Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 to 90?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In regards to the 100D (not P100D) the 0 to 60 time is listed as 4.2 sec. However, I have not read anyone's assessment concerning 60 to 90 mph passing speeds. How does the S compare to other comparable cars such as the 8 cylinder BMWs/Mercedes/Audis?

In regards to the 100D (not P100D) the 0 to 60 time is listed as 4.2 sec. However, I have not read anyone's assessment concerning 60 to 90 mph passing speeds. How does the S compare to other comparable cars such as the 8 cylinder BMWs/Mercedes/Audis?

This is kind of unscientific. I just moved from a 70D to 100D, and I definitely notice a lot more passing power at highway speeds on the 100D versus the 70D.

I came from a 3.0T Audi A6. I would say in terms of highway passing power, below 100mph both the 70D and 100D will outclass the turbo/supercharged V6 equivalent competing Audi/Mercedes/BMW. But it will not be able to match the passing power of the higher end V8 turbo models (e.g. S6, S8, BMW M5/550i, Mercedes-AMG, etc).

With that said, the latency and instantaneous response is a TON better on both Model S's, compared to those sedans. On ICEs, between the downshift and spooling and mechanical inertia, it takes about 1 second to develop full acceleration, which leads to more uncertainty around a tight passing maneuver, not to mention the sudden noise and exhaust cues other drivers (and nearby police officers) to your stunt.

• Informative
Reactions: Gur814

Coming from a high performance (550 HP) BMW sedan I was underwhelmed by the acceleration of the 90D at freeway speeds when I took my first test drive. Off the line is of course untouchable, but screaming acceleration from a stop is not at all useful in day to day driving, whereas good acceleration at freeway speeds is. I bought the P90DL and I find the acceleration at 60+ to be more than acceptable, exhilarating even.

I would DEFINITELY agree that compared to a 550HP gas car, a non-P Tesla will not have superior freeway acceleration. It might give you a momentary head start in instantaneous torque, especially compared to modern 550HP gas cars (which are turbocharged and come with 8 or 9 speed transmissions for fuel efficiency)….

But I have found that screaming acceleration from a stop and at low speeds has more benefit than freeway acceleration. But that depends on the kind of driving that you do.

For me, my biggest use cases for acceleration are the ones I listed, such as using a second lane at a red light to beat someone else to an onramp line…. Or if you are stuck a slow freeway lane and want to jump into the carpool lane going 60 while you're going 20. In both of those cases, I'd rather have a Tesla (be it 60D or 90D) over a 550HP gas car, because of the quick and predictable response time and also the ability to do the maneuver without exhaust roaring and tires screeching.

Coming from an 13 Audi S6 i feel the real world acceleration from my 75D is comparable although a bit slower. Never lost a race at the light in either car and the 75D feels quicker to 40 but the Audi would destroy it during highway acceleration. I now prefer the predictable acceleration of the Tesla but I miss the burble of the V8s.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximilien
Each module is 25V. The large pack cars (85-100) have 16 modules and the small pack (60-75) only 14. That means the voltage of the small pack is 350V and the large pack is 400V. That gives the large pack cars a little more kick when you hit the go pedal.

• Informative
Reactions: P100DHG.
Coming from an APR stage I tuned Audi S7 with 578 HP and 635 FT-LBS of torque, my kids and I honestly feel that my 90D provides more excitement and pull than my Audi S7. Granted, I'll never be able to do 60-200 MPH in my Tesla, but once I hit 160 MPH in my S7, I realized I didn't want to take it any higher as I wanted to live another day.

Linear pull and 155 MPH is enough for me, thank you very much.

Reactions: Lee_B
Coming from an APR stage I tuned Audi S7 with 578 HP and 635 FT-LBS of torque, my kids and I honestly feel that my 90D provides more excitement and pull than my Audi S7. Granted, I'll never be able to do 60-200 MPH in my Tesla, but once I hit 160 MPH in my S7, I realized I didn't want to take it any higher as I wanted to live another day.

Linear pull and 155 MPH is enough for me, thank you very much.

I had a the GIAC stage 1 on mine. Fortunately I had mine in Italy for the first year and drove it 160 mph daily . I miss it and love the Tesla at the same time. Great car and great times. I wish I could take Tessie overseas for a tour