Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 to 75 battery upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to upgrade the battery to 75 on my 60 model.
I have the following questions.
1. WOuld there be any tax incentive for this upgrade if i do it next year since i purchased the car this year and claim the electric car incentive next year and claim for battery upgrade 2018 if its available ?
2. Is there any tax Tesla charges for this battery upgrade on $9000.
3. ANyone did this upgrade in recent times and whats their exprience so far with added miles ?

I can't answer your questions, but since the price difference between a 60 and 75 is now only 6500, I expect Tesla will reduce the upgrade cost in the near future.

At present the 75 upgrade for $9000 is extremely poor value since you get many of the larger battery benefits on the 60 due to the battery always operating in the sweet spot of the curve for long term health and charging speed.

I can't answer your questions, but since the price difference between a 60 and 75 is now only 6500, I expect Tesla will reduce the upgrade cost in the near future.

At present the 75 upgrade for $9000 is extremely poor value since you get many of the larger battery benefits on the 60 due to the battery always operating in the sweet spot of the curve for long term health and charging speed.
I would expect they lower the upgrade price for the 60s purchased at a higher price. Not for all cars. But who knows.

They would charge sales tax like tinted windows or any other aftermarket upgrade.

Not sure how insurance would treat it. As an upgrade, if it isn't declared, may not be covered.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Who knows is right, but basically they would look to balance the number of people who upgrade with the price per upgrade to maximize revenue.

I think the move to tighten the price delta is clear feedback that very few people thought the extra cost was worth it. Essentially they acknowledged that, so now it's a question of do they like money? There is a downside in terms of angering people who originally paid full price, but I'm pretty sure that went out the window when they made the 75kWh option free at the end of Q3 and Q4

I am looking to upgrade the battery to 75 on my 60 model.
I have the following questions.
1. WOuld there be any tax incentive for this upgrade if i do it next year since i purchased the car this year and claim the electric car incentive next year and claim for battery upgrade 2018 if its available ?
2. Is there any tax Tesla charges for this battery upgrade on $9000.
3. ANyone did this upgrade in recent times and whats their exprience so far with added miles ?

I upgraded my May 70D (last of its kind) to 75D recently.

1. No idea.
2. I live in Washington State and oddly I was not charged sales tax for the purchase. I paid for it in My Tesla.
3. After my purchase, the car recognized that the extra capacity had been unlocked within 60 seconds. The displayed changed to "75D". I definitely notice a much slower charge at Superchargers when I'm trying to hit those last few %s. Like, painfully slow. Those extra miles have helped me make long journeys in the cold where there are no Superchargers in between (Leavenworth, WA to Centralia, WA, for instance). But the biggest perk, for me, is that it helps with degradation. I'm about to hit 30k miles already, and I've now lost 11 rated miles. The extra 19 rated miles that came with the upgrade (from 240 rated to 259 rated) completely mitigates the range drop.

I would expect they lower the upgrade price for the 60s purchased at a higher price. Not for all cars. But who knows..
Those who didn't buy AutoPilot (1.0) reported that Tesla did not honor the "post-delivery upgrade price" when they wanted to add it later after it has gone up in price - the official company line is that current price is the price, doesn't matter what it was when you bought the car. By the same logic, if upgrade fro 60 to 70 goes down, they should use the same logic - of course they have 2000 reasons not to.
They would charge sales tax like tinted windows or any other aftermarket upgrade..
It depends on the state. In WA state all EV's were sales tax free, as were all upgrades to batteries or charging. Since then, the backlash against "subsidizing the rich" excluded Tesla's (or anything but leafs) from the sales tax exemption, however the other exemption is still in place. It's actually cheaper to buy a 60 and upgrade to 70 post delivery (10% sales tax saving is greater than the $500 fee for post delivery).

I just bought a Kia Soul EV basically because they threw it at me. It was priced at 36000 something. But they took $14,000 off and gave me the 7500 credit and then put me on a 3-year lease. Zero down and 250 a month. But the point is I didn't have to pay Washington State sales tax. Salesman said the cap was 37K.

Oh, and one other point, if people say "I'd love to have an electric car", tell them Kia is pushing them out the door. At least in Washington. Great little car. And does come with chademo port as well as the SAE.