think the 60 is the better choice. Especially since battery technology will improve, so maybe in a couple of years you just upgrade your 60 to a 120. Just it won't give you more power because of the engine and inverter.

You do realize I said "unless" right? With a good reaction time in daily driving there isn't much on the road that can catch me around legal speed limits ;)

You do realize I said "unless" right? With a good reaction time in daily driving there isn't much on the road that can catch me around legal speed limits ;)

Yes, your unless was "doing autocross or track days". I never did either of them and realize the difference 100 times a day, so in my opinion your statement is still wrong. It would be correct if you say "unless you put the accelerator down more than 2/3" there is no difference. The same when you drive on the highway having your cruise control on, no difference :)

For me it is also not who/what can catch me. It's the poor joy of feeling that 3.9 seconds. After 10.000 miles I am still not sick flooring it, it's always that aaaaaaah feeling . And this feeling is just not there in the 60.