TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

60 vs 60D - What will I miss out on?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by miken79, Nov 12, 2016.

1. miken79

miken79 Member

Right now I have the base 60 with EAP ordered. Today is my last day to make a change to my order and I've been conflicted about it all week. Is there anything I'd be missing out on besides the obvious by not getting the dual motors? It seems to be just the slightly more range, AWD and 0-60 speed.

2. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Not missing anything. You will love the car. Enjoy.

3. miken79

miken79 Member

That's good to know. Thank you!

It's going to be a long 4 months!

4. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Is worth it!

• Love x 1
  5. wesley888

wesley888 Member

Dual motor cars have better regenerative braking. Recover more power if that matters for you.

I love going skiing, so dual motor matters for me. Do you go places that have snow often?

6. Watts Son

Watts Son Member

Four months ? Is that how long they told you your wait would be? Thought it was about 6 weeks when I last checked

7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Slightly longer average range, longer highway range overall, slightly better acceleration, better regen, better adverse weather performance, more even tire wear. I am happy with my choice of getting the 60D over the 60.

8. simplesolid

simplesolid Model S 60 AP2 Glass Roof

I ordered mine this week and they are saying delivery before xmas. I am hopeful.

• Like x 1
  9. RBowen

RBowen Member

Minor point: 60 avoids some front motor whine you will get in the 60D.

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  10. Watts Son

Watts Son Member

I was concerned about the whine and the sales guy took me for yet another test drive in complete silence and regenerative braking was far "louder" than any dual motor whine...I think they addressed this issue or maybe I just had a good experience-I checked the "D" box.

• Informative x 1
  11. miken79

miken79 Member

Picked a day closer to the end of my current lease. So I'm not paying for two cars at once. The buyout on my lease was pretty bad :-(

12. miken79

miken79 Member

Nope. Actually just got the email my order is locked in now. Didn't really see that dual motors was worth it for me.

13. NAVALARCHITECT

Ordered mine this weekend and have it scheduled for delivery Jan 2017 early.

14. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I had a 75 (non-D) for a few days last week in very wet weather. I was impressed with the traction control abilities.

15. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Do the RWD ones still not have a self closing charge port, or do they all now?

16. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I'm 99% sure the RWD had a self closing charge port. I had two very close together and I think both had that feature.

17. miken79

miken79 Member

I thought it was extra?

18. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Seems stupid to me to build 2 styles, so I figured at one point the no-self-closing would fade away, but I don't know the status.

I do know I'm going AWD for my next one. PA winters have snow, and I want the improved 0-60 ;)

19. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

You'll be missing out on the big D!

20. Skryll

Skryll Member

#20 Skryll, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    A friend of mine just got his S60 and loves it, best car he has ever driven.

That being said, the biggest difference between D and non-D not mentioned here is AWD (all wheel drive) on the D, which allows you to drive on the snowy roads without having to stop and put chains on.

If you dont do that very often it may not matter to you. We love winter sports and were lucky enough with early TSLA investments that we could afford the Model X 90D and were real happy for the first time to not have to worry about snow chains when we were all caught by a surprise early snowfall on the pass up the hill and everybody had to stop.