Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 To 75 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's $9000 after you buy vs 8500 upfront, interestingly you are getting the 75kWh battery with the car but it's limited to 60 by the software. Most reports I've read indicate you can fully charge the 60 to 100% without drawbacks unlike the other tesla options with it being like this.

The whole "pay $9K later to upgrade" thing is probably more of a theoretical benefit than a real one for most folks. Let's face it, most folks (me included) considering a 60 are likely either unable to afford a 90 or just can't stomach dropping that kind of coin...so they are shopping at the Model S 60 price point. Will they REALLY be positioned to drop an additional $9 grand "later on" at some point for the upgrade?

Now take it a step further and say it is three years out and you decide you want more range. Is it really going to be worth it to sink $9 grand into a 3 year old Model S given what we will likely see with battery advancements, the arrival of the Model 3 and other competitors. I cannot imagine there is ANY WAY you'd get much of that back in resale. Heck, you'd likely be better off just selling your Model S 60 and putting that money into a equivalent 3 year old used 90D which would give you an even bigger battery, more performance, etc.

I suppose, the one use-case I see for the $9K upgrade is folks who are right on the edge with regard to whether a 60 would have enough range for them. If they go in knowing that and are prepared to spend the $9K extra right from the get-go (and thus just wait to see one way or the other) then this is a nice "try before you buy" option. As stated though, those folks are prepared to drop the $9K immediately if need be.

Obviously, the 75 upgrade is great for Tesla if folks trade the cars into them as they all magically become 75s with a few keyboard clicks...as an aside, depending on how Tesla prices these newly realized 75s as CPOs this could be a stinger for the existing 60 owners trying to sell outright.

Reactions: Max*
Although I wasn't absolutely sure I needed the extra range of the 75 vs the 60, I went with the 75 from the get go. Did some EVTripplanner.com routes and it seemed the add'l range would come in handy. So my thought process was that it would be better to be able to roll the $8500 into a loan at 1.5% then paying out of pocket $9000.

If its true about truly no harm occurring to a S60 and going to 100% that is fantastic news for my new order.

I would still be gun shy in doing it unless there was a way to really make sure it was ok.

Now take it a step further and say it is three years out and you decide you want more range. Is it really going to be worth it to sink $9 grand into a 3 year old Model S given what we will likely see with battery advancements, the arrival of the Model 3 and other competitors. I cannot imagine there is ANY WAY you'd get much of that back in resale. Heck, you'd likely be better off just selling your Model S 60 and putting that money into a equivalent 3 year old used 90D which would give you an even bigger battery, more performance, etc.

As an owner of a "classic" 60 now 3.5 years old, I would definitely be interested in purchasing a new/upgraded pack at some point for a fair price.

My reasoning is:
1) I tend to take good care of my cars and prefer to keep what I know instead of buying a CPO car with a less known history.
2) Annual personal property tax.
3) I would appreciate some more range for the occasional longer road trip.

Each year I pay 5.2% local and State tax on the assessed value of the car. This can really add up on a high end car. Any options or aftermarket additions are not included (I could put in a high end stereo and not be taxed on the value of the audio system). Since the rest of the car is in good shape, I figured I could upgrade the pack and get more range at some point when battery pricing eventually improves due to decreased production costs (Tesla asking $9k to get 25% more range under the 60 to 75 upgrade deal still seems steep). Tesla has yet to offer anything like this to existing owners but has hinted that they might at some point.

The whole "pay $9K later to upgrade" thing is probably more of a theoretical benefit than a real one for most folks. Let's face it, most folks (me included) considering a 60 are likely either unable to afford a 90 or just can't stomach dropping that kind of coin...so they are shopping at the Model S 60 price point. Will they REALLY be positioned to drop an additional $9 grand "later on" at some point for the upgrade?

I suppose, the one use-case I see for the $9K upgrade is folks who are right on the edge with regard to whether a 60 would have enough range for them. If they go in knowing that and are prepared to spend the $9K extra right from the get-go (and thus just wait to see one way or the other) then this is a nice "try before you buy" option. As stated though, those folks are prepared to drop the $9K immediately if need be.

Obviously, the 75 upgrade is great for Tesla if folks trade the cars into them as they all magically become 75s with a few keyboard clicks...as an aside, depending on how Tesla prices these newly realized 75s as CPOs this could be a stinger for the existing 60 owners trying to sell outright.
One way to look at it is that if you are going to get the entire $7500 tax credit as a rebate you could use that to pay for the upgrade when it comes in rather than financing the amount up front.

Reactions: e-FTW
I can confirm this statement as I spoke with Tesla about it. It even works that way with a software limited 75kw battery stopped down to 70kw. I have a 70D operating this way.

Can you elaborate on the source here? I've got a software limited 70D, and was told by my DS that they still only recommend charging to 90%

If that's not true, I would set my charging to 100%.

Yep, here is what it looks like on My Tesla.

I'll tell ya, I'd love the ability to rent the additional range. I don't need it day to day, but it would be nice for road trips.

I'll just keep dropping that hint in different threads.. maybe someone will listen. :)

Attachments

• upgrade.PNG
    upgrade.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 187
Same. I have a 60S was told to charge to 90%. Wish I could get a better answer. I'm pretty sure 100% is fine, but double confirmation would be nice.

Honestly, I doubt we'll get anything official in writing from Tesla on this... mostly as this deincentivizes owners to pay to upgrade for the 75kWh option either from the start or later down the road. As effectively get pretty much the "daily charge" range of the 75kWh if we can do this safely all the time.

Personally, I'm considering upgrading shortly after I begin my lease... mostly as have some unexpected income coming in that I don't have when the lease is likely going to start.

I see the Upgrade button on My Tesla now as well, except it's $4000 CAD + tax to go from 70 to 75kWh. I'm desperate for more range or faster charging but it's about twice as expensive as I'd consider at this point :/

you all with 60 batteries need to first understand what the actual capacity of your battery is: only recent 60's are 75's with software limiting the battery to 60. These new cars are capable of the upgrade as noted.
Older 60's are actually 60kwh batteries: there is currently no upgrade path for folks currently. Battery upgrades were made available for early 85 owners to 90's at a cost of 22,500.
As for the charging to 100%: Tesla has to tell you to charge to 90%, otherwise folks would figure out that there is no reason to upgrade.

you all with 60 batteries need to first understand what the actual capacity of your battery is: only recent 60's are 75's with software limiting the battery to 60. These new cars are capable of the upgrade as noted.
Older 60's are actually 60kwh batteries: there is currently no upgrade path for folks currently. Battery upgrades were made available for early 85 owners to 90's at a cost of 22,500.
Thanks for the education;)

Welcome to the Forums!

Keep searching. There are numerous threads with this discussion, over and over and over and over. Try ti find one a little newer than 8 months with no activity. Sorry there is no definite answer for you, or I would give a short version. To really understand, you will need to read the opinions and arguments from several owners.