Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 to 75 upgrade not avail anymore? why not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting upgrades from Tesla is a little like shopping at Costco. When you see something that you want and the price is good, you need to buy it then. Next week it may no longer be in stock.

Tesla has been offering an unlocking service for their 60 battery for a long time. Perhaps as the batteries age, upgrading them to full capacity may have some issues.

These upgrades often vary from car to car. You usually need to contact Tesla, give them your VIN and see if an upgrade is still available to you.

The early 75 (and 90 btw) lost a major portion of their range in the first few months to a year of operation from what I have read in the "what's your 90%" on this forum. The 90kWh are presumably built with the same cells as the early 75 but has more well published degradation behavior. As the article from electrek referenced below shows, avg capacity of 90 drops below 85 with the same mileage before 40k miles and keeps dropping below 85 even more after that.

Based on this, my guess is that Tesla discontinued the upgrade 60 to 75 for the 75 packs that have the 90-style cells, because at this point in time they start reaching the degradation where the upgrade will barely give any extra miles so there wouldn't be much point in doing it. If your pack has the newer version of cells (same cell as the 100 packs perhaps), Tesla would offer the upgrade.
This is why some people can upgrade while others can't. Why do you think of this hypothesis?

this article form electric shows it well I think.
upload_2020-9-20_12-53-36.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
This is why some people can upgrade while others can't. Why do you think of this hypothesis?
What leads you to believe this is the case? From what I’ve seen it seems to be applied consistently, and the option to unlock via the app isn’t available to anyone any more.

As for “the upgrade will barely give any extra miles so there wouldn’t be much point in doing it” - regardless of the amount of degradation, the unlock will always net you about a 14% range increase over whatever your current max is, so I don’t see how that’s really valid. Software locked 60s degrade too, just like every other car does - they aren’t fixed at a specific number of rated miles, but rather a specific state of charge.

Won’t deny the 75s have seen some significant degradation - my Dec 2016 75 RWD is down to 220 rated range miles at 110k on the odometer (from 249 when new).

What leads you to believe this is the case? From what I’ve seen it seems to be applied consistently, and the option to unlock via the app isn’t available to anyone any more.

As for “the upgrade will barely give any extra miles so there wouldn’t be much point in doing it” - regardless of the amount of degradation, the unlock will always net you about a 14% range increase over whatever your current max is, so I don’t see how that’s really valid. Software locked 60s degrade too, just like every other car does - they aren’t fixed at a specific number of rated miles, but rather a specific state of charge.

Won’t deny the 75s have seen some significant degradation - my Dec 2016 75 RWD is down to 220 rated range miles at 110k on the odometer (from 249 when new).
It is based on post #2 in this thread. Snipealot got 60 to 75 upgrade while others seem to not get it. he/she go the performance uncork at the same time which means it is a new style 75 battery (the 90 era 75 can't be performance uncorked, which has been widely discussed and established in threads on this forum, which is why I deduct snipealot has the new 75). Good point about the % range increase. It makes sense. On the other hand if the batteries wear out even faster at full charge that could be another reason for not offering the 60 to 75 upgrade?

Last edited:
Now that it's available again, I had the unlock a few weeks ago for my December 2016 S. More than covers the degradation. 90% started at 188 and got down to 175. After unlock, 80% is 183.
Great that you got it!
I don’t believe this to be true either. Lots of early 75Ds (months earlier than my Dec ‘16 example and well within the “90 era”) have been uncorked.
not true either? What’s the other thing that’s not true?

Resurrecting this forum because I’m in the same boat.

I’m curious if the user Tar.sor really can unlock the 60D battery to 75D and reactivate supercharging... he is banned now... so that’s not to reassuring.

Anyone have any advice of what can be done or to talk to at a Tesla SC to at least unlock the entire battery?

• Love
I didn’t upgrade last year when it was available and regretted it come winter. If they are upgrading again I’ll do it for sure. It’s not showing up on my app nor on my Tesla page so hopefully the service center does it. Ironically it’s in for service right now with MCU and unbalanced BMS issues. I wonder if never charging to 100% throws the BMS out of whack?

• Informative
I didn’t upgrade last year when it was available and regretted it come winter. If they are upgrading again I’ll do it for sure. It’s not showing up on my app nor on my Tesla page so hopefully the service center does it. Ironically it’s in for service right now with MCU and unbalanced BMS issues. I wonder if never charging to 100% throws the BMS out of whack?
Potentially.

upload_2020-10-12_4-20-7.png

• Informative
Reactions: Olle
Athenadriver,
Unlocking 60 to 75 is now possible at the service center. Part number:
BATTERY UPGRADE, 60kWh to 75 kWh, MS(1091845-06-A)
Cost now is $2250 plus $10 labor for the new 75 badge plus tax.
They also think that the option to upgrade is available in the app under upgrades, but it wasn't for me.

Thank you!! Just did the upgrade and I can confirm!! It is $2250 for the Unlock, and addition $75 If you want the uncork so that 0-60 drops from 5.2 to 4.2!